Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Re: Games that make you RAGE

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 am

swampfox wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
Last one I remember cursing at was Mario Galaxy, one of its jumping puzzles. I hate jumping puzzles; they're just an exercise in split-second timing.

The ultimate expression of this need for precise and accurate timing would have to be NES Battletoads, which was so hard as to be unfair.

I don't recall Battletoads being any more difficult than other games of its era (e.g. the Megaman games had tricky parts like that as well). That was part of the fun back then.

At least Megaman gave you codes after each boss so that you weren't required to play flawlessly for 8 hours to beat the game. Battletoads was just cruel - I even had a hard time playing it with an emulator using save states.
Does not compute

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:47 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
assasin's creed 2, the section where you're trying to win a timed race through a course. I *still* haven't beaten that (anyone know cheats for the 360 so I can move on?!). Love the game to that point, but I cannot beat the 2 minute or whatever it is timer to get the GD golden mask.

Oh man! RACES... that totally brought back flashbacks of horror playing some of the races within some Ratchet & Clank series. Forgot which one it was, but it was in the desert and I must have tried to win the race 500+ times before giving up (even after watching a walk-through on youtube).

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:06 am

swampfox wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
Last one I remember cursing at was Mario Galaxy, one of its jumping puzzles. I hate jumping puzzles; they're just an exercise in split-second timing.

The ultimate expression of this need for precise and accurate timing would have to be NES Battletoads, which was so hard as to be unfair.

I don't recall Battletoads being any more difficult than other games of its era (e.g. the Megaman games had tricky parts like that as well). That was part of the fun back then.

You must have only played the Genesis battletoads.

The ultimate in good rediculous difficulty has got to be I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game
Truly unfair levels of difficulty, but it makes every little advance you make a truly satisfying accomplishment.
Youtube some letsplays of it.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

swampfox
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am

pikaporeon wrote:
swampfox wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

You must have only played the Genesis battletoads.

The ultimate in good rediculous difficulty has got to be I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game
Truly unfair levels of difficulty, but it makes every little advance you make a truly satisfying accomplishment.
Youtube some letsplays of it.

Nope, never had a Genesis... it was NES, wasn't it? I don't remember the space level, just that part on the 2nd section where you were on those race-car thingies underground. Maybe I have fond memories because of the huge kicks and punches in Battletoads.

Megaman has all kinds of evil timings; tried re-playing #2 (my fav as a kid) on an emulator, and was frustrated enough to give up.
C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2-800 | ASUS Radeon HD 4850 TOP | 500W OCZ ModXStream | WD10EADS | WD6400AAKS | Win7 64bit | Antec P182

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 am

SPOOFE wrote:
morphine wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
For me the last games to make me rage a royal raging fit were Demon's Souls and Ninja Gaiden II Sigma. Those were both brutally hard.

Hard or cheap? I hear people Demon's Souls as truly hard, and others describing it as simply cheap.

I guess Demon's Souls can be considered "cheap" in that dying makes you restart the whole level. In this day and age with checkpoints around every corner, and the occasional game that still lets you save anywhere, that can be considered "cheap", I guess. I just consider it "punishing", but when you finally do win it's a lot more satisfying than a lot of other games.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I just beat the first level after more than ten tries. Even watched a video walkthrough just to make sure I wasn't doing everything bass-ackwards. I'm still kinda loopy from the satisfaction of getting to that second Archstone.

Yeah, I agree that restarting the level feels "cheap". Even the original Super Mario Bros had checkpoints. But what I'll say is that controls were spot on. I didn't find "invincible" enemies or take hits that I shouldn't have. It's just HARD. Like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Battletoads was on both the NES and the Genesis, and they're the same game. Debating which is harder doesn't make sense. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:29 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Battletoads was on both the NES and the Genesis, and they're the same game. Debating which is harder doesn't make sense. :p

I don't know. Sid Meier's Pirates! was harder on the C64 than on the Nintendo.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I agree, debating the SAME game across consoles is definitely debatable. The code doesn't translate 100% across platforms. So they do the best they can. The controls are different, the graphics are different, and even the animation/sprites/scrolling is different.

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:16 am

thegleek wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I agree, debating the SAME game across consoles is definitely debatable. The code doesn't translate 100% across platforms. So they do the best they can. The controls are different, the graphics are different, and even the animation/sprites/scrolling is different.

