Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta!!!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

tanker27 wrote:
BAH! So it seems I made some serious wrong decisions when leveling my Guardian to 80 (which I reached last night). I did the same thing in WoW when I didnt know the in's and out of the game.

So I didnt gather anything. No ore, wood, or food. Nothing. And it seems I chose the wrong path in my personal story which gives me rewards that are useless to me. Grrrrrr oh and to top it of I blew a lot of Karma I shouldnt have.

Oh well. I will use my Guardian WvW and just level another toon.

What path did you choose for your personal story? Are you in the TR Guild (CBE) ? A level 80 would be beneficial from in game standpoint for the guild.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 am

I chose the Whisper's path....I havent finished it yet but I dont think theres any going back from what I am reading.

I'm not in CBE, while I have no aversion to be in it I just want to be careful of my guild choice. In any MMO i have played I have never been a guild hopper and tend to stay with one for long stretches at a time so I tend to be cautious. (Some things I look for is guild activity and primarily all adult 18+)

I did see a few CBE players yesterday floating about while doing Jormag at noon and 5PM.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 am

tanker27 wrote:
I chose the Whisper's path....I havent finished it yet but I dont think theres any going back from what I am reading.

I'm not in CBE, while I have no aversion to be in it I just want to be careful of my guild choice. In any MMO i have played I have never been a guild hopper and tend to stay with one for long stretches at a time so I tend to be cautious. (Some things I look for is guild activity and primarily all adult 18+)

I did see a few CBE players yesterday floating about while doing Jormag at noon and 5PM.

You can join multiple guilds in gw2 - you can only represent one at a time. Honestly the CBE groups of guys (and gals?) are cool, but they don't do much, there doesn't seem to be many if any organizers of dungeons, SPvP or whatever else. I'm still looking for that balance of casual/focused guild. I had a great guild in the WoW days but they aren't playing gw2 at the moment.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 am

I like how CBE is developing. You join CBE, and it's forever, but it's mainly a place to hang your hat and know there are likely some decent adult players to be found.

You go join and represent Flavor Of The Week [FAD] to get the huge dungeon team together, or go organize a huge PvP/WvW assault.

It's the best of all worlds, to me.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:59 am

So last night I created a Warrior and quite frankly, I am in love with the class. But it is making me question my Guardians abilities. To put it simply my Warrior is a lot tougher at level 20 than my Guardian is at 80. I dont think its playstyle either. I tend to think I have grasped the Guardian since I attained 80, I dont think its gear either. I went with Shaman gear which gives healing and condition stats. So that leaves me with health/vitality. The warrior has traits that make it constantly regen health when being attacked. As for my Guardian he is suppose to block incoming attacks, I can do 4 outright with traits, skills, etc. Add in the roll/ dodge that heals and he is suppose to be an unstoppable force. I just cant figure it out.

Oh well, onward with my new main or FOTM.

By the way, the fact I never gathered on my Guardian is one reason why I took two weeks to get to 80. I can already tell the difference by hitting every node on my warrior as the levels are coming much quicker during my play sessions.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:13 am

tanker27 wrote:
So last night I created a Warrior and quite frankly, I am in love with the class. But it is making me question my Guardians abilities. To put it simply my Warrior is a lot tougher at level 20 than my Guardian is at 80. I dont think its playstyle either. I tend to think I have grasped the Guardian since I attained 80, I dont think its gear either. I went with Shaman gear which gives healing and condition stats. So that leaves me with health/vitality. The warrior has traits that make it constantly regen health when being attacked. As for my Guardian he is suppose to block incoming attacks, I can do 4 outright with traits, skills, etc. Add in the roll/ dodge that heals and he is suppose to be an unstoppable force. I just cant figure it out.

Oh well, onward with my new main or FOTM.

By the way, the fact I never gathered on my Guardian is one reason why I took two weeks to get to 80. I can already tell the difference by hitting every node on my warrior as the levels are coming much quicker during my play sessions.

I know exactly what you mean. They dish out some serious damage too, even defensively built. My engy his 54 last night and I'm having a hard time killing things my level or even 1-2 levels lower. Since I don't dungeon as much as I want, I might as well spec out of healing. I had just learned that a respec of traits is like 2 silver at level 80 so it's really NBD at all. Nice. I plan to be on a quite a bit tonight if anyone wants to group for anything. I have to go shopping and lift but I'm thinking around 6pm EST - ?. Perhaps I'll see you then.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 pm

I've only made it halfway to level 80, but Guardian has been my favorite class to play so far. Thief has been my least favorite.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 am

Anyone have any good links to crafting guides? The ones at guildwarsinsider.com aren't exactly the best. What I am looking for is a list of all items that can be created through discovery, mats it takes, etc.

The two I am most interested in are Jewelcrafting and cooking.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:49 am

So I ran the Ascalonian Catacombs in explorer mode this weekend. I had 1 guy from a guild I am part of run with me, but otherwise it was a pug. I keep hearing how group composition shouldn't matter because everyone can heal/damage/support but the more I hear it, the less I see it actualized. First, if you thought AC story was hard, then explorer is much much harder. I can't stress enough.

We managed to clear it all after 2.5-3 hours I would guess. The bosses are brutal, I mean 1 shot brutal. You miss a dodge, dead. No questions, dead. It took a lot of dying to figure out what worked and what didn't. I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil it. However, regarding my compostion comment, I think running these things without a warrior offtank and a guardian main-tank or something like that is a huge mistake. Sure, I can equip a shield as an engineer but if I don't take the traits for tanking, and don't have gems/skills for tanking, it does me no good. ALso, the very fact that they offer such abilities further leads me to believe there is a 'tank' role despite who wants/has to play that role.

We had no tanks. Nada. We kited EVERYTHING and died at least 20 times. At least the reward offset the cost investment pretty easily. I would say not to repair in between graveyard runs until the fight mechanics are known at which point you can repair and try 'for real'. The bosses are Purple champions but these champions made the King from story mode look mundane. Overall I didn't have a lot of fun doing it because the fights felt more like punishment than a reward for doing it correctly. I'm hoping that as I learn to play better as does the community as a whole, these things will get a tad more manageable. I'd also like to see a way to convert Tears of Ascalon into other 'badges' because that was tough as hell, and what I can buy with the badges are pretty much crap. I suppose you can transmute the gear with better stats but still. A full clear gave us 30 badges total. Most of the gear you can get with it costs 350-500+ tears. The run also netted me 50K bonus XP not counting the kill xp from the run itself. I'm told that AC is the hardest by far, we'll see.

I think I'm going back to leveling/playing

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
ALso, the very fact that they offer such abilities further leads me to believe there is a 'tank' role despite who wants/has to play that role.

While I haven't done any dungeons.....to me it is apparent that regardless of what Anet says they are using the trifecta and will continue to do so. Doing the events in Orr on my Guardian it was very noticeable. Groups like yourselves are screaming in /map for a Gaurdian or Warrior.

While there are tons of naysayers on the GW2 forums, the bottom line is this: high level events and dungeons are made easier if you have a tank. This idea or notion of the endless kite is ridiculous and not really feasible unless you pile on more players which you dont have that luxury in a dungeon.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:43 am

tanker27 wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
ALso, the very fact that they offer such abilities further leads me to believe there is a 'tank' role despite who wants/has to play that role.

While I haven't done any dungeons.....to me it is apparent that regardless of what Anet says they are using the trifecta and will continue to do so. Doing the events in Orr on my Guardian it was very noticeable. Groups like yourselves are screaming in /map for a Gaurdian or Warrior.

While there are tons of naysayers on the GW2 forums, the bottom line is this: high level events and dungeons are made easier if you have a tank. This idea or notion of the endless kite is ridiculous and not really feasible unless you pile on more players which you dont have that luxury in a dungeon.

So far, given me experiences, I agree completely. Guardians were made to take damage, warriors can be made too.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Engineer with a rifle is as pure a kiting experience as I've played in a long while. Guardian with greatsword is just good face-to-face whomping fun.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:36 am

So last night I found myself in a group (mob if you will) that were just roving from event to event in the human zone that has all the centaurs, lvl 20-25, I forget the name. Anyways there were a couple of warriors along with myself and I was kind of keeping an eye on their game play. Both were using the GS and not any group buffs save for an occasional banner. Myself, I am rocking a sword and horn and yeah all my buffs are group ones, Shake it off, On my target, And the might one. They kept dying like in the first few seconds of any encounter.

