Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Eurogamer pans Duke Nukem Forever

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:59 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ver-review

Rated it a 3 out of 10.

I will reserve judgment on this until I play the game myself, but 3/10? Can it really be that bad?

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Eurogamer pans Duke Nukem Forever

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Vrock wrote:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-12-duke-nukem-forever-review

Rated it a 3 out of 10.

I will reserve judgment on this until I play the game myself, but 3/10? Can it really be that bad?

review wrote wrote:
[Please note that we reviewed the game on Xbox 360, but Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter informs us that the PC version plays much better. "It's a complete mess on 360 - sub-HD resolutions, hugely obtrusive screen-tear, terrible aliasing, low frame rate," he says. "All of these things can be remedied by playing the game on PC. It doesn't transform it into a good game, but it makes it much easier on the eye and certainly smoother, far more responsive and thus more enjoyable to play." Look out for Rich's full Duke Nukem Forever Face-Off very soon. -Ed.]

every review I've seen from Europe has been on the XBox 360... and most of the complaints have been how often they die and the terribly long load times + other problems.
I'm sure the game would still not rate good but having a game that plays like a turd wont help.

just watching the trailers and gameplay vids makes me assume it's not a great game. bargain bin material.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 pm

he's just mad.
it doesnt bring anything new to the table and is not a blockbuster title
anyone who thinks this game should revolutionize gameplay because it took so long to come out is an idiot
the guys is making comparisons to GTA and battlefield? :x
this game was barely scraped together in the last year or so and was almost scrapped.
if you are a fan, you should get about 10 hours of playtime out of it
if you like halo, well you should probably keep playing halo if you were looking for a replacement for that

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:27 pm

DNF that original Duke3d fans had expected died back in 2004.

The current game plays like a TC mod of Borderlands. IHMO, it is not worth $49-59 unless you are a die-hard DN fan. You should probably wait until it goes on sale. FYI, I only played the demo.

I give it a 5/10.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:30 pm

A German site also reviewed DNF. They didn't seem to like it that much either.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

dolemitecomputers

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
A German site also reviewed DNF. They didn't seem to like it that much either.

Should have put David Hasselhoff in it.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:34 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:
Should have put David Hasselhoff and chocolate in it.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I had tried the demo on the PC, so here's my several cents:

* Load-time complaints are entirely warranted. This is atrocious. In fact, I had an incident where the demo botched itself, and loading wouldn't work at all temporarily, unless I started the executable again in XP compatibility mode. (I'm not sure where the problem came from, it went away on its own.)

* Mouse control on the PC is bad. Not just bad, outstandingly bad, as in "I rarely see this bad a control" bad. There are two sliders you can use, sensitivity and "precision" or whatnot, I have no idea what either slider does (except assume that sensitivity is the multiplier as always). There's no in-game hint or documentation. The mouse sensitivity seems to have some sort of limit (Why? In this day and age?), as in when I move the mouse very fast, it doesn't seem to follow me as rapidly anymore, and the precision setting results in hard-to-explain weirdness. The whole thing feels floaty, like forcing gamepad controls on a PC mouse.

* I did not feel I died often, and I didn't feel the game was hard in any way. I do, however, despise the weapon system, because it's mimicking every other CoD/Battlefield game in that you can only hold a painfully limited number of weapons. Why that was necessary is completely beyond me, as "realistic warfare" players were never the target audience at any point in the past 14 years, so I'm not sure what this achieves and whether direct feature parity was Broussard's or Gearbox's idea.

* I will ignore the bad graphics and the 2006-era scenery and map modeling, for the time being at least, because I don't judge games by their looks, unless they explicitly market themselves with the looks.
* The environments are not interactive enough, however. The demo has a ruined shack out in the canyons, with a door that's just barely open, and I spent a good few seconds trying to kick it open, shoot it open, or use any number of action keys, to no avail. It's nailed, bolted and riveted there and made of solid titanium, never to be opened by anyone ever. I had to run around the demolished building just to progress, which is in poor taste on the designers' part.

