Eurogamer pans Duke Nukem Forever

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: Eurogamer pans Duke Nukem Forever

Postposted on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Anyone here actually play on the xbox? How long are the load times? on the PC it's usually 5-10 seconds for me...
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:I hope to dig into the full copy of the game tonight. I'll actually be pleased if it is as offensive as Ben makes it sound.

Agreed. I don't know what this guy was expecting to be honest. Sunshine and rainbows? Duke Nukem 3D had its moments back then and if it had the graphical capabilities it has now, we would've been smearing virtual poo on people and walls back then too. That was the whole point at least in my view, it was beyond ridiculous and it still is.
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM
WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Contingency wrote:The frequency of "the PC version is better" meme in light of the reviewers given access to the 360 version suggests herd mentality is in play.

But I've tried it myself (now with the full game, too) - the PC version could really use sharper textures here and there, but it's thankfully "could be better" on the quality scale, and not "Crysis-2-bad". Also, loading times? I don't know what the full game had compared to the demo, and I don't know differences between the PC and 360 versions, but loading usually takes about 10 seconds for a brand new level, and 5 seconds or less if I do actually die at some point. I don't call that bad at all, I think the console version is a bit unoptimised and rough around the edges (and in between too).
Facial expressions are almost carved in stone however, feels like a throwback to 2002 or so, that's a big minus.

But if you stop looking at the graphics so much, you can have fun with it, I know I did.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm

i played through the demo and the game flat out blows, it's so bad not only would i not buy it at any price but even if someone gave it to me for free i wouldn't play it, the game engine is so outdated that postal 2's game engine from back in 2003 was superior to it and dnf's graphics engine borders on being a joke.

if you guys want to see what a really good game and graphics engine is play mafia 2, a game that would have been perfect if only it were a bit more open ended.
deadrats
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:38 pm

I suppose you missed the whole thread where everyone talks about how the demo is different than the full game then? That would be this thread actually. It's mentioned a few times.
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 am

I think he lost me when he whined about Postal 2 looking better. Heh. Not to say that Postal 2 isn't a classic. ;)

I thought the demo's visuals were similar to various other recent UE games and don't see what all the moaning is about.
swaaye
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm

wow.

http://www.giantbomb.com/duke-nukem-for ... 1/reviews/

meh. just watching that gameplay video / review makes me think this is not the game for me.
anybody play the game and actually "enjoy" it? not just tolerate it?
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to Gaming