I miss old games... Bring them back!

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: I miss old games... Bring them back!

Postposted on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Starfalcon wrote:Plowing through Baldur's gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape torment right now...its like 1999 all over again.

Lord knows you have the 1999 hardware to go with it. :)
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:25 am

first thing that comes to mind: MOHaa... spent years on that game.
technoguru
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:47 am

This is why I maintain a Windows 98 gaming rig.
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm

I miss the old adventure games. The games from the heyday of LucasArts. Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Sam and Max. Some of these series have had a bit of revival, but the originals were so entertaining when they first came out. Full Throttle and Grim Fandango still rank up there as my favorite games of all time. Can't forget The 7th Guest and the 11th Hour either.

The old Origin games stick out too. The Ultima series, exlcuding VIII and IX, are still some of my favorite RPG's. The Underworld series, Wing Commander, and even some of their lesser known titles like Moebius, Space Rogue, and 2400AD.

I'll go back even further and hit the text based adventure games too. Escape From Rungistan and Leather Goddess of Phobos. I can't mention text based games and not mention Zork. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a gru.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:53 pm

I think I spent most time on X-Wing, and Tie-Fighter.. lol i remember scrounging 4x256kb sticks of ram from my brother to have 5 mb of ram, and massaging a gorgeous boot disk to play them well, ah the good old days :P

I have great memories of playing Duke 3D via direct modem connection with my best friend and his 2 brothers as well..

I spend many hours playing WoW since it launched, but its not the same feeling at all. There was something about that direct modem connection.. even later with C&C and TA.
iMac Retina - 32GB- 1 TB SSD - M295X
elmopuddy
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

elmopuddy wrote:...even later with C&C and TA.

**** yeah. Null modem games just felt...better.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.7 GHz | 16 GB | GTX 780 SLI | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 480 GB Extreme Pro
Waco
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 am

I wanted to play Civilization 2 the other day. Wouldn't install in Windows 7 so I need to figure out how to set up an XP partition. Not sure I can find my XP keys any more, so I couldn't be bothered.

I'll miss that game, though. :(
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:I wanted to play Civilization 2 the other day. Wouldn't install in Windows 7 so I need to figure out how to set up an XP partition. Not sure I can find my XP keys any more, so I couldn't be bothered.

I'll miss that game, though. :(

You could try an older version of Windows, like Win98 (keys easy to find, no activation required), and install it in Virtual PC (which is a free download).
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Previous

Return to Gaming