Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Another great Steam sale

Sun May 29, 2011 11:40 pm

All Tom Clancy games 66% off today only.

Never played any of these, are they good?
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Another great Steam sale

Mon May 30, 2011 1:31 am

I'd definitely pick up the Splinter Cell games. Double Agent is the weakest of the lot, but it's still not too bad.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 am

The original Splinter Cell was one of my favorite games of all time. But that was primarily because it was so much different from the other shooters out there. The Rainbow Six games didn't do as much for me.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon May 30, 2011 7:43 am

I got HAWX/HAWX2 and it's expansion; just looking for a game like that. We'll see how it goes!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 30, 2011 8:30 am

HAWX games are fun. Not combat flight sims at all, more like the Ace Combat sort of affair. They're definitely fun though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Splinter Cell: Choas Theory was the best Tom Clancy game in my opinion. I've played all but the original from the Splinter Cell series.

Chaos Theory had better gameplay and a more interesting story than the other games in the series.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:31 pm

For those that care, there is a Call of Duty: Black Ops free weekend, as well as the game being marked down to $40.19. I figured I would give the free weekend a shot to see if the game is worth the discounted price. I wasn't much impressed with MW2, so it's going to take a lot to win me back.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:49 pm

edit: wrong thread.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I remember playing the original Splinter Cell on the original Xbox at a friend's place. It was probably a strong factor in my decision to go out and buy an Xbox, my first console since my parents got me a Super Nintendo for Christmas as a kid. Unfortunately, I did not find the sequels so innovative.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Dizik wrote:
For those that care, there is a Call of Duty: Black Ops free weekend, as well as the game being marked down to $40.19. I figured I would give the free weekend a shot to see if the game is worth the discounted price. I wasn't much impressed with MW2, so it's going to take a lot to win me back.
Blops had some things that were better, but for me, the maps didnt stand up as well as the MW2 ones. Not to mention some other problems. I was up to 3rd prestige or something in MW2... in blops I made it to level 40 then just went back to Battlefield BC2 again since everyone just made speed perks together with submachine guns their lives work. So unless they've done som balancing... meh. But thats just my opinion. The single player was alright, its a like any decent action movie. Good for a few hours of interactive shooting.

The sad thing is, even though MW3 is probably just as bad at many of the points, I will probably get it anyway because of boredom, unless BF3 or ME3 takes up my time when it launches.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:21 pm

cynan wrote:
I remember playing the original Splinter Cell on the original Xbox at a friend's place. It was probably a strong factor in my decision to go out and buy an Xbox, my first console since my parents got me a Super Nintendo for Christmas as a kid. Unfortunately, I did not find the sequels so innovative.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is a great chapter in the series.

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
cynan wrote:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is a great chapter in the series.

+1. I loved Chaos Theory - best Splinter Cell game IMO. Unfortunately, it went downhill after that.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Steam Summer sale 30 JUN - 11 JUL!

Dont miss out!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Dizik wrote:

Black Ops is okay. There are some things that MW2 had right and some that Black Ops had right. It's really a preference between two considerably easy to play games. Plenty of fun if you're into it, but there's really no skill involved whatsoever. The only thing that I find truly challenging is putting a silencer on a L96A1. That way you only get one shot, it takes a few seconds to steady it enough, and it pretty much HAS to be a headshot. Otherwise you'll just lose your target. Tomahawks are one of my favorite additions to a game. SO much better than throwing knives. The wager matches are pretty fun as well.

Anyway, I will probably pick up Vegas 2 if that's included. I miss that game terribly. I might also check out the original Splinter Cell, since I've never really played it. I would get HAWX but I don't have a joystick and I've never enjoyed flying games without one. Way to go, Steam, for bringing some remarkably good games to remarkably low prices :D
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Just a heads up on the Splinter cell series (Splinter Cell, Pandora and Chaos Theory).

Wanting to recently play Chaos Theory again, I threw my dvd in and installed it on my Win7 64 bit machine. Yeah, that game wasn't gonna launch no matter what (run in administrator mode, run in comptability mode). Well, that was a bummer, so when Steam had it on sale for $6, I bought Chaos Theory (again), thinking Ubisoft was gonna update the Steam version.