It's not only the code, but the game itself can be different across each platform. For example the NES/SNES version of Jurassic Park (which had an overhead view like Zelda) was completely different than the Genesis version (which was a platformer).
Does not compute

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Oh man, all this talk about restarting levels and codes and save spots and such...

Anybody else ever play Kid Chameleon on Genesis? It was such a fun game, or at least I thought so. Incredibly unique, and the "setting" gave the designers a lot of freedom in level design. Lots of options how to play, too.

But there was, like, over a hundred levels, each brutally hard, with immense numbers of nasty tricks and puzzles and some levels that'll give you so many heart attacks you'll probably poop a ventricle... and no saves, no codes, no nothing. Run out of lives and continues, and you're back at the beginning. When I was a wee youth, my siblings would spend eight hours every Saturday, all summer long, playing in shifts to beat the durn thing. Years later I found we got to something like the third to last level, "The Final Marathon", which I will remember forever because it ate up like 150 lives.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Final Fantasy 5. Omega Weapon. nuff said ....
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 am

OK maybe it is debatable (I was reminded of the Genesis/SNES differences in the first two Mortal Kombat games), but has anybody else played both versions of Battletoads? The level layouts are identical, the controls feel identical (to me anyway), and they're both really f'ing hard. :p

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up my first console RPG, Hydlide. My grandmother bought it for me for Christmas when I first got my NES. I'd have given up RPGs altogether if my parents hadn't given me Final Fantasy a few days later on Christmas morning.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:59 am

bodom81 wrote:
League of Legends because people who are pro will troll you the entire game while you're getting your ass kicked. And your rage will just drive you to want to kill even more yet get yourself killed making you rage even harder near the point of heart attack.

lol @ lol. try playing hon. if you can't handle lol, DON'T EVER DOWNLOAD HON. it's WAY more competitive, faster, and pretty much better in every way. If you find LOL frustrating, the rule changes for hon will blow your mind. when i play lol, it's like i'm playing a child version of hon.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm

O and the 7th saga for snes.Don't know if anyone else here played it, but it's a insanely hard rpg.Only rpg i ever played were i wiped to the first random encounter after leaving the first city in the game.Actually had to level up just to be able to survive the random encounters in each new area.The bosses were even harder.Had to level and think out a strategy just to beat the very first boss of the game.Even then it's was still a near death battle.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 pm

So now I'm playing Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and I am reaching enormous levels of RAGE. It's the part where Bowser has to eat the giant carrot and you have to tap away all the pieces in his stomach in under a minute.

There's not nearly enough time, and half the time the stylus doesn't even register until you jab at it 4 or 5 times. After the umpteenth try I ragequit and threw the stylus on the floor.

Probably just going to move on to another game, which is a shame considering I was really enjoying it thus far. I just don't have the patience for this crap. I have better things to do than sit here all freaking day trying your s****y, unfun, impossible minigame so I can proceed.

Screw you whoever designed this.

EDIT: I beat it (just barely). I feel kind of silly now. Oh well. Still, it had me frustrated for quite some time.

EDIT 2: As a side note, this game is GREAT. Fighting as Giant Bowser = awesome.
Last edited by Grape Flavor on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Let's see...

Medal of Honor: Spearhead. Your character was in the Battle of the Bulge getting shelled and you had to complete all these objectives while getting shelled. After about a week of getting shelled (no pattern I could detect and there was no cover), I rage quit and never touched the game (or the series) since.

Enter the Matrix. The save points on this were stupid. I was at the part where you had to navigate this quite long construction site (for a power plant I think) with snipers all around. Once I got to what I thought was going to be a checkpoint save, it kept going. Spent about a week then rage quit.

Lord of the Rings on PS2. I forget the exact name, but it was an RPG. Battle of Helm's deep. After defeating quite a few orcs, with no save, I had to start fighting trolls, and a lot of them. Got past one troll, then two and eventually beat 3. Then there was a fourth troll. Where the hell is the break in battle that I can save? Rage quit that.

If you guys want true old school rage, check out "the angry video game nerd" on youtube. He plays through the most terrible old games and rages about them. Quite funny. And brings back a lot of memories.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:11 pm

I think usually boils down to the game making you do a certain section over, and over, and, over, and over. Not fun to most people.

