Mass Effect 3 demo released!

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 pm

The free PC demo of ME3 is now officially released, you can get it through Origin's client (when you're running teh Origin, go to "Store" section then "Free Games", should be there on front page), teh download size is about 2.1 GB. And yes, it requires Origin client to be installed, so if you have an unreasonable fear towards Origin (such as Origin kicking your dog or uploading child pornography to your PC so the "men in black" would have a reason to put you in jail, or some other nonsense you were conditioned to believe) - look elsewhere, or wait for a gaming console version.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm all over it like white on rice on paper plate in a snowstorm. It should be done by the time I get home from work.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Finished. If the demo is any indication of the final release of ME3 I am effing pissed. Terrible just terrible. The animation sucks.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 pm

I don't know why they release demos for games like Mass Effect. It's the kind of game where you need more than an hour to really understand what is going on. Furthermore, I doubt that they want to show off the shooting mechanics, since the shooting gameplay has been a historical weak point for the series.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

tanker27 wrote:Finished. If the demo is any indication of the final release of ME3 I am effing pissed. Terrible just terrible. The animation sucks.


I hate it when I hear stuff like this, although I appreciate your honesty and hold you to the highest level of integrity. So sad that I have to wait to play it until I get off work late tonight!
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5024
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Its just the tip of the iceburg. While my complaint is pretty petty. There is something mechanically ......off.....about it. I am holding out hope that because its something different that its just me. I am hoping this doesnt turn out to be the new Dragon Age 2. (Which coincidentally I liked but many didnt and I did recognize that it was way different from DA1)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 pm

The cover mechanic is a bit annoying to me, but maybe that's because I'm trying to play it like it's ME2. There's an AA "on/off" option in the graphics menu, which is a first for the series.
i5-750 @ 3.3 GHz; Asus P7P55D-E Pro; Thermalright Silver Arrow; Antec P183; 4 GB; 2x Radeon HD 6950; Corsair HX650.
UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:48 am
Location: The Enn See Arrr, Central-Eastern Canuckisthan.

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 pm

The controls are extremely responsive, perfect x/y mouse feel. I didn't really find the cover system that annoying, it worked when I needed it. There were a few instances where Shepard ducked for the wrong cover but it certainly wasn't a game breaker.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-
Jon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: -Canada-

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 am

The character and facial animations are way off- they're bad. And that's really sad as the animations in the FMVs are great. Too bad the quality of the FMVs hasn't improved either.

Gameplay mechanics are there and they work, not much different than ME2, and the cover system is still as straightforward to use while being occasionally awkward.

Mostly, the face animations SUCK. The voice sync-ing seems to be off a hair, the voices themselves a little off, and the faces are just wrong.
Also, many of the textures were extremely low rez.

They did this stuff so well in ME2, right now the game feels like a step back. I still have it pre-ordered, as I *do* want to finish the story, especially with the characters I've created so far.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5024
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:37 am

If anything, I'm looking forward to a massive sale (or any kind of sale honestly) for ME2's DLC before diving in ME3, since its supposed to start after the events of Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival.
The Internet wrote:"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"
lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:22 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:59 am

Supporting Origin is just asking EA to f*ck the games industry over even more than it already does.
I really want ME3, but it's like supporting Zombie-Hitler because he's promised you free candy instead of taxes.

DON'T BE WEAK, PEOPLE.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 am

Airmantharp wrote:The character and facial animations are way off- they're bad. And that's really sad as the animations in the FMVs are great. Too bad the quality of the FMVs hasn't improved either.

Gameplay mechanics are there and they work, not much different than ME2, and the cover system is still as straightforward to use while being occasionally awkward.

Mostly, the face animations SUCK. The voice sync-ing seems to be off a hair, the voices themselves a little off, and the faces are just wrong.
Also, many of the textures were extremely low rez.

They did this stuff so well in ME2, right now the game feels like a step back. I still have it pre-ordered, as I *do* want to finish the story, especially with the characters I've created so far.



So it isnt just me........

lethal wrote:If anything, I'm looking forward to a massive sale (or any kind of sale honestly) for ME2's DLC before diving in ME3, since its supposed to start after the events of Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival.


