Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Dumb A.I in NFS: Hot Pursuit

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:31 pm

...Let me explain. There are a few things with the way computer driven controlled cars are handled in this game that make winning events a matter of luck, rather than actual skill. You also feel like sometimes the game is never going to let you win regardless of how good you are - It will force you to race some events 10-20 times before it will let you win.

Firstly (and mostly the reason for this post), I got the super sports pack today. I went straight for the Veyron S.S. for a race I have been struggling with (it's the last one left to do for Racers - Called SeaCrest Tour). I'm zooming down a freeway at 258MPH in the Veyron, 1.5 Miles to the finish line. It's a dead straight run flat out with no bends, and I don't tag a single car to slow me down - Somehow, I get overtaken by 3 A.I. driven McLaren F1's going in excess of 258MPH (The top speeds of these cars is no more than 230MPH when I drive them). And they don't slowly crawl by neither, they pass like I'm not even moving, and there was no way I could catch them. I led for the whole race, but perfectly for the game, in the last mile I went from 1st to 4th and score no medal. What the :x. :evil: :evil:

There's also an inconsistent bug in the game if you are trying to take down racers. Sometimes you can smash into an A.I. car at a great closing speed with your Nitro on, either going right up it's rear end or taking it out form the side. The result = Sometimes it says I have crashed!!! It takes 3-4 seconds to reset your car and you've gone from 1st to last.

Finally, the general traffic that drives around - It's very clumsy. There's perfectly placed cars in bends off the road itself, if you go wide you will crash into one. The game will also place these silly things on the inside of bends, completely stationary forcing you into a wreck. The kicker though is the lorries, sometimes you meet these 2-4 abreast on road sections, with no way of getting round them or weaving through. It's quite frustrating.

I can't believe I am the only one to observe this behaviour in this game? I'm pretty annoyed by it, and others have commented who have been over for gaming sessions how the A.I. seams to be really biased, and can in some races make it impossible for you to win (as per my 1st example).

I think I will just retire this game and call it a day unless the game will actually start making events achievable. This is the first game I have ever played that makes me angry, and feel like the game itself is actually cheating.

Rant over. :wink:
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Dumb A.I in NFS: Hot Pursuit

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:37 pm

That's funny, never happened to me, but yes, i always knew that Veyron was the second best car and always choose the CCX *carbon fiber version* ...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 pm

I like the impossible level of competition that it offers, but i do agree that this wasn't the best way to do it. Now in my experience in about every race near the end they put on the brakes if you've played a generally good race. This gives the feeling of a challenge up to the end when it seems you're given what you deserve, but i haven't played far enough in to say with certainty it uses such a concept. The game also suffers from babying just as much. Try parking on the side of the road for 30 seconds or so only to find you're about 10 seconds behind once you get going. Either way yea, i like the difficulty but but being at the mercy of a hacking a.i. is a bit annoying and unfair.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:43 am

Meh, I like it.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Welcome to Burnout. This is exactly why I hated the race modes in those games, too. I loved the Crash Junctions in Burnout 3 and 4 (and, FWIW, both games are worth the cost of admission for those events; they're awesome), but did not enjoy the racing at all. Burnout Paradise was better about it but still had the odd "you cannot win" event.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Veyron_COP
Gerbil In Training

Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 am

rcs2k4 wrote:
...Let me explain. There are a few things with the way computer driven controlled cars are handled in this game that make winning events a matter of luck, rather than actual skill. You also feel like sometimes the game is never going to let you win...

...This is the first game I have ever played that makes me angry, and feel like the game itself is actually cheating.

Rant over. :wink:

I must say that I share the same sentiments as you have. The AI, it seems, is written by one hell of a sadist :wink: The specifications of cars have no relation to the way they perform during races, if it's an AI opponent. If it's a cop, they can smash you from behind at over 300km/h in a car that has a top speed of less than 280km/h while you are racing ahead in a car at its top speed of over 300km/h. Another grouse is the damage, if we are a cop, the racers' cars will be extremely difficult to wreck while our cars will get wrecked ultra fast. If we are a racer, it's just the opposite. You can see low-slung exotics zooming on off-road trails while our speed in the same low-slung exotic will be very much limited.

Oh, and there's an over dose of time trials - I got bored of racing against time and not with other cars.