Seriously. I've been playing games since I was a little kid. I'm not a novice or an idiot. If I hit a brick wall in a game, it's inherently poor design. I bought your stupid game to entertain me. Not to piss me off. :evil:

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 am

Dead Island.

I loved the game until I got to a point pretty far into the game, I'm pretty sure right near the end, where you have to keep some tribesman alive, and take out a butcher, a thug, and a crap ton of regular walkers. Doesn't seem so bad, right? except it auto saves right as you walk into the fight, and when your weapons/ammo degrade, they DO NOT go back to what they were from the save, but just keep going down every time you or the stupid AI dies. But, every time you/him dies, the zombies life goes back to full. I tried this part 20 times until all my weapons were broken and i had no ammo. There is absolutely no way I can do this part anymore without restarting the whole friggen game (after 17+ hours). I'm never playing it again.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:28 am

MrBojangles wrote:
O and the 7th saga for snes.Don't know if anyone else here played it, but it's a insanely hard rpg.Only rpg i ever played were i wiped to the first random encounter after leaving the first city in the game.Actually had to level up just to be able to survive the random encounters in each new area.The bosses were even harder.Had to level and think out a strategy just to beat the very first boss of the game.Even then it's was still a near death battle.

Yeah I still own it, and that game had a learning curve on it that beat you down unmercifully. Had to crawl back into to town and heal after each random battle for at least 5-6 levels before I could last 2 or 3 in a row. Everything hit like a bus and always seemed to suprise or hit you first. I was so happy when I finally beat that damn game...spent a lot of time cursing while playing it.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah I still own it, and that game had a learning curve on it that beat you down unmercifully. Had to crawl back into to town and heal after each random battle for at least 5-6 levels before I could last 2 or 3 in a row. Everything hit like a bus and always seemed to suprise or hit you first.

That reminds me of Breath Of Fire 2 (didn't play any of the other ones). The story was strange and bizarre, but moving to new areas saw enemies take huge leaps in health and damage dealing, and grinding was constant throughout the game. I keep getting tempted to try playing through it again via emulator but I just keep getting mental images of my party getting wiped out and hours of walking back 'n forth to get levels. Then there's the fact that there's apparently a whole bunch of little secrets and tricks that I never even touched on back in the day... I dunno.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah BOF2 was another grind&ragefest. There was a lot of their ilk back on the SNES...if I remember correctly there was one called paladin's quest...all the magic you needed to cast to beat monsters used your HP...no MP at all in the game...and the only place you could heal was back in the town. Back in the old day of RPGs, you got game length by making the game hard as hell and making you grind for hours....like the original DQ, the ultimate old skool grindfest.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:55 pm

It sounds like Rage is making a lot of people...Rage.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:21 am

sweatshopking wrote:
bodom81 wrote:
League of Legends because people who are pro will troll you the entire game while you're getting your ass kicked. And your rage will just drive you to want to kill even more yet get yourself killed making you rage even harder near the point of heart attack.

lol @ lol. try playing hon. if you can't handle lol, DON'T EVER DOWNLOAD HON. it's WAY more competitive, faster, and pretty much better in every way. If you find LOL frustrating, the rule changes for hon will blow your mind. when i play lol, it's like i'm playing a child version of hon.

I get it, HON is way more elite that LOL.

Anyhow, what I found most frustrating about LOL (which probably applies to DOTA and HON even more) was the snowball effect. I usually played in a group using TS, in which I was the most inexperienced one. As an inexperienced player, you're going to miss out on some early game advantages, which snowball s into missing out on big late game advantages (items). In end effect, I felt quite useless most of the time at the end of a 40 minute game, just because I messed things up at the start compared to the other, more skilful players. At the end of the game, they have an definite advantage AND more skill, which just makes a noob like me flamebait and nothing more.

That kind of snowballing really puts me off of a game. Same goes for 1v1 FPS games with items strewn around the map. If you have less skill, you're **** out of luck because the better player will absolutely dominate the map and you. In round-based games (like CS) where there are no items on the map, the only differentiator is skill and knowledge. Advantages from earlier in the game don't translate into later advantages at all, or at least a lot less.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:43 am

Need for speed The RUN. --- The game is refreshingly a bit different than other NFS titles, Story is crappy and the single person campagne is just too short. You ask me how much ? It's just 2 hours and 10 minutes long.

