Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Re: Battlefield 3

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Eh that's not right. I bought the expansion yesterday and I just played it right now.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:42 am

well I'll see what origin looks tonight, and if it still isn't right I guess it's off to tech support I go.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:18 am

Well, it was just a guess. Lots of stuff recently has been time released for earlier purchasers, so it wouldn't surprise me if B2K was launched initially for those of us that got the Limited Edition.

With that being said, I'm sure your problems were nothing more than trying to play the new hotness on launch day. Origin was more than likely overwhelmed with new players.

Relevant: http://i.imgur.com/ho3V2.png
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 am

Dizik wrote:

At the expense of someone I LMAO. That is one classic chat session!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 pm

The old abandoned BF1942 gun emplacements at either tip of Wake Island are a nice touch.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 am

Well, I got it working last night after being forced to call tech support.

They gave me a product code for the expansion, which I redeemed in Origin. It still didn't show up there or when I started the game from origin.

They made me restart my computer :roll: and it still didn't show up.

The fix was that I had to log in to battlelog directly, as in, log out and log back in on the website. Origin STILL doesn't show the game.

If anything is killing PC gaming it is this kind of nonsense. Why are they releasing a AAA title + expansions through a barely functional game service that even says it is "beta" software?

MW3 on the 360 just works. No wonder I spend more time playing it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am

I hate to say it But thats just DICE. BF2 was broken for the longest time and its server browser was barely functional. Heck its probably STILL broken.

When a DICE game works its fun as hell but when its broken...... damn them it like pulling teeth.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:30 am

tanker27 wrote:
I hate to say it But thats just DICE. BF2 was broken for the longest time and its server browser was barely functional. Heck its probably STILL broken.

When a DICE game works its fun as hell but when its broken...... damn them it like pulling teeth.

yeah dice is mindful of gameplay design like no other FPS developer but they fail at story they fail at menus and meta game every time. Battle log is a decent enough idea but their execution is pretty horrid. I'm really surprised how much stuff DICE fails at now. Its not the 90's its not a pc only dev and yet it continually makes the STUPIDEST mistakes.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 am

Their problems boil down to their projects needing a Project Manager. I hate to say it but their "vision" is too large for their "scope". The vision is good, it shows the big picture but you have to break that up into smaller chunks, the scope.

I certainly see what they are trying to do with the Battlelog but they need to focus on its most important feature and thats listing and connecting to actual game servers. Once that works 100% of the time then start adding in features.

The game is produced like they have multiple separate internal departments all working on their own piece of the pie in seclusion of the others, never sharing information. Then when about a month out they meet to stitch it all together only to realize there are problems and now its a race against the clock.

A Project Manger would handle this all correctly.

I always heard that EA was a sweat shop to its Devs and I certainly can see why through every offering of DICE stuff.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:19 pm

I guess I'm the only one that has no real problem with BattleLog... Heck, being able to check every stat out of game has it's advantages, and BF3 switches back and forth without issue.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I guess I'm the only one that has no real problem with BattleLog... Heck, being able to check every stat out of game has it's advantages, and BF3 switches back and forth without issue.
Battlelog has worked flawlessly for me since the alpha and is probably DICE's best serverbrowser/statpage to boot, by far better than any other BF game I've played, or any other EA statspage for that matter. Even Origin is fairly unobtrussive. And the few issues I had, like the name, was resolved by live chat instantenously, well, in less then 15 minutes of waiting in queue. Steam on the other hand, took weeks to even answer a simple question about their purchace system which prevented me from spending my money with them for a while :roll:

What is to blame for most of the idiosy that infected the releases is the EA authorization and login system for the content. Every single time something like Battlefield is released they frack up like they didnt expect there to be a huge influx of people. I thougnt that was what the Beta was for, load testing the back ends so provisioning works as intended.

That said, I work within infrastructure management and there is something you just cant test for, and stuff that gets overloocked, but considering there have been the same thing happening with BC2, The Beta, the release and B2K, something in their organization have to be seriously wrong not to learn by it and start changing things for the better.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:25 pm

This is the best maneuver ever!!!!!!!!!

(skipped to 3:35 and be amazed!)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 pm

tanker27 wrote:
This is the best maneuver ever!!!!!!!!!

(skipped to 3:35 and be amazed!)

This is a better version =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaGhE_sejI

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Got the 360 version for Christmas. It's not nearly as bad as I thought. Not that I wouldn't rather be playing on a good PC. If anything, this is just encouragement to wait until I can afford a REALLY good system rather than spending as little as possible on a good enough one.

My only real gripe is that there are Karkand CQ Inf Only servers but they are never populated. I guess I really am the only BF2 vet playing this game on XBL. :(
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah, I saw the 360 version at a friends place the other day, great work considering the horsepower. But for me, what really does the game is the large maps with 32/48/64 player goodness to it. Which I guess most BF2/2142 vets would agree with. That said, I pretty much like rush when its done correctly, it's a nice change of pace from pure conquest. What I would really like is the assault lines mode from 2142 too.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 am

They nerfed the Stinger and IGLA too much, they're basically useless now, throwing a marsh mallow would be more lethal.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:35 am

AMD Damo wrote:
They nerfed the Stinger and IGLA too much, they're basically useless now, throwing a marsh mallow would be more lethal.

Totally agree.
Was playing Gulf of Oman the other night.
On the other side.
Chopper.
Good pilot.
Good gunner.
Both running flares.
Three of us with Stingers.
On comms
Coordinated attack.
We have tone.
We have "lock"
Fire.
Couldn't knock them out of the sky.
That map really needs mobile AA

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/13293661/1/226791055/
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:06 pm

The solution is to SOFLAM and Javelin. IR Flares do nothing.

veronicaZora
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:33 am

It is fabulous game.I have been playing it for many hours and it's wonderful. The multiplayer is bigger and better than all the previous battlefiled games. Graphics and music are also wonderful.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:21 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
The solution is to SOFLAM and Javelin. IR Flares do nothing.

Exactly, and this requires the chopper pilot to run with ecm jammer which makes stingers more effective again, not to mention the reload. That said, not all gunners are running flares, on some maps the thermal sight are ridiculously effective so I run that most of the time instead. As I pilot I always use guided rockets and stay pretty far away when people are soflaming like on oman and wake.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 pm

So i haven't logged in to BF3 in a few days, but tonight I noticed an update for Origin. Of course I updated and I noticed that if I launch the game from the shortcut on my desktop it launches Origin like normal. If I click on the BF3 icon within Origin it now launches in Internet Explorer instead of Mozilla Firefox like before...I've made sure that I have Firefox as my default web browser, I've gone in to my default programs list and searched for anything IE related and changed them to firefox...BF3 still defaults to IE for some reason. Any ideas on how to fix this? I mean it's no problem to create a shortcut in firefox for the battlelog page, but sometimes I don't want to log in to firefox first. I also checked the settings within Origin but didn't see anything relevant.
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Skullzer wrote:
So i haven't logged in to BF3 in a few days, but tonight I noticed an update for Origin. Of course I updated and I noticed that if I launch the game from the shortcut on my desktop it launches Origin like normal. If I click on the BF3 icon within Origin it now launches in Internet Explorer instead of Mozilla Firefox like before...I've made sure that I have Firefox as my default web browser, I've gone in to my default programs list and searched for anything IE related and changed them to firefox...BF3 still defaults to IE for some reason. Any ideas on how to fix this? I mean it's no problem to create a shortcut in firefox for the battlelog page, but sometimes I don't want to log in to firefox first. I also checked the settings within Origin but didn't see anything relevant.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt ... oblem.html

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:44 pm

IAmGhostDog wrote:
On comms
Coordinated attack.
We have tone.
We have "lock"
Fire.

Wouldn't one flare affect all three simultaneously fired stingers? Fire them off one at a time, the best they could do is draw off the first two, the third one would hit, and by that time the first guy would be almost ready to fire his second shot again and that 4th stinger would disable the chopper for sure.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:18 pm

APWNH wrote:
Wouldn't one flare affect all three simultaneously fired stingers? Fire them off one at a time, the best they could do is draw off the first two, the third one would hit, and by that time the first guy would be almost ready to fire his second shot again and that 4th stinger would disable the chopper for sure.

Yeah better off making them burn their flares, or 1 guy SOFLAM and 2 guys with javelin would bring it down real quick.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:44 pm

There is certainly nothing more satisfying than javelin vs attack chopper, except perhaps a javelin vs a loaded transport chopper, or maybe c4 vs loaded APC, though most people usually jump out of an APC the moment it gets near the action.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:09 pm

APWNH wrote:
IAmGhostDog wrote:
On comms
Coordinated attack.
We have tone.
We have "lock"
Fire.

Wouldn't work. Flares break locks, so any Stinger holding its fire would have to reacquire. By the the time the third Stinger fired, the first to flare would have them rearmed. CITV/SOFLAM is the way to go.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 am

Wouldn't work. Flares break locks, so any Stinger holding its fire would have to reacquire. By the the time the third Stinger fired, the first to flare would have them rearmed. CITV/SOFLAM is the way to go.

I tried it today, I'm pretty sure with flares there isnt much of a delay to reaquire lock on a stinger (keep tapping aim), but then again I need to do it a few more times to be sure. The ECM Jammer definitely prevents lockon for several seconds though. I have been able to hit a chopper pilot with ECM using a stinger though, not sure if it was sloppy execution on his part or not. There is definitely a way to time the missiles to force both the pilot and gunner's countermeasures to get activated in such a way as to leave some amount of window during which the helicopter is defenseless against stingers and other heatseekers.

But anyway, javelin+laser (soflam, citv) is clearly better: Even if ECM is able to somehow prevent a javelin lock-on, I think there is no way for the chopper to know a javelin is aquiring a laser lock at all, and so it cannot be effective.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 15, 2012 4:44 pm

So did everyone stop playing this game or something?

I just got a 7950 (will be swapping it out for a 670 soon also) and this game looks DELICIOUS. It really gets my blood pumping now.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Nope, I still play. It definitely runs better on my new machine vs. my old machine, even though I still am using my 4870 1GB. Granted I'm only playing at 1680x1050, but still. It's a nice improvement to still feel smooth at high settings vs. medium/low it was before though.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

ULYXX
Gerbil

Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm

APWNH wrote:
So did everyone stop playing this game or something?

I got it day one and stopped at exactly 60 hours later. :cry: Felt like i paid to be a beta tester. I heard the updates are better, but still hasn't made me want to comeback. Also, even when it played fine, it only feels like another FPS with the features of Battlefield.

Im sure a lot of you guys disagree, but Ill just wait for the reviews or other friends think about the next installment. (crosses fingers 2143). :D I was one of "those" guys who liked 2142 better than Bf2.