Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Good, cheap games?

Tue May 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Most of us have too little money for all our wants; at least I hope most of us do cause otherwise I'll feel dysfunctional. And with many big name games being 50-60 bucks, they're not exactly cheap anymore (although they can still be a good value).

So what are ya'll favorite, less expensive games? I'd define less expensive as 30 or less.

So far I'm enjoying the hell out of Section 8: Prejudice (for 15 bucks), and Amnesia looks neat (also 15)...what are your favorite less expensive games that are a good value and don't break the bank?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Good, cheap games?

Tue May 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Minecraft = Tons of replay value, plus my son loves playing it with me. I mine, gather materials, build stuff, and then he blows it up.

Good times. :)

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 17, 2011 4:09 pm

I enjoy playing Age of Mythology Gold now and again. Amazon's got it for $14 right now.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Only thing is to catch the Steam sales... picked up Mass Effect 2 in the EA weeks last week, etc. Crazy good value if you catch those 75% off.

At the Steam christmas sale last year I actually got a few collections of old games I wanted to replay. Monkey Island, Loom, The Dig, Indiana Jones Collection, Space Quest Collection, Kings Quest Collection, Darwinia, Eufloria, Osmos, Samorost 2, World of Goo, Machinarium, Missadventures of MR Winterbottom, Defense Grid, Trine, Shadowgrounds. Can you tell I love puzzles and adventure games :P Also, great platformers, with a new take on it like winterbottom. But among all those adventure games above, thats a HUGE load of hours right there. Especially since i never played every single game the first time around. But Space Quest definitely needs a new playthrough.

Also, I just love games with great art. Machinarium, Eufloria, Trine...

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Mount & Blade / M&B Warband. Picked each up for $15 or less. Don't have much to say about warband's multiplayer (I'll leave others to comment on that) but the Single Player alone was worth 30 bucks each at least.

Yeah, yeah, it's rough edged, could use several coats of polish, and has a lot of thin points (dialog / character interaction), but it is SO.MUCH.DAMN.FUN.GETTING.ON.A.HORSE.AND.SKEWERING.SOMEONE.AT.FULL.GALLOP

:D

This has got to be the most kinetic, slam-it-in-your-face melee combat I've experienced. The feeling when you let loose three rockets and take out two competitors at once, while you're less than 50% health? that's the way you feel when your horse is charging down hill, your lance is couched, and you know the hapless target of your charge has no chance to get out of the way.

Oh, and building up an army. a well trained army, lining them up in formation, riding back and forth infront of them doing the mock-braveheart thing, and then giving the ALL->CHARGE! command is just great :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 17, 2011 5:13 pm

With regards to newfangled artsy plattformers... 8)
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... erview.ars