Crysis 2 :(

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

And they always tend to be inferior on multiple levels.

"Always" is one of those Red Flag words we're taught to keep an eye out for, especially in true/false situations. There's a reason for it, because all I'd need to do now is find a single superior example and your statement is obliterated.

Anyway, you miss the point again: Those "inferior" copies have been around forever, whether it's PC's or consoles that are the most popular platform. Ergo, the problem isn't consoles. If you change one variable and the situation doesn't change, then that variable is not the "cause".

It's hard to imagine that you don't think video games have changed at all in the last 15 years.

The specific and superficial qualities of games have changed; the "gaming world" - the developers, the publishers, the gamers - haven't changed too much, other than growing in size, scale, and stakes. But everything that's "wrong" with gaming? It's been there this whole time, ever since somebody first realized that you can make an awful lot of money catering to gamers.

That was supposed to contrast heavily against the point you made about there not being a PC gaming market.

Except I never claimed that there's not a PC gaming market. In fact, I've repeatedly stated the exact opposite, especially with my point that the successful devs are those that make their software target available hardware instead of expecting hardware to target their (cough Crysis cough) software.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Bensam123 wrote:And they always tend to be inferior on multiple levels. Name a memorable doom, quake, or unreal clone... You named three choices that were good enough to copy. Try naming three now. It's hard to imagine that you don't think video games have changed at all in the last 15 years. Putting aside the current level of degradation, how about just changed?




Duke Nukem, The orginal MoH, Goldeneye 007, Marathon, Any Star Wars FPS game, etc.

All of these were better per se. They also brought new and unique gameplay to the table.


Yup and those are all oldies.

""Always" is one of those Red Flag words we're taught to keep an eye out for, especially in true/false situations. There's a reason for it, because all I'd need to do now is find a single superior example and your statement is obliterated.

Anyway, you miss the point again: Those "inferior" copies have been around forever, whether it's PC's or consoles that are the most popular platform. Ergo, the problem isn't consoles. If you change one variable and the situation doesn't change, then that variable is not the "cause".


Always, followed by 'tend'... which is similar to almost always. Just because always is located in the sentence, does not make it a absolute.

This isn't just one variable, it's a zeitgeist... it's a way of thinking. It's not just consoles... consolization involves a lot more then just making the game for consoles. There are multiple symptoms as well as multiple causes. If games have always been inferior so many people wouldn't be complaining about how terrible they are now. That's why everyone just groups all the BS under 'consolization', because even if most people don't understand all the reasons they understand that things are no longer as fun as they were before.

The specific and superficial qualities of games have changed; the "gaming world" - the developers, the publishers, the gamers - haven't changed too much, other than growing in size, scale, and stakes. But everything that's "wrong" with gaming? It's been there this whole time, ever since somebody first realized that you can make an awful lot of money catering to gamers.


Sooo... what happened to Serious Sam for seven years or any game like it? Cutting edge games like Crysis no longer exist, even pushing graphics ahead no longer happens. Rise of Legends, Mechwarrior, Tribes, CounterStrike, and Ravenshield... there aren't even clones like them anymore or anything similar. The variation no longer is even present and all we have is CoD clones, we don't have clones like those.

Except I never claimed that there's not a PC gaming market. In fact, I've repeatedly stated the exact opposite, especially with my point that the successful devs are those that make their software target available hardware instead of expecting hardware to target their (cough Crysis cough) software.

SPOOFE wrote:Sure, they must have grabbed a sale from just about every "big expansive RPG" fan there is. But that sales number, while impressive, was A: accomplished in a time when PC gaming was on top, and B: is still very low compared to blockbuster games on consoles. Oh, and C: NOT a hardware-pusher!


I'm not exactly sure where you're going with that. You either are trying to make it seem like my point isn't valid by taking 'no PC gaming market' out of context (as in literally no one plays games on the PC, instead of me pointing out that you're saying there is definitely a bigger crowd on consoles) or you're contradicting yourself in your own sentence. You're saying PC hardware isn't dominant, but at the same time you're saying there is a big gaming market on the PC or there even was at one time and you're saying the opposite of 'no PC gaming market'.

