Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Re: Help me pick a racing game

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:24 am

bdwilcox wrote:
Sounds like a deadzone issue, especially if the wheel is a Logitech.

With my DFGT, I run 220-270deg rotation and 80% steering sens.....I have no deadzone in most cars, a small amount in some of the very slow cars, but they're too slow to be a penalty.
I find his compliant to be very odd 2bh.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:45 am

Here's someone having the oscillation problem with a DFGT in GT5.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:06 am

LOL....sounds about right.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Using my DFGT, I've played enough of Shift2 Unleashed that I can recommend it.
It needs a patch though, but you can still do plenty of stuff in the game.
Bathurst is to die for, and IMO, the best track other than Nordscheife.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 am

CaptTomato wrote:
Using my DFGT, I've played enough of Shift2 Unleashed that I can recommend it.
It needs a patch though, but you can still do plenty of stuff in the game.
Bathurst is to die for, and IMO, the best track other than Nordscheife.

God I hope they get a demo out soon... I just want to SEE this game on my system!

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:20 am

Airmantharp wrote:
God I hope they get a demo out soon... I just want to SEE this game on my system!

Not sure what their demo plans are....I heard that the last one sold 5million copies, and this one is much more demanding so they might not release it till sales really cool down if at all.
It should kickass on your system though.

Here's a guy who goes to great lengths to compare his own Mercedes 190e at Nurburg vs the same car in the game, and he says that overall they've done a very good job from the sim side of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_hmuKI ... ture=feedu

If you have any specific questions, just ask me.....but my view is, if you liked the first one, you'll like this, that said, both games are tricky to get right as far as setting your wheel, but you can always borrow my settings.

Anyone who can post fast times at Bathurst in elite mode with a fast car is a real champ, as that's one of the most difficult tracks.
But this game has all the driving aids in the world for anyone worried it'll be to hard to drive, and also has many slow cars that are easy to drive.
The night racing is quite overated if you ask me, but your cockpit is fully illuminated if a car is close behind, so that's a nice effect.....plus lighting is dynamic and one of the reasons it's more demanding than the first.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcAd42Wb ... ture=feedu

Sim racing tonite's first look at Shift2 on the PC.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:05 am

I think I'll do more than 1000 laps just in the GT3 Corvette.....what great piece of machinery, basically perfect by every measure.
One minor problem that might only bother hardcore sim nuts is that these cars have plenty of rear grip, but that's not to say power oversteer can't be induced.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 am

S2U has been somewhat improved by the patch, however, MP and SP still suck, so this is a hotlaps game that doesn't record your laps times, LOL.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 pm

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=32004

Sick of the drudgery of the career mode trying to earn cash?.....install this simple and effective mod, it's someone else's save file with unlimted cash, so you can buy any car you want.

W7...

goto My documents/Shift2 unleashed/profiles folder, and simply replace the default save file with this one....don't forget to make a copy of your original, and be aware that you'll have to change all the video/audio/wheel settings to suit.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 04, 2011 1:31 am

Shift1 now on sale at Steam for $6.80....a must buy for those with a wheel.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 am

I like S2U, but I'm going to need to at least get a MS produced gamepad on the cheap somewhere. I can't drive for **** with a keyboard :).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 04, 2011 7:53 am

CaptTomato wrote:
Shift1 now on sale at Steam for $6.80....a must buy for those with a wheel.

I bought it and I don't even have a wheel. Definitely worth $6.80. I do have a 360 controller, which outside of a wheel is the best way to play it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I like S2U, but I'm going to need to at least get a MS produced gamepad on the cheap somewhere. I can't drive for **** with a keyboard :).

Me either, that's why for the sake of drivability and the incredible immersion, you really should pony up for a wheel....I guarantee you won't regret it, the only regret will be that you didn't buy one yrs ago.
Get a DFGT for great cost/performance ratio, or go straight to the top of the order and get a Fanatec with those clubsport pedals....those pedals are worth 2-4secs a lap.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Anyone buy the GT power pack ex for RACE07?
I'm curious what the BMW's deal is, I mean there's a M3 GTR in Evo, is this the same pace or faster?