Nope. The Ubisoft splash screen comes up, but it stutters/freezes/crashes/hard locks at that screen. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears, but I haven't been able to get either my dvd or Steam version of Chaos Theory to work on Win 7 64 bit.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Just a heads up on the Splinter cell series (Splinter Cell, Pandora and Chaos Theory).

Wanting to recently play Chaos Theory again, I threw my dvd in and installed it on my Win7 64 bit machine. Yeah, that game wasn't gonna launch no matter what (run in administrator mode, run in comptability mode). Well, that was a bummer, so when Steam had it on sale for $6, I bought Chaos Theory (again), thinking Ubisoft was gonna update the Steam version.

Nope. The Ubisoft splash screen comes up, but it stutters/freezes/crashes/hard locks at that screen. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears, but I haven't been able to get either my dvd or Steam version of Chaos Theory to work on Win 7 64 bit.

saw this, don't know if it'll solve it:

Install the game
Apply: "SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05NoDVDFixedexeEuroAus"
Apply: "SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05OSFixNoDVDFixedexeEuroAus"
Apply: "scct_1.00_to_1.05_america" Patch
Play

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:10 pm

It's StarForce that's f***ing things up, as usual. Your best bet is to buy the Encore version from Newegg or another retailer since that version is StarForce free and fully patched. I just played it on Win7 64-bit and it ran like clockwork.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 pm

you know, Steam is 100% responsible for my hard drive getting full.
Nothing really floating my boat so far but we'll see what goes on sale later.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:13 am

Steam summer sale going on right now.

I picked up a few games tonight including both the bit.trip games for 2.50 each. Go steam go.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 am

sweatshopking wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:

saw this, don't know if it'll solve it:

Install the game
Apply: "SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05NoDVDFixedexeEuroAus"
Apply: "SplinterCell3ChaosTheoryv1.05OSFixNoDVDFixedexeEuroAus"
Apply: "scct_1.00_to_1.05_america" Patch
Play

Really. I'm going to check that out, tomorrow though. I'll update this post if that worked or not.

bdwilcox. Now that's cool. Didn't know that existed. I really don't feel like buying the same game...for the third time though.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 am

The Steam version lacks Starforce as well.

I'm wondering if the retail install somehow left something behind to damage the Steam install.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:06 am

I actuallyt jumped this steam sale, have enough games left from last summer and the christmas before that. On the other hand, I installed Team Fortress 2 that's now gone free. Never played it before, so I thought to give it a whirl.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Arg. That clever trick of patching didn't seem to work. Going to re-try my Steam game. If that doesn't work I'm going to open up a support ticket...

But in other news, how often does this happen?

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Ye ... 859&sr=8-3

The retail copy is cheaper than the Steam copy!
Last edited by Sargent Duck on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Arg. That clever trick of patching didn't seem to work. Going to re-try my Steam game. If that doesn't work I'm going to open up a support ticket...

But in clever news, how often does this happen?

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Ye ... 859&sr=8-3

The retail copy is cheaper than the Steam copy!

It happens pretty often, especially for newer releases and those buying from Europe. Usually better deals to be had from D2D, Gamersgate, et al over Steam on newer releases as well.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:07 pm

DancinJack wrote:

I picked up a few games tonight including both the bit.trip games for 2.50 each. Go steam go.

I'm having a terribly hard time figuring out just what's on sale. Is there a place where I can find a list as opposed to the stupid shenanigans with camp?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:27 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

I'm having a terribly hard time figuring out just what's on sale. Is there a place where I can find a list as opposed to the stupid shenanigans with camp?

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... w_yeaaaah/
The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Torchlight for $3. This is as close to Diablo as you'll get.

Defense Grid: The Awakening for $2½. This is a well-polished tower defense game.

Dragon Age Pack for $45. This includes Dragon Age II ($36 separately) and Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition ($10.20 separately). The latter is a terrific value as it includes Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening and all nine downloadable content packs.

Tropico 3 Gold Edition for $5. Rule your own banana republic. Includes Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition ($3.74) and Tropico 3: Absolute Power ($2.49).

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Since it was on sale today, I picked up the Frozen Synapse two pack. Looking for someone to buy the other copy from me. $6.25 via Paypal; send me a PM.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Just got Defense Grid. My, this game is fun! Graphics are nice, but it's the strategy that has me hooked. I'd actually have payed full price if I knew it was this good.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Mass Effect 2 is now on sale for $6.80 for today's offerings. Grab it now!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!