Curiously what's wrong with pushing the baseline forward? Leading the pack and striving towards something better? Not only does it help develop society, but it garners a lot of attention and praise, which Crytek was known for up till this point. No one of any particular importance has or does things that are normal. It's people who step outside those bounds and stretch forward in one direction or another that get noted. It's the same for companies (Google?), it's the same for products, it's the same for furthering yourself as a human being.

Producing another CoD clone is complete garbage, all of it is. It's a waste of time, resources, the good will of investors that expect them to make something out of it, and for destroying the passion and desire gamers have to continue buying products. That isn't successful at all. Getting 12 million subscribes is successful. Writing a game with 8 bit bricks with three people and selling 1 million units is successful. Just getting by at the bare minimum is stupid, especially when you're talking 10s of millions of dollars of investment and all they can do is copy another game for the Nth time (even more so when they don't add anything to it, ala Homefront).

Are you a plant for Crytek or something?
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 12:19 pm

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

If games have always been inferior so many people wouldn't be complaining about how terrible they are now.

That's just a completely baseless assertion. "Rose colored glasses". "Selective memory". "The grass is greener on the other side of the fence." These aren't just amusing idioms that exist within the lexicon of old phrases to randomly toss about, these are concepts with a lot of psychological basis and study gone into 'em. In other words, people remember what's recent better than what's older. It's been over ten years since PC gaming was on top.

That's why everyone just groups all the BS under 'consolization', because even if most people don't understand all the reasons they understand that things are no longer as fun as they were before.

But they ARE as fun as they were before. People complained then, and they complain now. If they're unhappy with the state of video gaming now, that just means they were also unhappy with it ten or fifteen years ago. They probably bought games back then, too, despite their asserted "unhappiness".

Hint: Maybe some people just like to complain. It's a small fraction, but it doesn't need to be large in order to be loud.

Cutting edge games like Crysis no longer exist

Crysis was only "cutting edge" in terms of graphical fidelity, which, as I've pointed out a few times in this thread, is completely irrelevant to making a fun game.

You're saying PC hardware isn't dominant, but at the same time you're saying there is a big gaming market on the PC

Yes. Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive. I've defined the successful areas of the PC market, and they're those that target hardware that's available (in other words, Intel graphics) rather than those that target hardware they'd LIKE to be available (in other words, Crysis). One of those is obviously going to be more successful than the other.

What's the argument about, here? Pushing graphics forward. People are mad that Crysis 2 looks like crap (and apparently plays like crap, but I haven't touched it so I won't comment). What is my retort? Graphics are irrelevant to making a fun game. I gave examples. You can go look them up.

Curiously what's wrong with pushing the baseline forward?

Curiously, what's wrong with strawman arguments like yours? Well, first off, it's become obvious that you're responding to voices in your own head rather than anything I've ever said. The ultimate problem with your statement is that you implicitly assume that "graphics" are the baseline, and that's just sad.

Not only does it help develop society

Yup, new pixel shaders are really going to cure cancer. I'm sure.

Look, I was going to go on, responding to the various points you raised, but now you're just getting ridiculous. "It helps develop society". No, dude, it doesn't. We're talking about games. Cheap, mindless entertainment. One great way to kill a few hours during one's liesure time. It's on the same level as masturbation. It doesn't "help develop society".
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:10 am

SPOOFE wrote:Yup, new pixel shaders are really going to cure cancer. I'm sure.

Maybe.
Bensam123 wrote:Curiously what's wrong with pushing the baseline forward?