I think I saw it onsale already....29.99 for all of it.

Chrispy_ wrote:Supporting Origin is just asking EA to f*ck the games industry over even more than it already does.
I really want ME3, but it's like supporting Zombie-Hitler because he's promised you free candy instead of taxes.

DON'T BE WEAK, PEOPLE.


:roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am

I know I shouldnt feed the trolls, but trolls outside of their cage can be so cute at times...

Chrispy_ wrote:Supporting Origin is just asking EA to f*ck the games industry over even more than it already does.
I really want ME3, but it's like supporting Zombie-Hitler because he's promised you free candy instead of taxes.

DON'T BE WEAK, PEOPLE.

But I guess it's alright to let Steam f*ck the games industry just because they ask nicely before they f*ck it then ?
While steam has incredible deals at times, you can bet they earn a whole lot of money from them. And since they skimp on support, it's not exactly an ideal situation considering the amount of money people have in the system.

Not to mention them that having them take a big fat wad out of all DLC, way beyond distribution costs is bollocks, since they didnt do anything to earn it. And in the long run it just makes DLC more expensive since the publisher still wants there investments back.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:33 pm

I do have to say that the multiplayer is nice.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm

tanker27 wrote:
lethal wrote:If anything, I'm looking forward to a massive sale (or any kind of sale honestly) for ME2's DLC before diving in ME3, since its supposed to start after the events of Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival.


I think I saw it onsale already....29.99 for all of it.


Where/when? AFAIK the DLC prices for the PC version have been frozen since release (not a single sale that I know), and 29.99$ is still 3 times what I actually paid for the base game :-?. I think that's part of the reason why the EA vs Valve issue hasn't been resolved yet, since it would mean EA's DLC would eventually go on sale :lol:.
The Internet wrote:"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"
lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:22 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:50 pm

lethal wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
lethal wrote:If anything, I'm looking forward to a massive sale (or any kind of sale honestly) for ME2's DLC before diving in ME3, since its supposed to start after the events of Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival.


I think I saw it onsale already....29.99 for all of it.


Where/when? AFAIK the DLC prices for the PC version have been frozen since release (not a single sale that I know), and 29.99$ is still 3 times what I actually paid for the base game :-?. I think that's part of the reason why the EA vs Valve issue hasn't been resolved yet, since it would mean EA's DLC would eventually go on sale :lol:.


You got the game at a bargain, but understand that the DLC is actually worth it :).
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5024
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:33 am

lethal wrote:Where/when? AFAIK the DLC prices for the PC version have been frozen since release (not a single sale that I know), and 29.99$ is still 3 times what I actually paid for the base game :-?. I think that's part of the reason why the EA vs Valve issue hasn't been resolved yet, since it would mean EA's DLC would eventually go on sale :lol:.


On origin. You get the game and all of the DLC.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 am

Demo is okay, it is quite clear to me that ME3 is really ME2+. Bioware threw in side-jumping and made simple trade-off options when you level up your characters. Melee system has been reworked and enemies now have their own melee weapons (blades).

Methinks, Anderson is going to be a mid-boss when he falls victim to indoctrination.
Shepard's six-billion dollar resurrection has the nice side-effect of making him/her immune or at least resistent to effects of indoctrination. This is a very important plot-point.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4420
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am

Krogoth wrote:Methinks, Anderson is going to be a mid-boss when he falls victim to indoctrination.
Shepard's six-billion dollar resurrection has the nice side-effect of making him/her immune or at least resistent to effects of indoctrination. This is a very important plot-point.



Yep I am right there with you on that.

From the demo, I am gald that they are continuing the Genophage story and are trying to wrap it up. I dont know how I feel about it and certainly Wrex and Mordin both have very good reasons for how they side. I think I will have to side with Wrex on this issue, the Solarians are wrong.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am

They still have time to improve the shoddy facial animations, so hopefully they, you know... do that. Besides that I really have no complaints. The skill trees are still simple yet you have a bit more control, and power combos are a nice touch. I really like the idea of sticky grenades. Can't say much about graphics in general since it still looks like ME1 with minor improvements. The new melee is pretty neat, but I can't see using it all that much.

