Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Steam Forgotten Password email

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 pm

I just got an email from Steam saying to reset my password enter code bla and answer the secret question in the Steam Client. I haven't requested a password reset and the only other computer my credentials have ever been used on (at my parents') wasn't used to generate it either.
Is this somebody attempting to steal my account? It doesn't appear to be a phising scam; it's from the right email address and says not to reply to the email. I'm mostly just very confused.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Steam Forgotten Password email

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Was it addressed specifically to you, or was it addressed to "Dear Steam user"?

Seeing as how you didn't ask for a password change, I think it's smells phishy.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Hoser wrote:

My concern is more that maybe somebody has figured out how to steal accounts when they're in some "lost password" phase than that somebody is hoping I email them my account details. ;)
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Look at the full header of the email that was sent, usually you can tell by what system it was sent by, Hotmail, yahoo, etc. If it lists something like then its a phishing attempt. (the emails from Valve usually say Valve.com if I remember correctly.)

In any case if you have a strong password disregard it. But if it something relativity easy I would change it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I would notify Valve of this. If it's legit, they'll tell you so. Do not contact them through any info in the email. Go to the Steam website and use the info there.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 pm

SNM wrote:
Hoser wrote:

My concern is more that maybe somebody has figured out how to steal accounts when they're in some "lost password" phase than that somebody is hoping I email them my account details. ;)

If you didn't ask for a password change, then your account would not be in that lost password phase to begin with. do as tanker said and check the full header of the email. You can also check the properties of it for more info. Like I said in my first response...you can send them an email with your concerns. I'm sure they'll look into it because of what happened to them a few years ago when someone hacked into their system & got customer cc #'s.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm

The way most web sites work is that anyone can request a password reset, just by knowing the account name. The key is that the information required to complete the reset goes only to the e-mail address which was registered to the account.

There are two possible scenarios in this case:

1) Someone else really has requested a reset for your account. As long as your e-mail account has not been compromised, this should be harmless.

-or-

2) It's a phishing scam.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Hoser wrote:
If you didn't ask for a password change, then your account would not be in that lost password phase to begin with.

Well, somebody else could have done it; I believe it just shows up on the Steam login box, doesn't it? So you put in somebody else's ID and then request a password reset.
do as tanker said and check the full header of the email.

I'm no expert, but that looks completely legit. Hops on a few Valve servers and then it gets into Google's system.
Like I said in my first response...you can send them an email with your concerns. I'm sure they'll look into it because of what happened to them a few years ago when someone hacked into their system & got customer cc #'s.

Yeah, I'm doing this now just for safety's sake....wait, no, I'm not. Valve has a lot of different addresses associated with their support system but they don't really like emails -- I can't even find one on their site! :lol: So perhaps it is a phishing attempt and they want you to reply so they can intercept. How very weird.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

another possible option would be if someone uses the same username as you elsewhere and honestly thinks they own that account, when in reality they had to choose another name. that happened all of the time with one of my old user names. when I would go back and claim it I could enter the username or email associated with it. upon using my email, I had a different username than I remembered.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 pm

SNM, did you start here Create a New Support Account https://support.steampowered.com/register.php ?
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech