Final Fantasy XIV

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Final Fantasy XIV

Postposted on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm curious if anyone on here has played Final Fantasy XIV lately. I completely forgot about it until today and saw it for dirt cheap on Amazon. Is it actually worth trying out now or is it still as bad as the reviews have said?
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 780, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w
Omniman
Gerbil First Class

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Postposted on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:32 am

It is a good game if you like walking in an endless tunnel fighting monsters..otherwise do not waste your time. This was the first FF game I have not bought going back to the first one that came out. Hopefully square will put a little more effort in the next one.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:01 am

Well, I figure for 25 bucks on Amazon I'll give it a go. I had the beta for it but my desktop at the time was just being raped by the game.
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 780, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w
Omniman
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 am

Omniman wrote:I'm curious if anyone on here has played Final Fantasy XIV lately. I completely forgot about it until today and saw it for dirt cheap on Amazon. Is it actually worth trying out now or is it still as bad as the reviews have said?

Go for it it's a great MMO, but you'll need a really good PC and some friends to make it easier and faster to level up.
It's a beautiful MMO.
LiquidSpace
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

Having played at release till about 4 months in - No don't buy it.

From reading up on the game just a few weeks ago - still not worth buying.

-The game looks beautiful but the engine runs it horribly.
-The "world" is tiny, most zones are very thin corridors.
-The crafting system is massively convoluted and while is purposely complex, the lack of information on it made those "learning" it very frustrated. It has been simplified to some extent, but when it comes down to it, unless you devote your entire game time to crafting you cannot do well. Crafting is a class on it's own, but its not fun. As well, many crafting recipes would required ingredients made by a higher level craft skill level.
-Combat is awful. Bad. Terrible. Boring. It was advertised as an "active" system with "no auto attack", but in reality, you use up your energy/mana and then rely on what is essentially an auto-attack, except you have to constantly click it. A recent update actually added auto-attack, and revamped the system slightly, but it's still boring as hell. That being said, its no different than most of other mmo's. The exception is that it doesn't have the depth that FF11's did, or if it does, it is currently broken (the combo's or whatever they were called that allowed for additional attacks)
-Statistics are borked. Some statistics have such a little effect on your player or skills that there is no point in using them. What is a 5 (or is it 6?) stat game boils down to 2 stats, and those are limited by your level, so you eventually have to "throw them away" in those other broken stats.
-Equipment has huge disparities in usefulness and level. A level 15 item might be found at level 5, and by the time you are high enough to use it, it would be worthless. You could also equip items that outleveled you, but at a huge penalty stat wise, this was needed at times though, as items were so limited that you'd be level 13 using a level 5 wand or something because the only other one that existed was a level 16 wand. Repairing items is expensive, wearing outleveled items break faster, items themselves break extremely fast.
-The quests and "leves" as they are called are sparse, repetitive and sometimes broken. "Leves" are what you would consider "quests" in most games, except you're limited to the amount you can do on a daily basis. This would be ok if "quests" weren't actually "class progression quests" and only come every few levels (every 5). Which means that you literally can only do ~10 leves a day then grind grind grind, which in itself has a daily/weekly limit on the amount you can gain until you hit dimishing returns (this may have changed now, but from what I've heard it still exists in some form).
-Many advertised features still don't exist. Every town has chocobo stables, but no chocobos exist in the game as a mode of transportation. This doesn't really matter though because as I mentioned before, the game is woefully tiny in comparison to most MMO's.
-The game is just now putting out instanced content that is completeable. Previously zones existed, but you had no reason to go and even named mobs had no extra rewards for taking them down.
-Mob levels / aggro colors have zero correlation to their danger. There are huge discrepancies in mobs in the world. A level 30 mob that cons green to you could 1shot you. Some mobs like these are in tiny corridors directly adjacent to the mobs you need to grind to level up.
-And the game is buggy all around in general.

The upside is that it is still free to play since Sony acknowledges how broken the game is.

But it's just NOT fun.
I am jaded. I am cynical.
lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 am

I find it amazing how bad the game is considering how good FFXI is. FFXI is a very polished and good running game. How they made such a terrible sequel is beyond me.
xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

They farmed it out to china to make it, they didn't do anything inhouse. They pretty much got what they paid for...
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Well I gave it a go and had to stop playing within just a few hours because it was so bad! The corridor maps are so stupid! No sense of adventuring around and the UI was trash. Along with the rockem sockem robots battle system.
Omniman
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:45 pm

bump...

I tried to play during the beta but everything was awful. Got an email today about upcoming changes over the next ...year. They are going to start charging people to pay for the upgrade in the meantime. If it's still anything like it was during the beta, I don't see why people would pay to play. If I were SE, I think I'd shelve this version and release the new game as ffXV or w/e for a fresh start.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

**edit:
Looks like they posted this on their site 3 weeks ago... not sure why I'm just now getting an email lol.
bobboobles
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Gaming