First new gaming machine since Team Fortress 2

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

First new gaming machine since Team Fortress 2

Postposted on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:37 pm

I finally built a new machine last week. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I haven't had a gaming machine since TF2 came out (and at that point had an ATI X1900 Pro) . I've missed an entire generation of games! Things like Plants vs. Zombies and Torchlight have kept me going until the budget worked out.

My question for you, gerbils: what are the games from the last few years that are worth catching up on? Should be cheap by now :D

I'm thinking:

Bioshock
Borderlands
Civilization 5
Fallout 3
Metro 2033
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Your advice is cheerfully requested. Thanks in advance.
mentaldrano
Gerbil

Re: First new gaming machine since Team Fortress 2

Postposted on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Really enjoyed Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Should be able to get them at a good price.

Didn't care much for Stalker: Call of Pripyat or Shadow of Chernobyl.

I'd highly recommend Batman: Arkham Asylum.
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:57 am

Hey guys. tomshardware just let me know that steam is having a huge sale. i dont have any money for games but I might reinstall left for dead to try to beat some more of that game especially with new players. check this out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Steam- ... 13850.html

i recommend

left for dead games

killing floor

dead space

Battlefield Bad company 2 for sure. I got it for $7.99 a long time ago and I have put in like 400 hours. I don't know if it is available this cheap still.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit....especially if you can find some friends to play with (Cops vs. racers)

- Douglas Rochford
focusedthirdeye
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:06 am

If you enjoy fps, you won't go wrong with COD: MW2. Boderlands is another great game to not be missed (it can get long). If you enjoy strategy Civ 5 and Total War: Shogun 2 should be on a very short list. There was also this little game that came out... oh yeah, Starcraft 2.

Are you into RPG's at all? Dragon Age: Origins is pretty solid. Of course, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is out very soon. I'll be paying the early adopter tax on this one, and willingly.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:22 am

I wouldn't bother with BFBC2, Borderlands, or L4D(2) unless you have friends who will play with you. BF3 will displace BFBC2 for multiplayer and all 3 games have weak single player offerings. BFBC2 has mediocre scripting, especially compared to COD, Borderlands is tedious and a sloppy console port with FOV and mouse lag issues and unsatisfying gun-play in general, and L4D bots just aren't very much fun to play with. Your list is a good start otherwise.

Some other recommendations:
COD 4
Risen
Batman: AA
Hitman: Blood Money (about a year older than TF2, but still good :p)
The Witcher/Witcher 2
Wolfenstein (between mediocre and good, but may be worth a play through if you can find it for cheap)
Singularity (a bit better than Wolfenstein)
Alpha Protocol (sometimes buggy and frustrating, but entirely worth it for the story and can usually be found for ~$2 on sale)
arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Return to Gaming