I don't like bloated games that nobody can run with current hardware, and so I agree with the anti-bloat sentiment. However, I don't think the majority of anti-graphics complainers have yet registered in their brain the fact that Crysis 2 is graphically a generation behind the first game, which now runs fine on current hardware. Using dx10 would not be pushing the baseline forward. Not only was the graphics pushed back a generation, the AI seems to have been as well. Crysis2 is a cheap console port, with no QA. Sure it may be somewhat decent, but it doesn't match up to the first one either. Crytek seems to have now caved in to the pressure, and are going to make a dx11 patch, but I don't think that's going to do much, being an afterthought. If you are making a cross platform game, the correct way to do it is from the top down, not bottom up. Crysis 2 is like taking the Metroid DS game and porting it to Wii/xbox/PC as is, nearest neighbor interpolation and all.
l33t-g4m3r
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:54 am

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:07 am

If you guys put half as much effort into finding games you enjoy as you do bitching about games you don't, you'd be happier. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21381
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:39 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:Yup, new pixel shaders are really going to cure cancer. I'm sure.

Maybe.
:D

A perfect example of someone designing their software for the available hardware, isn't it? :wink:

EDIT: As an aside, I suck at formatting responses and won't even try to fix it (I'm lazy, too).
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:18 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:If you guys put half as much effort into finding games you enjoy as you do bitching about games you don't, you'd be happier. :lol:


ditto
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950
adam1378
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: College Cultural District, Flint

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:03 am

“Yes, absolutely. That’s the biggest problem we have today. Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something. I don’t know why. That was the truth 5 years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this.”

Quotes are by Battlefield 3 Executive Producer Patrick Bach
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950
adam1378
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: College Cultural District, Flint

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Sun May 01, 2011 4:31 pm

My introduction to Crysis was through the second game. I've enjoyed the single player experience greatly and have invested more than one playthrough into it. I disagree with many of the comparisons between Crysis 2 and 1.

For one the claims that Crysis 2 is somehow more linear than Crysis 1 makes me believe people don't know what the word means. I do not feel like Crysis 2 lost any of the open choices. I think people labor under an illusion to how much choice you have in Crysis 1. An illusion perhaps fueled by fond memories years old. That big island isn't that open to you: all sorts of gating mechanics limit the where and how. Given the improvements to stealth in Crysis 2 I'd argue it has become more rich with options. I'm screwing around on my fourth playthrough now and I'm still finding new ways to approach the story.

The AI in Crysis 2 is at least the same as Crysis 1 if not a bit better. Sneaking up on KPA soldiers in the first game with stealth was practically futile. Here it's possible to clear entire levels as if you're playing Splinter Cell instead of an FPS shooter. I've ghosted entire levels and I've even killed every living thing without ever firing a bullet. An actual stealth kill option like Crysis 2 has isn't even in the first Crysis, which is disapointing as it's entirely visceral to listen to these guys choke on their own blood.

Many of the above changes were made possible by the fact that the control scheme of the suit and game were refined. Functions of the nanosuit that were once seperate abilities were not only made passive, but consolidated into a single mode. No longer is sprint mode and power mode seperate entities, nor are they functions that must be swapped too: they simply are. The action wheel for suit functions remain for those who like that, but the suit abilties now being bound to keys is a far better outcome. The gameplay experience was further improved by the tweak in power consumption and the purchable upgrades for the abilities: armor mode has more bite and stealth mode is far, far more flexible.

I don't feel the game lost any of it's luster graphically either. It looks just as good as Crysis 1 and arguably perhaps even better. Being something more than a foilage simulator is a good start. It's not a title that's going to generate a new meme of "Can it run Crysis 2" for the next four years, but hell, I never personally saw that as a selling point of Crysis 1. I'm not sure why it fell upon Crytek to be the leader of breaking PC video cards. Nor have I ever understood bringing PCs to their knees as a useful feature for gaming. Nor do I quite understand why it's okay for Blizzard and Valve to cater their PC titles to a broader PC hardware audience, but Crytek gets crucified for doing the same. Enthusiast double standard.

The waxing poetic I've seen in this forum and elsewhere about how good Crysis 1 is lead me to buy Crysis 1 and Warhead recently and give it a go. I don't see myself finishing Crysis 1 and I feel like I wasted my money honestly. The game is barely a competent shooter and it lacks any of the fun or sense of power that the nanosuit in Crysis 2 imbues. With the Stealth function of the Crysis 1 nanosuit being so ineffectual, I can't even play the game the way I'd like to. Leaving me wondering why people tout Crysis 1 as having more options. Seems to me it only has one option, charging in and shooting **** up.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

The action wheel for suit functions remain for those who like that, but the suit abilties now being bound to keys is a far better outcome.