* Sound is fair, but one thing left a long and deep scar in my ears, and literally so. Using night vision with the Duke shades loops a shearing, sharp, brain-shattering high-pitched screech noise, which I assume was designed for 50 year olds in mind as a status signal, but when *I* played, it literally hurt every time I tried using night vision. That electronic squeal needs to go.

* Special effects, physics and details are reasonable, and I didn't feel I could easily lose my suspension of disbelief, except for one thing - ironically - right at the start of the demo. When mirror images sucked back in 1996, everyone ignored it and cheered there existed mirror images at all. What we have here today, however, is lack of basic animation: stand in front of a mirror, and jump. What do you see? (Let's recap the past. In Duke Nukem 3D (1996), you saw yourself holding your one-and-only weapon sprite hard-coded onto you, and your legs move as you jumped. In Postal 2 (2003), you saw a 3D model but a fake reflection - there was no leg animation at all, you just floated up and fell down, and the attack animations didn't match your first-person view either. Later that year, in a feat of "how to do it right", Max Payne 2 is released. With it came pixel-perfect reflections, albeit at a low resolution, if you owned a pixel shader 2.0 capable card. If you do something in character, you see exactly that in the mirror.)
Here we have Duke Nukem Forever (2011) stepping back to before 2003 with its mirror reflections - you get leg animation, but nothing else. It's like Duke's hands are chained to his belt, they remain motionless by the hips, as if standing still. Not even a twitch, just leg animation. I'm reasonably certain the reflection is pixel-perfect, but the model and associated animation(s) are lacking, to say the least, so it's not a special effect design problem. That doesn't make the error any less hideous, however.

* For someone who can purportedly bench-press over 600 pounds (according to the loading screen tips), Duke has extremely wimpy arms even with the most basic, girly pistol weapon. The kickback is so ridiculously high I can't make three shots in succession without throwing my aim off over to the neighbouring state, and the weapon itself isn't a champion of damage-dealership either, which makes the whole gun pretty much useless unless you're up close and personal. Which, incidentally, is where you need the shotgun, so you literally have no use for the pistol (remember, you can only hold 2 weapons plus gadgets). At least in the good old days, you could aim straight with it, even if it was just as weak.

And you have to assign a number to it, apparently. Well, it feels unjust to give it something like 3 out of 10, because 5-6 is more like it in my opinion, but at this point I can't bring myself to give it more than 7 even considering my most fond nostalgic memories. That's certainly not a good thing for a game that lost companies millions of dollars during production, and I honestly can't tell what (or if it) is Gearbox's fault, or rather 3D Realms's. What I listed are little things, but there's too many of them, and they add up quick.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Because, this "DNF" was marketed towards the current batch of young gamers (18-25), they probably never heard of DN. It is no surprise that DNF turn out to be another cookie-cutter, modern FPS.

The original DN3D fans don't care anymore. They got other things to worth about, and the shock/toilet humor doesn't have the same punch.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Yeah well I played the demo too and thought it was ok. It has the Duke3D gameplay essentially but modern graphics. If one truly liked Duke3D then this will be familiar for sure. I'm not sure that I think it's great but it might be a fun play...

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm willing to bet the developers don't care about game play. They know there's 7 billion people who have been waiting for 14 years for this game to come out & are going to pay to see if it's been worth the wait.
I'm assuming it's going to be a 7/10 at best, but that's just my opinion. I'm hoping I'm wrong though. :)
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:52 pm

swaaye wrote:
Yeah well I played the demo too and thought it was ok. It has the Duke3D gameplay essentially but modern graphics.
That's what I was hoping for.[/quote]

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Playing it, and its a decent shooter and it has Duke. I'm reasonably happy so far.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 pm

ARS gave it a bad review too.
barely playable, not funny, rampantly offensive

Even before these reviews, I've been disappointed just from reading up on the preview news. 2 weapons, corridor shooter, animations and graphics look stupid, plenty of other stuff too. This isn't a proper duke sequel, but more of a Diakatana sequel. I think Serious Sam is the only game that has filled the gap left from Doom2 and Duke3d. Painkiller doesn't count from lack of COOP.

rhysl
Gerbil

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Should not have been released I think .. I doubt I will ever play this game , I will leave the happy 1996 memorys in my brain never to be washed away by this supposedly crap game..

