The MMORPG RIFT (Beta)

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

The MMORPG RIFT (Beta)

Postposted on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 am

Hey everyone!

This tuesday I got invited to join the open beta testing for the new mmo RIFT. I had previously played loads of different mmos like WoW, Guild Wars, Lotro as well as free games such as Rappelz (man that sucked, still leveled to 120...) 4story and a bunch of others i can't even remember what they were called. I had never heard of RIFT before, however, and after playing for a few days it seems like a very good game. Keep in mind that I am still in extremely low levels (~17). As far as I can tell, it has good controls, fancy graphics (for an mmo) and a really developed skill system. The quests are also good and somewhat innovative.

One of the problems that I have is that it tries to emulate WoW a lot. The professions, loot system, questing and more, are practically identical. Then again, these features are very standard in this genre, so perhaps I should not be surprised.

Are any of you guys playing in the beta? What do you make of it?
MSI 890FXA-GD70 / AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB / ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB "DirectCU" / Corsair CX 500W / In-Win Fanqua / **** HDDs (Next upgrade)
Roberi
Gerbil

Re: The MMORPG RIFT (Beta)

Postposted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:20 am

It's an unapologetic wow clone, and an ugly one at that. I'd be willing to experiment with it more if there wasn't some drama with the people I would have been playing with.
Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 am

/notplayingbeta

Roberi wrote:One of the problems that I have is that it tries to emulate WoW a lot. The professions, loot system, questing and more, are practically identical. Then again, these features are very standard in this genre, so perhaps I should not be surprised.

WoW is an Everquest/et al clone; I wouldn't be surprised.

I feel that WoW is an incredible example of Blizzard taking everything that is right with MMOs, and making them accessable to the common person. They're like the Apple of the video game industry; and they've continued to evolve the game intelligently around the community. Emulating their success, I think, is the safest thing to do. You'd be stupid not to, IMO!
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:29 am

Ttocs wrote:It's an unapologetic wow clone, and an ugly one at that. I'd be willing to experiment with it more if there wasn't some drama with the people I would have been playing with.

Well, I wouldn't be so harsh, having played more (and particularly playing a warrior class, by far the funniest) I actually really liked the gameplay. As far as the graphics and art direction go, I think that Rift looks a lot better than WoW but this is all my opinion of course.

Airmantharp wrote:/notplayingbeta

I feel that WoW is an incredible example of Blizzard taking everything that is right with MMOs, and making them accessable to the common person. They're like the Apple of the video game industry; and they've continued to evolve the game intelligently around the community.

Sure, I totally agree that Blizzard has a good game with a good thought behind it (you would be quite a fool not to), but I am not getting the same feeling when playing Cataclysm as I got when I played vanilla. It just doesen't do it for me anymore. Perhaps this is because the game has changed almost everything.

Airmantharp wrote:Emulating their success, I think, is the safest thing to do. You'd be stupid not to, IMO!

I couldn't disagree more. Games that try to copy other more successful games make for really boring user experiences (I think Oblivion emulated by Two Worlds II is a good example). Games that look like other games do not interest me. I think we need some innovation. MMORPGs are so open, why just not go crazy with new takes on skills, professions or even leveling. Why not take some inspiration from games like the fantastic Magicka(!) which uses perhaps the most intuitive skill system I have used.

I would just like to see something new.

/R
MSI 890FXA-GD70 / AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB / ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB "DirectCU" / Corsair CX 500W / In-Win Fanqua / **** HDDs (Next upgrade)
Roberi
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

I agree with the sentiment of wanting to see something new. Certain things about rifts I like (namely, the rifts). I havn't seen it myself but I've heard some stories about different types of rifts spawning and expanding unchecked till their borders overlapped and then fighting each other. Overall, however, not that interesting to me.

I've actually tried out a number of MMOs and there's almost always something I like in them that the others don't have, but there's never been one with enough of those things to really get its hooks into me.
Creamsteak
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Roberi wrote:
Ttocs wrote:It's an unapologetic wow clone, and an ugly one at that. I'd be willing to experiment with it more if there wasn't some drama with the people I would have been playing with.

Well, I wouldn't be so harsh, having played more (and particularly playing a warrior class, by far the funniest) I actually really liked the gameplay. As far as the graphics and art direction go, I think that Rift looks a lot better than WoW but this is all my opinion of course.

Airmantharp wrote:/notplayingbeta

I feel that WoW is an incredible example of Blizzard taking everything that is right with MMOs, and making them accessable to the common person. They're like the Apple of the video game industry; and they've continued to evolve the game intelligently around the community.

Sure, I totally agree that Blizzard has a good game with a good thought behind it (you would be quite a fool not to), but I am not getting the same feeling when playing Cataclysm as I got when I played vanilla. It just doesen't do it for me anymore. Perhaps this is because the game has changed almost everything.

I've played since Vanilla and while I've played mostly right along, I have taken a few breaks here and there, and I have never considered myself "addicted" to it, but rather play because its fun between other games, good to socialize with friends, and/or ect; I have a different impression of the changes. I was disappointed with the push towards an AOE fest and less crowd control play, and the move towards classes becoming more generic while no longer requiring a specific class to really make the raid go better because of what the class could bring to the table. The leveling content in BC turned me off, but I enjoyed the end game. For me, the opposite could be said for FT in terms of content, but the aforementioned on aoe and class specifications became egregiously bad.

And come Cata. I think it has restored some sanity loss by the AOE fest of the last two expansions and I enjoy both the leveling content and end-game content so far. My only gripe with the expansion is the individuality each class used to have and what they represented. This goes from major spells and talent changes to minor things like every race able to become a paladin, etc.

If it weren't for the class issues, I would have only good things to say about Cata.
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Return to Gaming