Oh boy you're definitely doing it wrong. Do yourself a favor, and go to the options and enable suit shortcuts.

crouch + crouch = stealth mode
sprint + sprint = speed mode
jump + jump or melee + melee = strength mode
backwards backwards = armor mode

You can also tweak how the suit works (energy consumption, how fast is speed mode, etc) by editing the difficulty files :P.
The Internet wrote:"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"
lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:22 pm

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Sun May 01, 2011 5:19 pm

lethal wrote:Oh boy you're definitely doing it wrong. Do yourself a favor, and go to the options and enable suit shortcuts.

crouch + crouch = stealth mode
sprint + sprint = speed mode
jump + jump or melee + melee = strength mode
backwards backwards = armor mode


That's useful info, but still doesn't address all the shortcomings. I'm also curious why those aren't enabled by default. Hell, half curious how I missed them in the options menu, but I have been known to be bit by snakes.

lethal wrote:You can also tweak how the suit works (energy consumption, how fast is speed mode, etc) by editing the difficulty files :P.


While helpful - I really feel like this just exacerbates my point. So the single player experience is poorly balanced and so I can fix it... by editing the game files. I can partially fix the shortcomings of the suit design by enabling the options I blindly missed, but they're still not as well designed as being able to hit Q for armor mode, E for Stealth mode, and the fact that strength and speed mode are passive and integrated into the functionality of the character. Maybe that too can be fixed by digging into the config files? Meh.

With this in mind though, I may reload Crysis 1. I'll have to see if I can find any good guides for the values of difficulty files. I'd like it to be either similar to the baseline v2 Nanosuit or at best the upgraded Stealth module on the v2 Nanosuit. Still leaves me short of the ablity to act like a KPA chiropractor. I can solve all their back pains by simply twisting their heads 180 degrees. :)
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Sun May 01, 2011 5:33 pm

You can play the game without editing the files, it's just an option for you to tweak if you don't like the default behavior. I did multiple complete playthroughs of Crysis 1 and Warhead without touching those files, but you can toy around with it (which as far as I know isn't possible at all on Crysis 2). A favorite of mine is upping the default speed multiplier, its pretty fun to dart between buildings and flanking enemies while a tank is trying to track you with the main cannon :lol:. Speed mode on Crysis 2 is a joke, the fact that you can't even sprint without consuming energy IMO made the whole game feel sluggish, like you are walking over a quicksand version of NY.
The Internet wrote:"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"
lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:22 pm

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeah, I noticed the speed mode in Crysis 1 was pretty peppy. I figured the difference in speed between Crysis 1 and 2 was a balance concession based upon the size of the maps. Crysis 1 zones are MMO sized, Crysis 2 maps are probably half the size of a Crysis 1 zone.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 am

I dont really remember crysis 1 was as bad as you describe it, niether warhead, but its a different experience from Crysis 2... but I do agree with your conceptions of Crysis 2. It's gotten way to much flak for nothing.

As for crysis 1, I was doing a spring/stealth/shooter dance just about all the game. Basically, run into cover, stealth, silently kill people with silenced weapon. Then Stealth, sprint and do it to the next guy. Oh, and lots of sniping or assault scoping. Also, pouding a building down on somebody or throwing them a fair bit was also effective, not so in Crysis 2. As for the later game, shooting aliens wasnt helped by stealth that much. But stuff that were novel in Crysis 1, wouldnt neccessarily go over well in crysis 2, just because they arent novel anymore, and IMHO, Crysis 2 is the better for it.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3462
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 am

Ryu Connor wrote:I don't feel the game lost any of it's luster graphically either.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nXQnW1a ... feature=iv

It's not EXACTLY graphics, but part of the immersion.
sweatshopking
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 am

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon May 02, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm not sure why it fell upon Crytek to be the leader of breaking PC video cards. Nor have I ever understood bringing PCs to their knees as a useful feature for gaming. Nor do I quite understand why it's okay for Blizzard and Valve to cater their PC titles to a broader PC hardware audience, but Crytek gets crucified for doing the same. Enthusiast double standard.


