How hard is FFIV (DS version)?

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

How hard is FFIV (DS version)?

Postposted on Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

I know this is mostly a PC oriented site, but I figure some of you have DSes and may have played this game, so I'll ask: How hard, truly, is Final Fantasy IV for the DS? I picked this up on Amazon but have yet to open it and could still return it. I've read some more reviews since buying, and I'm rather concerned at quotes like "crazy-hard", "extremely challenging", "upping the challenge for those already familiar with the game".

Now, I haven't played any previous releases of this game, nor am I a die-hard JRPG fan. I've played the Golden Sun series and found it a bit easy, and found Final Fantasy VI to be just about right. So those of you in the know - do you think I'd have a good time with this game? I don't mind a bit of a challenge but if it's going to be endless grinding and trial-and-error hell to get through the (evidently quite good) story I might have to take a pass.

Thanks for the help, and obviously, no spoilers.
Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: How hard is FFIV (DS version)?

Postposted on Thu May 26, 2011 6:08 am

Hey I've got that one. Yes, it is rather hard at times, but the challenge is fair and worth it in the end. Some bosses will require a few tries, but who didn't have to try some bosses again when they played a game such as this the first time? Toward the end it also gets rather difficult in which you start running into monsters with similar difficulty as earlier bosses. With the right strategy of course, they will fall.

I'd say it's definitely a keeper. And talking about it makes me want to slap it in and give it another playthrough. :D
Mr.Lif
Gerbil

Re: How hard is FFIV (DS version)?

Postposted on Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 am

Here's the deal: if you played Final Fantasy II on SNES, you played the dumbed-down easy-mode version of FF IV. Final Fantasy IV on the DS isn't any harder than Final Fantasy IV that comes as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles for PSOne, the PSP port, or the "real" Final Fantasy IV on Super Famicom in Japan. It's not really any harder than Final Fantasy V, though I find it harder than Final Fantasy VI because I'm so intimately familiar with that one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the challenge. There's a little bit of grinding to be done but it's not like this is Disgaea.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Gaming