Race happens from San Francisco to New York, and you got to beat 200 racers before you reach your destination, so there no repetition of tracks.

Pros: Usuall good arcade style driving, no repetative tracks, nice cars and some nice graphics thanks to new frostbite 2 engine.

Cons: Short Campagne, Story sucked, FPS stucked at 30, lack of customization of cars & too costly for the fun you get out of it.

4/10

EDIT: For those poor soles unable to customize the keyboard arrow keys for acceleration and brake. Just switch of the number lock key and you will be able to assign the arrow keys.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:16 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
I've been working my way through Demon's Souls. Most of the RAGE comes from the inability to pause the game and go enjoy a cigarette every so often. Tis a game that frays the nerves, but hasn't felt unfair yet...
Wait what? You can't pause it? That's just wrong.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Well you can leave the game running in pretty obviously safe areas once you've cleared stuff out and there's like 99% chance that nothing will get you as things do not respawn within your playthrough. Only there's some levels with flying manta ray things where leaving your dude standing there doing nothing is potentially dangerous... also the hub is perfectly safe.

So far I've finished 1-1,1-2, 4-1,4-2,2-1,2-2.

It's a really good game and not cheap at all. Encourages you to find better items and learn how to deal with each enemy type. Once you learn how to beat each enemy you can quickly get to the places you want to get to in a map as they're usually laid out with a lot of multiple pathways. i.e. when you return you don't have to kill everything to get to where you want to go as you open up new pathways as you progress. E.g. after killing red dragon in 1-2 he will never respawn. Or if you defeat the mini-boss dude in 4-1 he won't respawn. etc.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 pm

One aspect of the game, despite it being "single player", is that other players can invade other worlds (alternate dimensions, whatever), so you can be unexpectedly invaded by a "black phantom". You can also summon helpful players (blue phantoms) to give you a hand, and if you feel up for it, you can invade someone else's game, too. Hence, no pausing.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:02 pm

The thing that is frustrating about LoL is the other players. There's no built in voice chat, so by the time you tell someone they're doing something stupid, they're already dead.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:33 am

SPOOFE wrote:

One aspect of the game, despite it being "single player", is that other players can invade other worlds (alternate dimensions, whatever), so you can be unexpectedly invaded by a "black phantom". You can also summon helpful players (blue phantoms) to give you a hand, and if you feel up for it, you can invade someone else's game, too. Hence, no pausing.

Yeah but when you're not human form you can't be invaded... so walking away from the game is fine.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

squeeb
Gerbil

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:17 am

Battlefield **** 3. I usually end up smashing my fist on the desk in rage...and yet I can't stop playing. Tonight was especially crappy...I lost something like 5-6 matches in a row, was playing awful and then kept getting random disconnect errors from different servers. Still kinda pissed about it.

:x
Ryzen 5 2600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon 5700

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:30 am

Starfalcon wrote:
MrBojangles wrote:

Yeah I still own it, and that game had a learning curve on it that beat you down unmercifully. Had to crawl back into to town and heal after each random battle for at least 5-6 levels before I could last 2 or 3 in a row. Everything hit like a bus and always seemed to suprise or hit you first. I was so happy when I finally beat that damn game...spent a lot of time cursing while playing it.

Ah yes, 7th Saga... I agree on the difficulty of that one. It was unique in one sense, that it had the "radar" so you could at least try to duck enemies (as compared to the usual random encounter methods), but the fights were brutal. It taught me the importance of power leveling.

Battletoads? I rented that for NES one time. Spent the WHOLE WEEKEND trying to get past the ^#@%^$##@ jetski levels! I finally did, ONE time, and immediately got my ass handed to me by Frosty the goddamn Snowman. Ugh, that game was ridiculously hard. Now "Battletoads/Double Dragon" on SNES was way more fun, and actually beatable!

As for the SNES, there was "Timeslip"... the only game I ever took back for a refund for no other reason than "it sucked." I am convinced to this day that it cannot be beaten without some sort of invincibility code. Even videos on youtube do not get past the one boss that always ended my game. Talk about cheap!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."