Ummm, it fell upon Crytek to be the leader of breaking PC video cards because that's how they became prominent. Far Cry was a technological powerhouse when it came out, and Crysis was, too, of course. Crysis 2 is the first thing they've ever made that didn't push the boundaries of graphics tech. They gained a reputation for it, and they can't expect gamers to just forget that, especially since the people who bought their previous games and enjoyed them are the ones who are looking for that kind of technological powerhouse. Of course, as a business, they are welcome to try to go after more of the mass market by bringing the graphics requirements down, but they have to realize that by doing so, they're kind of abandoning the people who made them successful in the first place.

Blizzard and Valve don't have those same expectations because they've never tried to claim their games are any sort of graphical showcases (although in both cases, they manage to make games that look good while also running well on a wide variety of systems).

On a different point, though, I think that in Crytek's case, going for the mass market is going to backfire on them. Sure, the PC market may be smaller than consoles, but within that market, Crytek was the name to beat when it came to high-end graphics. Everyone knew it, and they owned that segment. On the consoles, no one knows who Crytek is or cares about the Crysis brand, and it's a much more crowded market for shooters, as well. Random Xbox gamer doesn't have any reason to care about Crysis 2 other than because he saw it on a commercial on TV. We saw last month from the NPD numbers that Homefront outsold Crysis 2 despite worse review scores pretty much on the strength of a bigger marketing budget. I would be surprised if Crysis 2 on three platforms manages to sell as many copies as Crysis 1 did on just the PC.
Kamisaki
Gerbil
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon May 02, 2011 3:48 pm

adam1378 wrote:“Yes, absolutely. That’s the biggest problem we have today. Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something. I don’t know why. That was the truth 5 years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this.”

Quotes are by Battlefield 3 Executive Producer Patrick Bach


And thank goodness for that. Battlefield 3 looks ready to make the next push forward on graphics that people wanted from Crysis 2 and didn't get.
Kamisaki
Gerbil
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Crysis 2 Showcase - Volume 1

Crysis 2 Showcase - Volume 2

Kamisaki wrote:Ummm, it fell upon Crytek to be the leader of breaking PC video cards because that's how they became prominent.


Now they are forever shackled to our whims. Our whipping boy, our slave! Whose your dadddy, Crytek!? Say it, say it! Don't make me slap you!

Kamisaki wrote:Of course, as a business, they are welcome to try to go after more of the mass market by bringing the graphics requirements down, but they have to realize that by doing so, they're kind of abandoning the people who made them successful in the first place.


You mean abandoning the whiny self-righteous and self-entitled enthusiast market that was just as likely to steal it as buy it?

Kamisaki wrote:I would be surprised if Crysis 2 on three platforms manages to sell as many copies as Crysis 1 did on just the PC.


Yes, yes! Schadenfreude. May our Tech Gods punishing them for dare touching consoles. May they become insolvent and lay off all their employees. We will show them what it means to cross the enthusiast community!

I hope you don't wonder why they "abandoned" the "people who made them successfull." Hell, just saying that is such high handed arrogance. As if the programmers, artists, and other creative staff of Crytek somehow didn't make them successfull. Oh, no, they only survive by our good graces. Now we shall grind them into paste after violating our most sacred commandment. Thou shall not covet a platform other than PC!
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Whoa, there, partner! A little high strung here, I think!

Maybe I should provide a bit of context for my comments. I haven't played either Crysis game (although I do own the first one because of a Steam sale, I'm just waiting until I upgrade my video card to play it). I don't really have any skin in the game here, personally, I don't have any wish for the folks at Crytek to fail, I was just pointing out that changing tactics like they did carries its own risks.