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 am

I have precious little experience with PC racing games, but I do attend trackdays and time-attack events in real life. I've been a regular track monkey for about two years now, even managing to beat faster Civics with my stock Honda Fit - especially on short, twisty technical circuits where big power isn't such a factor. Driving around with a stock car with a gutless engine basically taught me how to hone my driving skills first and squeeze out the maximum out of a car before relying on big power or turning to modification.

That said...I can definitely say Gran Turismo 4 and 5 are very, very close to the real thing. Of course you're not going to get the longitudinal-G of braking, nor the lateral-G of taking corners at speed (go attend a real trackday for that), but the way you have to modulate your brake and throttle to cobble together a decent lap time...they have it down pat. Disabling traction control and stability assist goes a long way toward jacking up the realism. The lack of realistic damage modeling isn't a huge deal for me, because most of the time I spend playing GT4 or GT5 is for practicing proper racing lines through circuits and attempting new ways of attacking corners.

Something has to be said about playing a driving game with a proper steering wheel. I got a Mad Catz MC2 wheel for my PS2 a while ago and I haven't looked back since. Despite the limited steering lock on the MC2, it's much much more immersive compared to playing with a gamepad, and the amount of control you gain with the pedals just can't be replicated with even full-analog control over the PS2/3's buttons.

My two cents. By the way, that's me attacking the chicane at Batangas Racing Circuit last February.
Ad astra per aspera.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:26 pm

bluepiranha wrote:

That said...I can definitely say Gran Turismo 4 and 5 are very, very close to the real thing. ]

Buy GTR Evo for PC and let us know what u think......that said, if you rate GT5 so highly, then u might also like Shift2 for PC.

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

CaptTomato wrote:
bluepiranha wrote:

That said...I can definitely say Gran Turismo 4 and 5 are very, very close to the real thing. ]

Buy GTR Evo for PC and let us know what u think......that said, if you rate GT5 so highly, then u might also like Shift2 for PC.

Will do, in the near future. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not much of a PC gamer as of this writing, and you caught me in the process of making a gaming rig which I've been planning in my head for a year or so. Incidentally it'll be my first DIY rig build project too.

In my country I've heard good stuff about GRiD, as well - seems like it's attracted a following.

Shift2 has this "helmet cam" feature I'm not so sure about; supposedly it emulates the real-life habit of a driver turning his/her head from the front windshield to "look beyond" a corner for obstacles. Reviews on that have been mixed so far, based on what I've read. Have any of you tried it? Any thoughts?
Ad astra per aspera.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 pm

You know, we have a System Builder's Anonymous forum, if you want to check your build!

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:04 am

bluepiranha wrote:

In my country I've heard good stuff about GRiD, as well - seems like it's attracted a following.

Shift2 has this "helmet cam" feature

GRID was one of the first "next gen" driving games released on the PC, so that will be appealing to many, but after I discovered sim racers, I wouldn't pay 2cents for GRID, and it doesn't help that neither my xbox pad nor my DFGT work with this game on PC, so IMO, if you're into realism, give GRID a wide birth.

As for Shift2.....it's all about the driving, forget about any fancy features, MP etc, it's just whether you want to drive awesome looking cars on a superb selection of tracks+ IMO, many of them feel quite realistic......Shift2 is a crazy mixed bag of greatness and a whole lot of garbage, but certainly at a lower cost purchase for a ex racer, I think you'd find value in it, especially if as it turns out, GT5/Shift2 drive closer to reality than many think.......don't forget, that in most people's minds, the more difficult a car is to drive, the more realistic.

Last but by no means least is the simbin stuff, RACE07/GTR EVO/RACEON+ 22 000 expansion packs, LOL.....but all jokes aside, this is one of the greatest sim racers ever made.....outstanding MP, IMO, the benchmark for non subscription based MP, a huge range of cars and tracks, epic replays, and maybe the best FFB to date......you really owe to yourself to get RACE07+GTR EVO which includes 20 and 24km versions of Nurburgring.

Simbin also have ingame text based chat, lap time records via 2 methods{shift2 has NONE other than your fastest time ever}, and downloadable set ups ingame.
I always buy the latest racing game, but I always come back to simbin as it's the best for those who prefer the racing.

Palek
Gerbil

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:20 am

Another vote for GRID and Dirt 2. For sheer mindless arcade driving fun (using a controller) these games are awesome.

