Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Re: Console vs. gaming PC

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:49 am

Are console fanboys still claiming console gaming is cheaper?

Just about anyone has a PC in this day and age, even if you do own a console.

Really, the only thing you need to pay a premium for is the graphics card. My HTPC's Radeon HD6850 currently goes for 2/3 the price of a PS3 or 360, yet delivers visuals far superior to. If you explore how to tweak the settings or config files, you can get 95% or more of the eye candy of the Ultra/Extreme in-game presets yet get roughly a 20% better frame rate, which will be far more fluid than any console.

Also, aren't 1080P monitors typically cheaper than 1080P TVs?

Victory: Consoles.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:51 am

ultima_trev wrote:
Also, aren't 1080P monitors typically cheaper than 1080P TVs?
It's the same difference. I've currently got a PC plugged into my 55" TV. I previously had my PlayStation3 plugged into a Dell UltraSharp U2410 monitor.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Are console fanboys still claiming console gaming is cheaper?

It often is perceived as such.

Just about anyone has a PC in this day and age, even if you do own a console.

Most people have PC's that lack graphical horsepower and the expansion slots necessary to add that graphical horsepower. But I pointed this out earlier, which you would know if you had read the thread.

If you explore how to tweak the settings or config files

... Then I'm not playing games. Not interested.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:23 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Even at default settings for most games pc rocks. Would adjusting resolution be below your cause??? I'm really confused where people get this consoles are flawless notion. Playing my nearly brand new xbox slim last lan party it locked up 3 times!!! yeah its great! Also have you used a Wii mote? Its the opposite of easy and intuitive let alone working with the storage and dashboard interfaces. PS3 is great but not perfect. I have console games that are AAA supposedly but suffer worse performance issues on console, skyrim anyone? We are on a tech forum if you can't be bothered with most pc games at this point you can't be bothered with games period. Why even troll this thread?

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Vrock wrote:
PC gamers need a scapegoat for the declining relevancy of their platform. Consoles are that scapegoat.

Kinda like how the Germans needed a scapegoat for the declining relevancy of Germany in the 1930s. Jews were that scapegoat.

Godwin'd. Thread over.

??? I don't think there is any notion that pc is in decline here. I thought for a while when we started seeing the migration of certain pc devs to other platforms but with the best MP title last year being a PC game before anything else I think we can safely say PC is doing just fine. Actually looking forward the pc is better positioned to compete or exist in the platform agnostic future. Consoles will soon find themselves struggling against the same nemesis as their hand held brethren.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
This discussion should totally be stickied as the never ending debate of PC vs console gaming. People need to deal with the animosity of the issue regardless.

Personally this discussion reminds me of political discussions, where one side is firmly entrenched regardless of what the other side says because they've simply had more experience on their side.

In my opinion there really is no contest in PCs vs Gaming. About the only boundaries between the two have been artificially created and caveats have been formed by MS's own agenda to push the x360, so they don't improve game support on windows or their atrocious GFWL client. If Valve gets it's act together we may see HTPCs with Steam on them being pushed in lieu of consoles in the future. They can even develop this market and have complete control over it with a little work.

Cross platform licensing of games for digital distribution will be the future, buying one copy gets it for every platform its on. Valve is moving in this direction and I'm excited.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:35 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
Cross platform licensing of games for digital distribution will be the future, buying one copy gets it for every platform its on. Valve is moving in this direction and I'm excited.

Valve did it exactly one time. It's not a trend. And if it does move in that direction, look for a suitable price hike to go along with it. I don't want to pay for every platform; I just want to pay for what I have.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm

I think the assertions that one platform is this or is that has been proven moot at this point. Its about preferences in your given situation. I prefer PC, I said it! There is no empirical data to justify my preference just that it does what I want for my situation. Consoles can't in my situation. In my situation PC serves best, always have probably will for as long as PC's exist. Consoles aren't cheaper pc's aren't buggier Consoles aren't really that different in the big picture etc. its all a wash especially with the way development is going these days. A real gamer will have all platforms even the broken ones(360, wii). Because of their passion for the games not the controller they hold. You don't have to make excuses or rationalize what you like its an subjective thing don't try to be objective about it. Its ok to be on a pc forum and like consoles. I don't understand it but it isn't wrong or right it just is what it is. I'm not in your position, maybe it has to do with what network your friends are on.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Valve did it exactly one time. It's not a trend. And if it does move in that direction, look for a suitable price hike to go along with it. I don't want to pay for every platform; I just want to pay for what I have.

Gabe had spoken to this point more than once its what they want to do. The steam phone app in the pipe and steam for PSN, they are trying to unify their platform. They've done it more than once, they did it for the mac steam launch and for portal 2 on ps3. They want to do it more but are having problems with their partners.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Even at default settings for most games pc rocks.

Yes, exactly.

Would adjusting resolution be below your cause???

If I have to "explore" how to do it, yes.

I'm really confused where people get this consoles are flawless notion.

I'm even more confused where you got THIS notion. WHO, exactly, thinks consoles are flawless? Cites, please.

We are on a tech forum if you can't be bothered with most pc games at this point you can't be bothered with games period.

I've seen very few assertions reach the lows of this one sentence of yours.

Why even troll this thread?

Physician, heal thyself.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Gabe had spoken to this point more than once its what they want to do. The steam phone app in the pipe and steam for PSN, they are trying to unify their platform. They've done it more than once, they did it for the mac steam launch and for portal 2 on ps3. They want to do it more but are having problems with their partners.

When I said once, I meant the PS3 launch of Portal 2. There's no platform royalty on the Mac like there is on any of the big 3 consoles. I don't want to pay the royalty if I don't own a particular platform. Lots of indie devs make games for Mac and PC and give you licenses for both, and Blizzard has been doing it since the 90s. The divide that is yet to be crossed is with consoles.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't think there is any notion that pc is in decline here.

Says it all.

Consoles will soon find themselves struggling against the same nemesis as their hand held brethren.

And just to be thorough he says it again!

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
I don't think there is any notion that pc is in decline here.

Says it all.

Consoles will soon find themselves struggling against the same nemesis as their hand held brethren.

And just to be thorough he says it again!

Its simply a fact, I know you try to use this to create bias in my statements but its the simple fact that people are becoming extremely distrustful in these extensive closed networks. Even apple has forseen this and started slowly changing the way it handles DRM on its products, yet consoles move in the complete opposite direction. You tell me, if you paid the same amount of money for a product on all platforms and had multiple as most consumers are beginning too would you rather buy something that is exclusively platform bound, or would you rather get stuff you can transfer easily between devices etc. PC has struggled as an open platform for a LONG TIME, but its finally coming out the other side of that with allot of momentum, part of that will be its ability to actually join in and ride the wave of affiliated open devices weather it be android phones, Iphones, or win 8 tablets and phones. Sony keeps flopping back and forth every 6 months as to what side of the fence they are on, Micorosft seems to have devided into two companies, xbox and windows strangely enough, Nintendo doesn't even know there are other console makers, let alone what PC's or smart phones are... This isn't a what is better you are a goof off, did I say here in this moment this is a better platform I was talking about technology forecasting. What the flip!?

EDIT: changed vested to distrustful. don't know how that got there :P
Last edited by kamikaziechameleon on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:46 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
Would adjusting resolution be below your cause???

If I have to "explore" how to do it, yes.

Dude, FYI... consoles have to be setup. You go in and make sure the resolution and aspect ratio are correct. In the case of my PS3 I had a display frequency setting that isn't even in the manual took me going on forums to get resolved. I've had to do setup for all my consoles, actually had to order special component cables for my wii to plug into my TV.

Guess you don't play any games, or if you do its all nasty and poorly formatted or displaying the inappropriate resolution. Don't know why someone who doesn't play games would be on this thread about gaming.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm

its the simple fact that people are becoming extremely distrustful in these extensive closed networks.

Not in any numbers large enough to make any noticeable difference.

The rest of the post I just quoted is absolute gibberish. I'm not even going to try.

consoles have to be setup.

I don't have to "explore" how to plug in two cables or press X a bunch of times. It was patently obvious. Digging through an .ini file is NOT patently obvious.

Guess you don't play any games

You got me. It's not that you're just a biased little brain with some of the worst language skills I've encountered in months, it's ACTUALLY that, this whole time, I've been lying: I've never played a game, ever, in my entire life.

EDIT: PS - you still haven't told me who described consoles as "flawless".

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Playing ME3 I have to freakin change discs all the time and it drives me nuts!

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:21 pm

SPOOFE, Dude... I don't know what your beef is here. I have not ever dug around in an ini file. I must not be a PC gamer. I have however had issues that you apparently don't with consoles.

Who said "consoles were flawless", no one said "Consoles are flawless great user experiences"

You have insinuated the notion that they are grossly different ends of the spectrum in terms of user experience... well its just not true anymore. Sad reality.

Go enjoy consoles I don't care it doesn't make you any less of a person or invalidate your opinion but you make misleading statements this is what I'm contesting.

I'm never going to gratify your ego with a, you are right its so much better in console world things are great over here. I have all the platforms its not a stretch for me to pull up very specific examples of issues I've had with any and all of them. I really don't know what your going for here.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:22 pm

leor wrote:
Playing ME3 I have to freakin change discs all the time and it drives me nuts!

Yeah I heard about how that really puts a damper on the xbox version, mean while PC has origin scanning all your personal accounting records and reporting back to EA.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I don't know what your beef is here.

I have none. You obviously do.

Who said "consoles were flawless"

YOU DID.

I'm really confused where people get this consoles are flawless notion.

At this point you're just being dishonest. Have fun with that.

You have insinuated the notion that they are grossly different ends of the spectrum in terms of user experience

I have specifically and consistently stated the exact opposite. Go away, troll.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 pm

This thread is troll-bait.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 am

SPOOFE, I went back and looked over several of your original posts on this thread. You pretty much just attack people. You offer little in the way of constructive conversation. This thread hasn't always been a flame magnet but had evolved into an interesting platform discussion no thanks to your input. You clearly prefer to bait people into arguments by insinuating they are liars, misquoting or just out right trying to pick a fight. Its easy to attack people, way of the intercepting fist was about showing how blocking(defending a point etc.) means you can't attack so to counter with an attack. Your aggressive and malicious behavior is self perpetuating, its neither appreciated nor constructive.

Its easy to make a claim (the moon is made of cheese) its pretty times consuming and expensive to disprove (mount a new moon landing mission). Think about that.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

SPOOFE, People typically do promote consoles like they do macs as this "They just work" product. Having used consoles and macs its an amazing pile of BS. Its that Notion I'm disputing. You can say no one has said it but its been a theme in this thread and other threads discussing similar topics on this sight. You've even gone so far as to insinuate it in prior statements. Sure call me a liar its what you do really well but it does change what you've elluded to on numerous occasions.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 pm

ultima_trev wrote:
you can get 95% or more of the eye candy of the Ultra/Extreme in-game presets yet get roughly a 20% better frame rate
Did you know that 67% of statistics are made up on the spot 43% of the time? At least 78% of people know this to be true.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Vrock wrote:
ultima_trev wrote:
you can get 95% or more of the eye candy of the Ultra/Extreme in-game presets yet get roughly a 20% better frame rate
Did you know that 67% of statistics are made up on the spot 43% of the time? At least 78% of people know this to be true.

LMFAO! :lol: yeah I know what he means :wink: . you get more better goodness on default pc than console but yeah using finite numbers is missleading :roll:

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 pm

SPOOFE, I went back and looked over several of your original posts on this thread. You pretty much just attack people.

I asserted recently that your posts are gibberish. I see you're determined to be consistent.

EDIT: PS- You gonna tell us who claimed consoles are flawless, or are you just going to continue being a troll?

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:47 pm

no one said "Consoles are flawless great user experiences"

You even misquoted that exact response in one of your prior posts.

I don't even know what you want, you've been sniping from the bleachers since the start of this thread.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Even at default settings for most games pc rocks. Would adjusting resolution be below your cause??? I'm really confused where people get this consoles are flawless notion. Playing my nearly brand new xbox slim last lan party it locked up 3 times!!! yeah its great! Also have you used a Wii mote? Its the opposite of easy and intuitive let alone working with the storage and dashboard interfaces. PS3 is great but not perfect. I have console games that are AAA supposedly but suffer worse performance issues on console, skyrim anyone? We are on a tech forum if you can't be bothered with most pc games at this point you can't be bothered with games period. Why even troll this thread?

Bolding mine. Here, I'll make it even more obvious:

SPOOFE wrote:

Bolding AND italics mine. Here, I'll make it even more obvious:

SPOOFE wrote:

And all I asked is "Who has this 'consoles are flawless' notion?" And ever since I asked that question you've been all bent out of shape, almost as if you're, like, in denial or something.

But keep at it. A quick breeze-through of the rest of this thread has shown your behavior to be REMARKABLY consistent. Almost like you neverr had anything interesting or worthwhile to say from the very beginning.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 pm

There is only one valid argument I can think of for consoles, and that is the ability to resell your games or rent games and take advantage of services like gamefly, etc. Other than that, none. And even that reason is fading away as we have cloud gaming services like OnLive that offers a similar level of convenience for the frugal gamer.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

ImSpartacus
Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:04 am

consoles are flawless

Threads like this one make me wonder if there is a God and he really did make humans in his image. He must be **** up behind belief.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 am

DeadOfKnight wrote:
There is only one valid argument I can think of for consoles, and that is the ability to resell your games or rent games and take advantage of services like gamefly, etc. Other than that, none.
Well, crap, that settles it. If DeadofKnight can only think of a single valid argument for consoles, then WTF are we all jibber-jabbering about? Mods, please lock this thread. It's been settled.