Maybe when you're done jumping to conclusions and ascribing motives to me that are nowhere in my actual posts we can have a reasonable discussion.
Kamisaki
Gerbil
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 am

Let face it Crytek was lazy and looking for the most return with this game. It was at the expense of everyone who bought their games and justified the PC community who enjoyed upgrading to newer hardware.
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950
adam1378
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: College Cultural District, Flint

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 am

Kamisaki wrote:I was just pointing out that changing tactics like they did carries its own risks.


You haven't actually defined any risks in your post. You have shown your feelings in the matter though and then tried to turn the tables after the fact. As if that isn't terribly transparent.

It's especially fun that you ascribe motives to me right after getting idignant for the exact same behavior. Hypocrisy is fun! For the record I'm not high strung, I just deeply enjoy sarcasm as a retort (and yes that makes me a horrible person).

Your posts reeks of self-entitlement and the usual childish crap the PC gaming community rallies around. If you don't like being brushed with that stroke then I suggest you don't espouse such crap as pointing out the "risks."

News flash, some games never come to PC and they make money! There are no risks in ditching the PC market, any belief to the contrary is failing to engage in critical thinking.

adam1378 wrote:Let face it Crytek was lazy and looking for the most return with this game. It was at the expense of everyone who bought their games and justified the PC community who enjoyed upgrading to newer hardware.


<3 PC Gamers.

Seriously, we're as healthy as a doughnut to a diabetes patient.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm

If it gives them a whole lot of more revenue compared to the first games, I guess they made the right choice, because that will make them continue producing games. Hopefully good games with a good story.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3462
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:You haven't actually defined any risks in your post. You have shown your feelings in the matter though and then tried to turn the tables after the fact. As if that isn't terribly transparent.


Did you even read my whole post? Here's what I wrote:

Kamisaki wrote:Sure, the PC market may be smaller than consoles, but within that market, Crytek was the name to beat when it came to high-end graphics. Everyone knew it, and they owned that segment. On the consoles, no one knows who Crytek is or cares about the Crysis brand, and it's a much more crowded market for shooters, as well. Random Xbox gamer doesn't have any reason to care about Crysis 2 other than because he saw it on a commercial on TV. We saw last month from the NPD numbers that Homefront outsold Crysis 2 despite worse review scores pretty much on the strength of a bigger marketing budget.


It's all there. The risk is entering a new market that you don't have any brand recognition in and is already saturated. How is this so hard to understand?

Ryu Connor wrote:News flash, some games never come to PC and they make money! There are no risks in ditching the PC market, any belief to the contrary is failing to engage in critical thinking.


Okay, now you're just trolling me. No risks in ditching the entire PC market? You can't be for real. I expect this kind of posting from random internet flame-warriors, but coming from a forum moderator it is a bit surprising.
Kamisaki
Gerbil
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Aphasia wrote:If it gives them a whole lot of more revenue compared to the first games, I guess they made the right choice, because that will make them continue producing games. Hopefully good games with a good story.


This I agree with, but I have my doubts that it actually will give them more revenue.
Kamisaki
Gerbil
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Kamisaki wrote:It's all there. The risk is entering a new market that you don't have any brand recognition in and is already saturated. How is this so hard to understand?


I understand fine that's not where the issue is. Until you begin to critically think about the gaming market you will continue to not understand.

Need I point out the myriad of titles that were first run releses that were successfull?

Halo? Gears of War? Bioshock? Uncharted? Alan Wake? God of War? Dante's Inferno? Dead Space?

You don't need brand recognition to break into the video game market. My god, just look at Minecraft as an example of that.

Kamisaki wrote:Okay, now you're just trolling me. No risks in ditching the entire PC market? You can't be for real. I expect this kind of posting from random internet flame-warriors, but coming from a forum moderator it is a bit surprising.


Funny. You're arguing from a weak and inaccurate position and somehow I'm trolling you. Nay, sir. You are trolling yourself.

Again, Halo, Gears of War no longer exist on PC and make mad money. Alan Wake was slated to be on PC and dropped that support and.... wait for it... made money.

The PC market is not necessary to make money. I have an entire market worth of examples. You have.... well nothing.