I'm looking forward to it for sure.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:08 am

tanker27 wrote:
lethal wrote:Where/when? AFAIK the DLC prices for the PC version have been frozen since release (not a single sale that I know), and 29.99$ is still 3 times what I actually paid for the base game :-?. I think that's part of the reason why the EA vs Valve issue hasn't been resolved yet, since it would mean EA's DLC would eventually go on sale :lol:.


On origin. You get the game and all of the DLC.


If you mean the Digital Deluxe Edition over there http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en ... D.56646700 that's just the regular edition with the first comic and a few cosmetic DLC, unless it's a US only thing and you can't see it elsewhere. On the product page there's no mention anywhere about all DLC being included or similar.
The Internet wrote:"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"
lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:22 pm

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 am

tanker27 wrote:
Krogoth wrote:Methinks, Anderson is going to be a mid-boss when he falls victim to indoctrination.
Shepard's six-billion dollar resurrection has the nice side-effect of making him/her immune or at least resistent to effects of indoctrination. This is a very important plot-point.



Yep I am right there with you on that.

From the demo, I am gald that they are continuing the Genophage story and are trying to wrap it up. I dont know how I feel about it and certainly Wrex and Mordin both have very good reasons for how they side. I think I will have to side with Wrex on this issue, the Solarians are wrong.


Wrex/Mordin are both pragmatists and "old wise fighter" archetypes in their respectful cultures. It would be quite interesting to see their chemistry.

I suspect that the Quarian/Geth thread will have a sufficient impact on the plot.

Also, Udina is going to survive everything, because sometimes asshats who deserved to get whack for their crap, get away scot-free.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4420
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 am

Krogoth wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Krogoth wrote:Methinks, Anderson is going to be a mid-boss when he falls victim to indoctrination.
Shepard's six-billion dollar resurrection has the nice side-effect of making him/her immune or at least resistent to effects of indoctrination. This is a very important plot-point.



Yep I am right there with you on that.

From the demo, I am gald that they are continuing the Genophage story and are trying to wrap it up. I dont know how I feel about it and certainly Wrex and Mordin both have very good reasons for how they side. I think I will have to side with Wrex on this issue, the Solarians are wrong.


Wrex/Mordin are both pragmatists and "old wise fighter" archetypes in their respectful cultures. It would be quite interesting to see their chemistry.

I suspect that the Quarian/Geth thread will have a sufficient impact on the plot.

Also, Udina is going to survive everything, because sometimes asshats who deserved to get whack for their crap, get away scot-free.


Having read the leaked storyline of the game, all I can say is heh. :D

The demo looked worse than ME2, with significantly lower-res textures. This is well-documented, and the general understanding is that this was done to reduce download times. Lets hope that's true and the final product will look at least as good as ME2.
BlackStar
Gerbil
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:38 am

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:48 am

So lets make he the official game thread.

Anyways, my FemShep is kicking ass and taking names.

However, part of me feels that ME3 needs more cowbell. (get it right.......ahh the lack of sleep)


Coincidentally, I find it really funny that ME3 was available on teh intarnets a whole three days before release in both 360 and PC forms. I "saw" last Friday. So much for DRM!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Mass Effect 3 demo released!

Postposted on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am

It is suspected that one of the "Space Edition" copies leaked the game to the world.

Anyway, I haven't played the game yet, but there is already a huge outrage at the BSN over the lackluster ending that was leaked.

Basically, the Reaper were created by some ancient precursors to kill/absorb "advanced" organic before they reach a technological singularity. Ironically, reapers are the very definition of a singularity. The entire thing is circular logic at its finest.

Shepard makes a choice that comes down to accepting the reapers, combine organics/synthetics, kill all synthetics. In all of the outcomes, the Mass Relay Network gets destroyed, Normandy itself gets stranded on a remote world and Shepard "dies".

It seems like the ending was rushed and wasn't completely thought out.

I hope the game itself fares better.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4420
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime


Return to Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests