Topic Author

Minecraft

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:13 am

Ok what is this new drug about?

What is the "secret"?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Re: Minecraft

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:36 am

The best intro is probably to read this series of blog like posts (starting from the bottom), then probably watching this trailer and then checking out the wiki for studying the crafting recipes... Eh, maybe watch the trailer first... Purists would tell you to just download the game and give it a whirl for at least the first day/night cycle but I think a little context is a good thing.

The game is already genius but the potential is staggering!

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am

In short: During the day you build shelter to protect yourself from the things that come out at night.
Last edited by Dizik on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 pm

It also happens to be a huge blast with friends. Going around lighting pigs on fire and whatnot....

Its also cool to build some really fun things. Me and my room-mates are actually in the process of building a Pyramid, which the highest point is 55 Cubes high. God its taking so long, we got 1/4 done last night.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Dizik wrote:
In short: During the day you build shelter to protect yourself from the things that come out at night.

Things, what kind of things? And what about the trailer that says you are not alone, whats that all about. Maybe I should try it. Is the .exe on the site a full fledged game or do I have to wait until the servers are up again?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 pm

haha that house fire is great. My brother and I got it a month or so ago and have played a good bit. I've been on a break since I dug into a volcano and lost a ton of diamonds :lol:

We never really tried to figure out the multiplayer part... how can we get in the same world?

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 pm

The game you can download on the site lets you play the singleplayer game. I'm going to guess the experience improves greatly when played with others though. Me and a friend were having fun with the water earlier. Making all kinds of crazy flows and the unexpected results that come.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm

I've been playing it for quite a few months now. A friend and I have our own server, too.

Great little game, worth the $10
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 pm

It looks interesting but there are people that pay for game that is still in alpha? Is it really that good?
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:30 am

So I played it for a few day night cycles and while interesting I give it a, meh. I can see where it can be very addictive especially when trying to see what can be created.

Now if only the Penny Arcade comic were true that would have been cool and I would probably would have played it even more:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1015 ... Yok6-L.jpg
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

liquidsquid

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 am

I have to say the burning house made me LOL at work. I will have to check that out, I love physics-based games.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:33 pm

We have a dedicated Minecraft server for the TR regulars if you're interested.

This game is 8-bit crack cocaine.

PM me for connection details.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:19 pm

tanker27 wrote:
So I played it for a few day night cycles and while interesting I give it a, meh. I can see where it can be very addictive especially when trying to see what can be created.

Now if only the Penny Arcade comic were true that would have been cool and I would probably would have played it even more:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1015 ... Yok6-L.jpg

The PA cartoon nails SMP (Survival Multiplayer) exactly. If you were playing the Classic game, no crafting, no monsters, then yes, it's just like playing with legos.

The real game is SMP with friends on a shared world, and it's absolutely worth the $10 even though it's in Alpha. Hands down the best money I've ever spent on a game.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:53 pm

I don't know... I bought the game and I haven't played it much since. The amount of investment that you have to put into your creations is very high, tremendously so if you're not "cheating" (server admins giving you tools). The survival aspect of it is also very shallow. I guess at some point I want to "test" my creations out and there's really nothing offered in the game, yet, that allows me to do so. If it continues to grow then I may come back. Until then $10 to support a very interesting project is still worth while to me.

kvndoom

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 pm

axeman wrote:
Personally, I don't really get it, but I don't seem to get a lot of things. But this is funny as hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

I laughed. and laughed. and laughed. and laughed.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:53 pm

axeman wrote:
Personally, I don't really get it, but I don't seem to get a lot of things. But this is funny as hell:

I loved it... now, that is how children learn not to play with fire i guess ;)

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Aphasia wrote:
axeman wrote:

I loved it... now, that is how children learn not to play with fire i guess ;)

Two of my other favorites are the 16-bit ALU vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug

and the 73 TNT animal cannon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeV0XB-w_yM

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 am

Thought I'd bump this thread with our latest server renders:

http://www.trgw.com/mc/12_3_10_day.jpg (14mb jpg)

http://www.trgw.com/mc/12_3_10_night.jpg (22mb jpg)

Bonus points if you can spot the giant menorah I made a couple nights ago.

Now that SMP damage is fully implemented, and since we have monsters turned on, the building projects are coming along more slowly but the sense of satisfaction is greater.

Edit: I update these weekly those links have expired.
Last edited by emkubed on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 am

if anyone is still interested in this game and has not bought it yet, I have a giftcode you can have. Just reply here, first come first served :-)

ztrand
Gerbil First Class

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 am

and the winner was mmmmmdonuts21!

(pm's work just as well)

TaBoVilla
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:21 am

I'll be purchasing this sometime down next week. I just cant wait

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Am I missing something or is this the only post that discusses Minecraft? :o

I even searched for the keyword 'bukkit' and only 1 hit came up (my own post)... interesting? No one runs their own NON-VANILLA public/private server?

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Haha, you would bring this thread back. :)

BTW, my server is drfish.dyndns.org:25565

It is vanilla and there's a white list. We plan on re-gen-ing the world when 1.8.x or whatever it settles on comes out.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:44 am

1.8 is out.

Most of the bugs were squishied during the pre-release phase. Sadly some texture packs (my fav included) still show spiders and endermen as white. I've read it's a transparency issue in the texture and not an actual bug. The new features and terrain generation is quite epic.

EDIT: Just going to post a pic of my castle from 1.7.3 http://usera.imagecave.com/Philldoe/Minecraft_Castle.png
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:48 am

Philldoe wrote:
1.8 is out.

Most of the bugs were squishied during the pre-release phase. Sadly some texture packs (my fav included) still show spiders and endermen as white. I've read it's a transparency issue in the texture and not an actual bug. The new features and terrain generation is quite epic.

EDIT: Just going to post a pic of my castle from 1.7.3 http://usera.imagecave.com/Philldoe/Minecraft_Castle.png

The TR/CBE server has been updated, but you'll have to go on a walk to generate the new biome content.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:54 am

My server is still running 1.8PRv2 but I will update it tonight.

We've been playing with 1.8 since it was "leaked" on Friday (patch with the user-made fix for the XP orb bug). Its buggy and incomplete but super fun. I especially love the retooled world generator (oceans!!!). Now if we could just find a Stronghold...

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

drfish wrote:
My server is still running 1.8PRv2 but I will update it tonight.

We've been playing with 1.8 since it was "leaked" on Friday (patch with the user-made fix for the XP orb bug). Its buggy and incomplete but super fun. I especially love the retooled world generator (oceans!!!). Now if we could just find a Stronghold...

Have you redone your worldmap yet? Two biomes, Taiga and Tundra are out until Beta 1.9.

I hate regenning just to get new biomes.

FWIW, I'm not scrapping the CBE map. We have a year's worth of grand projects that people would stop playing if we lost 'em, so we're thinking of having a mass exodus to new shores chunks to get the new content. You can walk back when you want to see the Old World. :)

Corrado

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I actually only bought it last Sunday. Been playing the hell out of it. Enjoying it so far, but only in Single Player.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 pm

We did start a completely new world and will likely do so again for 1.9. Our server is pretty small, only about a dozen people on the white list and rarely more than 6 playing at the same time and everyone was ready for a fresh start. Besides, check out how cool the new world looks, I don't want our old fugly one messing up the atheistic.

Behold! Warning, it links to a 16MB png...

The loop on the left side is my epic multi-day ocean voyage. Also, just look at how cool our starting area was with the large mountains on the smallish island...

Corrado

Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:08 pm

drfish wrote:
We did start a completely new world and will likely do so again for 1.9.

What do I need to do to play on your server?