I'll also add an old favourite of mine which should be in the Steam bargain bin. Flatout, the original one, is a blast to play. No better way to win than to destroy all the other cars - and not just in demolition derby!!! :)

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 am

Palek wrote:
Another vote for GRID and Dirt 2. For sheer mindless arcade driving fun (

I highlighted the operative word :wink: :wink:

Palek
Gerbil

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:38 pm

CaptTomato wrote:
I highlighted the operative word :wink: :wink:

No, no, you're doing it wrong. Let me fix that for you.

For sheer mindless arcade driving fun (using a controller) these games are awesome.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-8f_Fv ... ture=feedu

Here's a funny but informative video review of Dirt3 on the PC.....also check out this guys other video reviews on Shift2 unleashed etc.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 am

Palek wrote:
CaptTomato wrote:

]

I'm someone who prefers racing cars doing racing on racing tracks, I also like to race sims in a competitive but fair manner online.....as for most other racing games, especially those that have built in computer aid, I'm not interested in those at all, and it surprises me that people at a place like techreport would favour arcade over sim.

Palek
Gerbil

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:23 pm

CaptTomato wrote:
I'm someone who prefers racing cars doing racing on racing tracks, I also like to race sims in a competitive but fair manner online.....as for most other racing games, especially those that have built in computer aid, I'm not interested in those at all, and it surprises me that people at a place like techreport would favour arcade over sim.

What surprises me is that you continue pushing your point when we are talking about matters of personal preference. Different people want different things from games, okay? Is that possible for you to accept? Not everybody wants an ultra-realistic driving simulator.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:36 am

CaptTomato wrote:
Palek wrote:
CaptTomato wrote:

]

How could you not expect people at a place like TechReport to have differing tastes in games? I can easily make the argument for either Sim or Arcade, but both come down to what you want to get out of the game. Most people would argue for arcade, simply because they want to enjoy playing a game instead of spending their time dealing with a learning curve. But most people don't actually race cars :).

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 am

Palek wrote:
What surprises me is that you continue pushing your point when we are talking about matters of personal preference. Different people want different things from games, okay? Is that possible for you to accept?

Oh I understand, people do things that I deem as odd/unusual all the time, but from my POV, I'd prefer to talk up games that have a stronger sim underpinning as IMO it's more fun/challenging/rewarding than arcade/simcade games where the computer is your co-driver.
That said, I'm moreso anti games like GRID as opposed to F1 2010 for example, as F1 is way more realistic than GRID, and also has the huge bonus of working exceptionally well with my DFGT.....for example, once you get your steering values set in F12010, you can exit eau rouge at about 325kph.
Last edited by CaptTomato on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 am

Airmantharp wrote:

How could you not expect people at a place like TechReport to have differing tastes in games? I can easily make the argument for either Sim or Arcade, but both come down to what you want to get out of the game. Most people would argue for arcade, simply because they want to enjoy playing a game instead of spending their time dealing with a learning curve. But most people don't actually race cars :).

I'm just going to bat for the more sim like games, so I'll favour Simbin, F1 2010, Shift, but criticize GRID, Blur, Split second, TDU2 etc.
I remember driving a Lambo in GRID down the main straight at Spa with a KB, and being able to stop from 300kph to 150kph within a few seconds and without any bother, and I also noticed that the computer was doing the driving around hair pins......compare this to GTR2 or Gtr Evo's Lambo mod, and it's a completely diff experience, ie, YOU have to do all the work, like pick a braking point, watch out for brake lock up, watch your entry speed into corners, and be relatively precise with your steering inputs.

To me, that's much more fun and rewarding than having the PC do 50% of it for you.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Nice one simbin.....after the Raceroom nonsense, you're back on track.
New patch for Race07 and co, and I also bought the GT power pack, which features an awesome BMW.

For those wondering where to start with all these simbin add ons, get Race07 and GTR Evo first and build up from there.....and make sure you get a wheel, ideally a G27 or better if you're a competitive person, otherwise a DFGT offers incredible value for money.
All the add on packs seamlessly integrate into RACE07{the mothership}.

GT power pack cost me $7 aussie dollars, 3 cars and 2 tracks.....{steam]