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:05 am

I only wonder a single thing. If the normal reviews are this bad... how will Zero Punctuation sound... is there anything obnoxious left to say...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:14 am

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
ARS gave it a bad review too.

No surprise there, Ben Kuchera perpetually has his panties in a wad.

Still, I'm not buying this game. If you bought it and enjoyed it, I'm glad - then it's definitely the game for you.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 am

Yeah, I'll definitely play it but not at $60 - once it hits $20 (or lower). I understand it has many flaws but I'll accept a mediocre-at-best game after 14 years and play it for the nostalgia until Gearbox does a proper game. For now, I have plenty of other quality games to play until this drops in price (and from the sounds of it, it will plummet).
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM

cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 am

I didn't expect anyone to like this game. It isn't a bad game. Trouble is, after all the promises that fell through and 14 years of buildup, people's expectations for this game were so high that it could not have possibly done well. The other thing that people fail to realize, including Gearbox, is that Duke Nukem 3D wasn't really an exceptional game, either. What made it unique at the time was its over-the-top use of violence and language. That's been done a million times over since then, most notably by the GTA series. So, the only thing that set that Duke apart is not something that will set this Duke apart. It is just a middle of the road FP shooter, and that's all it ever has been.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 am

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... eviews.ars

And now the PR firm for DNF is publicly threatening access to future games for poor reviews of DNF.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 am

I'll buy it mostly for the nostalgia when it hits $15 or so.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 am

I'm dissapointed, but not surprised at all.

Damn shame, I spent *many* hours playing 3D against my best friend, via direct modem connection lol, wow, I feel old!
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 am

I know Ben can be a bit of a prude, but his review did raise non-prude related points that are kind of worrying, and essentially mean I'm not paying 50 bucks for the game. I'll wait for 19.99 or less.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 am

(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 am

tanker27 wrote:

Captain Ned beat you by like two hours and actually explained the link.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:46 am

DOH! LOL its my lunch break, I was catching up. ;)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 am

If I ignore my own personal excitement for the game I'm sitting at about a 6/10 for the game. Controls aren't great. Load times are fine, graphics are meh, but not a deal breaker. I HATE the weapon limit. What a horrible idea.
The humor is still pretty good, and there is a lot of combat. It was a bit slow to start, but it gets going. I don't like that it's just arena style play. It does have the whole: walk to an area, fight. Move on to next area. Thing going on. It does have a lot of variance in game play, which is kinda nice. Difficulty is kinda high, which I like, but others might not. I haven't played on the low setting yet though, so maybe it's better there...

My initial thoughts at least.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm

cjcerny wrote:
I didn't expect anyone to like this game. It isn't a bad game. Trouble is, after all the promises that fell through and 14 years of buildup, people's expectations for this game were so high that it could not have possibly done well. The other thing that people fail to realize, including Gearbox, is that Duke Nukem 3D wasn't really an exceptional game, either. What made it unique at the time was its over-the-top use of violence and language. That's been done a million times over since then, most notably by the GTA series. So, the only thing that set that Duke apart is not something that will set this Duke apart. It is just a middle of the road FP shooter, and that's all it ever has been.

I agree with you.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:38 pm

The demo illustrated to me that the game was a bit of a throwback. As if they took Duke3D from the 90s and simply put it in a new engine, the game didn't evolve and by some peoples standards it suffered de-evolution (only two guns, regenerating health for instance). Frankly this was all I expected from the game. I was pleased enough with the demo to make the leap to the full game.

I hope to dig into the full copy of the game tonight. I'll actually be pleased if it is as offensive as Ben makes it sound.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 pm

The frequency of "the PC version is better" meme in light of the reviewers given access to the 360 version suggests herd mentality is in play.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.