Aphasia wrote:If it gives them a whole lot of more revenue compared to the first games, I guess they made the right choice, because that will make them continue producing games. Hopefully good games with a good story.


This post should have been the /thread.

Instead I have to get more insulin.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 2:41 pm

The truth is neither here nor there, or actually, it's in both places.

The fact remains that there is a lot of money to be made from the PC market, and what annoys PC gamers the most is the fact that far more often than not, publishers have been shooting themselves in the foot on various angles.

Note that the former sentence is not the same as saying that a developer somehow has to rely on this market alone to survive, let alone make money. For now, money can be made on either side, or both.
Last edited by morphine on Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10019
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Aphasia wrote:If it gives them a whole lot of more revenue compared to the first games, I guess they made the right choice, because that will make them continue producing games. Hopefully good games with a good story.

Unfortunately the sales numbers don't show it. Unlike the COD franchise, which appears to be what Crytek are now trying to emulate, the sales for Crysis 2 have fallen off rather dramatically just one month after release.

PC: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35003/crysis-2/

Xbox 360: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35001/crysis-2/
NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Aphasia wrote:If it gives them a whole lot of more revenue compared to the first games, I guess they made the right choice, because that will make them continue producing games. Hopefully good games with a good story.


Did they do that before Crysis 2? I must have missed it.

Richie_G wrote:Look at Bioware though: great catalogue of games and one of the best fan bases I know. Yet, in my opinion, the same thing is happening to their games. And same publisher oddly enough.


Really? With the exception of the environments, Dragon Age 2 is better than the first in nearly every way. Mass Effect 2 is also better than the first in nearly every way. We can go back further if you like...

I have purchased 3 copies of Baldur's Gate(still own 2) and 2 copies of Baldur's Gate 2. Those are 2 of my 3 favorite PC games of all time. I'll be playing the BG series until I'm physically incapable or it becomes wholly incompatible with modern hardware/software. I know I can't say the same for the DA series, but I realize it's all nostalgia. Dragon Age is better than Baldur's Gate in every single imaginable way, but dang did I have some fun times on the Sword Coast when I was 14.

Let go of your nostalgia, take of the glasses, quit pining for the days of yore. Play some of those old favorites through your adult eyes and you might see they weren't so perfect.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = Pontifex / PSN = Pontifex
David
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 8:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 pm

David wrote:Mass Effect 2 is also better than the first in nearly every way.

... in every way except the actual [i]game[i]. We'll have to disagree on that one, "game of the year" be damned.

It's got better graphics, better sound, better animation, and the missions are even more linear. You don't even get a choice of terrain or approach, all you get are the stupid Gears of War waist-high-walls, an indicator telling you where the objectives are, and that's it. There's no exploration and barely any goodies because the map is gone, inventory management and outfitting is gone, money management is gone in favor of plain-jane "oh, you've unlocked this!". Heat mechanic is gone, replaced with standard ammo, which is really the only way of balancing out a fight because the baddies are so laughably bad that I'd just snipe everyone if I had the bullets. Many missions are nothing but a corridor with enemies and that's it, or go-here-grab-object. And people complained about the mining stuff on the first one...

So yes, Mass Effect 2 is a much better movie than the first. Only it's a much worse, dumbed-down, repetitive game.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10019
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Postposted on Tue May 03, 2011 4:51 pm

The only issue I have with ME 2 is the inventory system. Or lack there of. The first one was just too much. I love RPGs and I don't want to stop every 3 minutes to dig through the 35 gun barrels/sights/triggers/bottle openers that I just found.

The fighting doesn't seem any more linear or easy. I'm playing through the first again now(with second to follow) and I'm not feeling most of your complaints. The Citadel is certainly smaller...thank God.

Speaking of linear game play. Since when did linear become the worst design choice a developer could make? I like an open world as much as the next gamer, but I'll take great story and mechanics over having to trudge 300 miles in real time to get to the other side of an area. Just because we have the technology to make everything a sandbox now or allow 10 different approaches to a specific objective doesn't mean we have to do it.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = Pontifex / PSN = Pontifex
David
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 8:44 pm
Location: Georgia

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests