Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: PS3 Network down

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:25 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Our long national nightmare is over. The store is back, for now. Also, as expected it's slow as ****

Fixed
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:48 am

Wow, so original. So funny. :roll:

edit: the HDD in my PS3 died during the outage. I got a 250GB drive and replaced it from Newegg. So I'm now in the process of downloading everything all over again. It's a pain, but I'm glad I can finally do it.

edit 2: I just timed it. I downloaded a 160MB game in 3:15. That works out to 840k/sec. So the download speed is pretty decent. It's navigating that's fraught with the occasional errors. Also, the Welcome Back stuff is not live yet.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:11 am

Meh, you just need more coffee. :wink:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:27 am

OK Sony, make with the free shizz.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 am

Vrock wrote:
OK Sony, make with the free shizz.

++

They did say that it will happen after the store returned. And yes, it's after the store returned, but I'm kind of hoping they'll let the initial round of glee and server hammering wind down a bit before they do it. And I'm equally hoping that I happen to wake up an hour before the alarm was set to go off again like I did this morning so I could beat (most of) the rush to get said free shizz.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Is the LittleBigPlanet offering 1 or 2?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:42 pm

The first. The downloads are all fairly old.

Also, I wonder if they're doing the downloads on a per-device or per-account basis? I have a European account that I created to get early access to the Valkyria Chronicles demo way back when. Do I get two Euro games? If so, there's a Ratchet and Clank game (I forget which one) that the Old World gets access to as a freebie that the New World does not.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

The Store is (obviously) getting hammered because it took me a while to get in. Once there, I went to the Welcome Back section of the Store, went to grab "PS3 Game #1" and it sat there for a while and my controller wouldn't respond except for holding the PS button. I thought the console had froze, so I shut it down. After getting back to the Store, "PS3 Game #1" is no longer listed. I tried to grab "PS3 Game #2", and it sat there again as if nothing was happening. Instead of rebooting the console, I let it sit there a while longer and was finally given the Error code that we've all become accustomed to the past month or so. Going back to the "Welcome Back" section "PS3 Game #1" and "PS3 Game #2" are both missing. I hope that they have this fixed without me having to contact Customer Support.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:39 pm

According to the comment responses (from Sony reps) on the link (the last part in bold is what's important here):

+ Kristi Fernandez on June 3rd, 2011 at 10:07 am said:
Hi Naustradamus- Here’s the step to download your free games:
Select ‘Welcome Back Free PS3 Game 1′ and click on ‘Get Now’
Press circle to go back and select your first free game
Return to the Welcome Back page and select ‘Welcome Back Free PS3 Game 2′ and click on ‘Get Now’
Press circle to go back and select your second free game
Go to the XMB(tm) to play your free games
Make sure to complete the download of each title all the way otherwise you’ll have to go into account management>transaction management>services list>SCEA Promotions to download the games.
Hope that helps.
– Kristi

edit: I had to do this for PS3 game 1, and I can confirm it works.

Also: Heh, since I had a European account (for early demo access, as I mentioned earlier) I can confirm that this account also gets the freebies. Downloading Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty - which is only being offered to Europe - and Wipeout HD from the Euro store now. Only FOUR HUNDRED MINUTES to completion. Holy cats.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 pm

And........I can't log into PSN.

=Edit=
I was able to log in again, as well as start the downloading of a few Playstation Plus items.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.