Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Xbox modded as media player

Thu May 29, 2003 3:35 am

Anyone running a modded Xbox as a media player? I'm looking for something to play DVDs off the console's DVD drive, and DivX/MP3s off a networked file server and am wondering just how easy this is to do once I've got a mod chip installed.

As I understand it, installing Linux on a modified Xbox is pretty easy, and I assume getting media player stuff to work from there is trivial for those familiar with *nix. However, I'm interested in hearing about anyone's personal experiences, or if there are any HTPC-specific front-ends or distributions that will do what I want. Sure I *could* surf TR from an Xbox, but I'd rather be able to play media from a networked drive if that meant getting a nicer interface and potentially easier installation routine.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 29, 2003 10:51 pm

Go to my site http://www.xteammods.com and post in the forum, you should be able to get some answers. I run all sorts of stuff off my box, from movies to NES and Snes stuff. I have a 120 gig drive in mine, so I have lots of room for all sorts of stuff.

OutlawRecon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:53 pm

BTW they are making something called Xbox Music Mixer which does all that for you and lets you do karoke and stuff. Looks pretty cool.

house
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:21 pm

Xbox is an excellent media player and you can do it easily without installing all out linux. Only thing it doesn't have is a Tivo like feature (probaly in the works right now) Although the mod chip might get you into problems running online games, but gamespy offers a easy way around it.

ChangWang
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:53 am

Diss you can take care of this easily with the Xbox Media Player. Check it out, it can even play shoutcast streams.

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de