Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:28 pm

Just downloaded the free Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I must say that I am VERY impressed. IMO it's better multiplayer goodness than about 95% of the games out there. Best of all it's free.

Anyone else give it a whirl yet?

EDIT: Fixed typo, and yet another...
Last edited by pez-king on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainCruise
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:27 am

I've been playing for the last week or so and it's great. Super graphics, nice maps, player options, etc. Some servers I've played on held up to 45-50 players........talk about a wild free-for-all!! :lol: Things can get pretty hectic. Can't beat this one for free.....
:wink:
Whoever said "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"..........
.............never caught anything.

~Cruise I

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:04 pm

I think the experience point system and the map system are pretty revolutionary. I hope to see that in more FPS team-based action games. The only thing I have noticed is that pretty much on all the maps the axis are on defense and the allies are on offense. Would be nice to see that changed.

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:15 pm

I've played around with the Linux version. It is quite nice. I also like that they released the Linux version at the same time as the Windows version. Usually there was a bit of a wait or many tweaks required to get games running.
Now I want to go home and play but I'm stuck at work. :cry:

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:08 pm

Too bad the game flat out refuses to run on my dialup connection. Without exception, *every* server that I have tried to connect to so far has given me a connection error. I can join the game, but it lags me out. Too bad, it looks like a decent game. :cry:
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:02 am

I just fired it up last night. I only got a chance to try out the soldier class on both sides. It was fun but kind of laggy for a ping of about 100. I'm sure the network code will be worked out over the next few weeks. Cant wait to try some of the other classes as well. Does the experience points carry over from game to game or is it just within one session? Fun nonetheless.

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:31 pm

Experience lasts between campaigns, so far I've seen either two campaigns(standard) or one big campaign containing all 6 maps.

Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:36 pm

I've been playing W:ET the last few days as well. Over the weekend I finally got a cable connection at home (that actually worked), and I hunted around for a free multiplayer game, since I'd never played over the 'net. It's great fun.

CaptainCruise
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:57 pm

eckslax wrote:
Too bad the game flat out refuses to run on my dialup connection. Without exception, *every* server that I have tried to connect to so far has given me a connection error. I can join the game, but it lags me out. Too bad, it looks like a decent game. :cry:

ACK.....really? I'm sorry you're having those problems. I've talked to some players running 56k and they seem to do OK. Is there anything you can do to try to improve your connection? I'm sure you've probably tried already.

I'm using a program called "TweakMaster" that I used when I had my 56k to "dial in" my "dial up" connection. Dunno if that would help you at all.

Hope that works out for you, hang in there. Hopefully someday I'll catch ya in a game.
:wink:
Whoever said "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"..........
.............never caught anything.

~Cruise I

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:19 pm

The lines are pretty bad where I live. I pretty much get 26.4kbps max. That's about half of what I could be getting if the telco actually upgraded our lines. At that point I would just go get DSL or cable though. It's kind of rediculous that I live a mile from a high school that is under construction and the best that I can get is crappy dialup. Oh well, I'll get something eventually. I'll try the program that you mentioned to see if it helps any. I know that it won't work miracles, but any improvement would be welcome. Thanks for your concern.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan