Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Minecraft

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 am

Hm, that puts an interesting possible spin on the whole bukkit imbroglio...

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:44 pm

drfish wrote:
I don't really play much anymore but ugh, this is worse than Facebook buying Oculus... :cry:

I would agree, except that I think the "heyday" or peak for Minecraft has already ended. It wasn't ever planned to have a long support cycle and is why Markus quit working on MC a few years ago. The most recent update (1.8) was major, but it was also a full year in the making.

Mojang figures the game is in decline and just wants to cash out on it now which I can understand. But I don't see how Microsoft expects to recoup >$2B in costs unless they were planning aggressive merchandising and a "Minecraft 2". Which I would expect to be dreadful, even without Markus leaving after the acquisition....

superjawes

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 pm

So, not to distract from the buyout rumor, but has anyone checked out the new world generation options? I started a test world with the gold, iron, and diamond settings turned up, and there was basically no regular stone...just caves made out of resources :lol:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Kougar

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:03 pm

The Wall Street Journal reported on the "rumor", so it's probably going to be a done deal. Which I find utterly hilarious after I was reminded about Markus' comments regarding Windows 8 being unfriendly for indie devs, or "Facebook is not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts.". I guess money speaks louder than words. :P

superjawes wrote:
So, not to distract from the buyout rumor, but has anyone checked out the new world generation options? I started a test world with the gold, iron, and diamond settings turned up, and there was basically no regular stone...just caves made out of resources :lol:

Hmm, I forgot to make a new world to check out that stuff. Sounds like I will have to do that!

I was playing with the super secret video setting and it now does some crazy changes to the game rendering. It can go line mode, full monochrome, blurry (for people that want to tell their boss the monitor is broken and needs an upgrad I guess?), as well as some Borderlands-esque rendering. The options were pretty neat.

The new village mechanics look pretty well, liking the trade setup much better now. Diorite / Polished diorite just makes me think of Oreo stuffing though...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:52 pm

5150 wrote:
Just wondering if anybody else is running a server? I haven't played for a while and it looks like Gleek took his down, or changed the URL... Thanks!

i'm back up again. same url/default port (minecraft.thegleek.com), but with a new map, still latest vanilla server 1.8

the
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 pm

superjawes wrote:

The new world generation options are impressive but very easy to get worlds where actually land would is below bedrock or above max height.

Lava oceans are diabolical, though bugged if next to swamps.

Village generation is also bugged in several subtle ways. For example, raising the sea level can easily produce villages below that.

There are still several options not exposed in the GUI. Max height is configurable but requires a bit of jumping through hoops to do a larger max height with custom generation options.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 am

superjawes

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am

the wrote:
superjawes wrote:

The new world generation options are impressive but very easy to get worlds where actually land would is below bedrock or above max height.

Lava oceans are diabolical, though bugged if next to swamps.

Village generation is also bugged in several subtle ways. For example, raising the sea level can easily produce villages below that.

There are still several options not exposed in the GUI. Max height is configurable but requires a bit of jumping through hoops to do a larger max height with custom generation options.

I think that's why they say "FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY" on those pages :lol:

As for the purchase, I want Minesweepercraft to be a thing now...get on it, Microsoft!

To serious conversation, keep an eye on MS for the next couple years. I don't think Microsoft has any malicious intent, or any plans to alienate gamers, but we haven't had a lot of confidence in management for several years. Here's hoping they don't screw it up!
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 pm

thegleek wrote:
back up again. same url/default port (minecraft.thegleek.com), but with a new map, still latest vanilla server 1.8

That doesn't appear to be a new map gleek.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:31 pm

Glorious wrote:
thegleek wrote:
back up again. same url/default port (minecraft.thegleek.com), but with a new map, still latest vanilla server 1.8

That doesn't appear to be a new map gleek.

how so?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:18 am

The chunks at spawn weren't generated by 1.8, I was digging around and never found any of the new stone types.

I've generated new 1.8 worlds, I should have hit the new types almost immediately.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Glorious wrote:
The chunks at spawn weren't generated by 1.8, I was digging around and never found any of the new stone types.

I've generated new 1.8 worlds, I should have hit the new types almost immediately.

Oh! I think this was a earlier 1.7 map upgraded to 1.8, so if u travel a little bit, you'll find new block types.

tehno
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Took me a while to find the new blocks also, little patience and you'll get to them.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu May 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Heya, just wanted to let the players on my MC server know that I've put up a map of the entire world (as requested). I think only StrangeDay and DLHM are regulars on my server, but all are still welcome to join us...

http://gleektable.com/gleekcraft/

Since the map generated is over 2gb, I'll update this by request only. thanks! :)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2015 6:22 am

OMG its a post from thegleek. :wink:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks!
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:38 am

did you see the new E3 tech demo with microsoft's new HOLOLENS and playing minecraft?? ITS MIND BLOWING!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg

so awesome - i want it NOW

druidcent

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:50 pm

So, Minecraft :)

I've now had 2 requests from friends and family on how to set up a Minecraft server :D Only being tangentially aware of the game, I thought I'd ask here, what are the best options to do so?

The main request I'm thinking is from a friend who is looking at the whole shebang, (They were looking at purchasing a box), but the more I looked into it, would a VPS be a better way to go? If so, what should I look for to recommend? They already have a machine on which they play, the thought was to set up a server for a friend. Would an AWS Free account work? It looks good for up to a year, and seems powerful enough.

Is it easy to setup a Minecraft on a VPS? My Google-fu suggests so, but the articles were a bit old.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:57 am

It's not any harder than doing it on a regular server.

You need java, preferably just the head-less run-time environment, a terminal multiplexer (for direct console access), and the server jar file from mojang. You have to run it, set this generated eula.txt file to "yes I agree", change the server.properties to you liking, and that's just about that.

If you want any help, just let me know.

druidcent

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:52 am

So with a VPS, would PuTTY or Terminal (from a Mac) work as a terminal multiplexer? If that's all, then I'll probably recommend the Amazon Free Tier AWS to try it out.

How long does setting up the server take, excluding install time? Sounds like it should be about 15 min or so..

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:12 am

druidcent wrote:
So with a VPS, would PuTTY or Terminal (from a Mac) work as a terminal multiplexer? If that's all, then I'll probably recommend the Amazon Free Tier AWS to try it out.

Well those are just regular terminals. The issue is that if you just run `java -jar minecraft_server.jar` right after you use putty to ssh in, well, once you close putty for any reason, you just terminated your minecraft instance. So, you can either make your minecraft instance into a daemon (which is a little more involved and precludes direct console access to the minecraft instance), or more simply just run a terminal multiplexer so that you can detach from the multi-plexed terminal and it'll keep running "in the background".

Practically-speaking, I use GNU screen. You can write a script, or simply type `screen` and then press enter, and then type `java -jar minecraft.jar` and viola, off you go. You then press Crtl-A+D to detach, and if you only have one screen instance, type `screen -R` to reattach.

druidcent wrote:
How long does setting up the server take, excluding install time? Sounds like it should be about 15 min or so..

Yeah roughly. You have to say "yes" in the eula.txt that will be generated when you first run minecraft server, and then you need to also fill out server.properties with your desired settings. There are guides out there that tell what each property does.

And make sure you get minecraft_SERVER.jar, not the normal minecraft client jar.

like, you'd run `wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Down ... .1.9.2.jar`

druidcent

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:36 pm

If it's running on AWS, why would the server get killed when the the terminal window is closed?

I thought the point was to have the server available for people to log in whenever they are available, and have the server worlds persist.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:55 pm

druidcent wrote:
If it's running on AWS, why would the server get killed when the the terminal window is closed?

Because, like anything else, when you run `java -jar minecraft_server.jar` from bash, the shell becomes the parent process to that task. Thus, when bash terminates (which will happen when you close putty on your local machine), it sends a HUP signal to the java child process you just spawned. This will exit your minecraft server instance.

There are numerous ways to avoid this, but the easiest is to run a terminal multiplexer like screen. That way your bash session never terminates and you don't need to worry about any of this.

druidcent wrote:
I thought the point was to have the server available for people to log in whenever they are available, and have the server worlds persist.

Of course, and I'm telling you what's probably the easiest and least complicated way to do that with minecraft.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59 pm

nohup command strikes me as a possible option too.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

druidcent

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Glorious wrote:
druidcent wrote:

Because, like anything else, when you run `java -jar minecraft_server.jar` from bash, the shell becomes the parent process to that task. Thus, when bash terminates (which will happen when you close putty on your local machine), it sends a HUP signal to the java child process you just spawned. This will exit your minecraft server instance.

There are numerous ways to avoid this, but the easiest is to run a terminal multiplexer like screen. That way your bash session never terminates and you don't need to worry about any of this.

druidcent wrote:

Of course, and I'm telling you what's probably the easiest and least complicated way to do that with minecraft.

Ahh ok.. I'll blame it on my lack of coffee this morning. :D Just a brain freeze.

druidcent

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks for the help. over the weekend, I think I set it up, but as I don't play, I haven't gotten confirmation that it's been set up correctly, can anyone help me out?

2 other questions:

1) Can one server manage multiple worlds? If so, do I need to set it up, or can I designate someone else to do so from the MC client? If not, do I need to run another instance, or another server on the same instance?
2) I'm assuming that since I didn't change any of the settings, anyone who has the host address can join... is there an easy way to change that, and how easy is it to manage who can join?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:24 pm

druidcent wrote:
1) Can one server manage multiple worlds? If so, do I need to set it up, or can I designate someone else to do so from the MC client? If not, do I need to run another instance, or another server on the same instance?

Outside of some crazy and ill-advised mod that probably doesn't even exist, yes, you should run a separate instance which will require a separate port. You can run this on the same server pretty much the same way as you ran the original one. You just open a new screen and you change the server.properties file to use a different port number (like 25566).

druidcent wrote:
2) I'm assuming that since I didn't change any of the settings, anyone who has the host address can join... is there an easy way to change that, and how easy is it to manage who can join?

You need to use the whitelist or anyone can join by default.

https://www.beastnode.com/portal/knowle ... ivate.html

druidcent

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:06 pm

So in my instance, I've got a minecraft directory in which the server is running, should I create a minecraft-2 directory and run the server JAR file there? and adjust the properties?

Dposcorp

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Hey all, I dont play minecraft, but the kids do.
12-18 months ago, is was a pain at times to put on the mods they wanted.........has anything changed?

Is there a way to download a build with mods already installed, and they can just log in?

equivicus
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:37 pm

I just started looking at running a server again and stumbled upon MineOS. Its TurnkeyLinux tweaked for the sole purpose of running Minecraft servers. I installed it on an old laptop and it seems to run very well. You could also run an instance of MineOS inside Virtualbox if you didn't have any hardware to dedicate.I believe it supports a bukkit plugin for mods but I've not explored that yet.

https://minecraft.codeemo.com/