I dont think people understand the game that Anet has created. And I guarantee that these two warriors are recent converts from WoW where DPS is all that matters. Big Numbers if you will. I may not know all the ins and outs to GW2 but I certainly understand the flow of combat. Use the starters and finishers liberally and use your group buffs every chance you get, combat is so much easier when you can accomplish this.

I wish Anet has given us a way to save certain setups for 'events'. Im not just talking specs but just a way to change your buffs on the fly. I (as we all do) use certain ones for soloing and then there are others that we would use for dungeons and groups. Something like how weapon switching works would be great.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
So last night I found myself in a group (mob if you will) that were just roving from event to event in the human zone that has all the centaurs, lvl 20-25, I forget the name. Anyways there were a couple of warriors along with myself and I was kind of keeping an eye on their game play. Both were using the GS and not any group buffs save for an occasional banner. Myself, I am rocking a sword and horn and yeah all my buffs are group ones, Shake it off, On my target, And the might one. They kept dying like in the first few seconds of any encounter.

I dont think people understand the game that Anet has created. And I guarantee that these two warriors are recent converts from WoW where DPS is all that matters. Big Numbers if you will. I may not know all the ins and outs to GW2 but I certainly understand the flow of combat. Use the starters and finishers liberally and use your group buffs every chance you get, combat is so much easier when you can accomplish this.

I wish Anet has given us a way to save certain setups for 'events'. Im not just talking specs but just a way to change your buffs on the fly. I (as we all do) use certain ones for soloing and then there are others that we would use for dungeons and groups. Something like how weapon switching works would be great.

GW1 had a skills template were you could save your builds and change in town or outposts.This would be nice to have in 2 , but maybe with weapon swapping they thought it was not needed. I don't think Ive seen anything like this yet, hell, I just discovered autoloot last night.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 am

rogue426 wrote:
I don't think Ive seen anything like this yet, hell, I just discovered autoloot last night.

WTF! There's a autoloot!? Where..... how....... :o
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 am

AUTOLOOT?? Also, I need to know the hotkey for weapon switch.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 am

tanker27 wrote:
rogue426 wrote:
I don't think Ive seen anything like this yet, hell, I just discovered autoloot last night.

WTF! There's a autoloot!? Where..... how....... :o

Autoloot is first box in the column under options. It took me a minute to find it after I read about it in a crafting guide.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

Forge wrote:

No hotkey for weapon switch, its a box on the left of your skillbar, with arrows in a circular motion. Ele's don't have weapon swap because of attunement swaps.
Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian and Engineer do have it. I dont know about Necro or Thief cause I havent rolled either of those yet.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 am

Hot diggity, I may be playing GW2 instead of Borderlands 2 tonight. Autoloot! Incredible!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am

Forge wrote:
Hot diggity, I may be playing GW2 instead of Borderlands 2 tonight. Autoloot! Incredible!

Borderlands 2 does have autoloot for ammo and cash :P
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

gigafinger
Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 am

rogue426 wrote:
Forge wrote:

No hotkey for weapon switch, its a box on the left of your skillbar, with arrows in a circular motion. Ele's don't have weapon swap because of attunement swaps.
Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian and Engineer do have it. I dont know about Necro or Thief cause I havent rolled either of those yet.

Tilde ~ is the weapon swap hotkey.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 am

Besides autoloot this is huge news!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/anno ... -mac-beta/

Today we’re happy to announce another major milestone in the development of Guild Wars 2: going forward, ArenaNet will also be supporting the game on Apple’s Mac OS X. The Mac Beta client is available immediately for all Guild Wars 2 players. It shares the same features and connects to the same live game servers as the PC client. Anyone who purchases Guild Wars 2 can now play it on both PC and Mac.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Forge wrote:
Simple enough. It's the ` key, just to the left of the 1 on the top left of your keyboard. That matches the position of the weapon swap icon relative to the numbered skills on your skill bar.

Neither Elementalists nor Engineers can swap weapon sets in combat. However, elementalists can switch among the four different elemental attunements and engineers can switch to grenades, bombs or med kit on the fly instead of using a weapon.

All of the other six professions can swap between primary and backup weapon sets during combat. Some traits provide significant bonuses when you swap, in addition to the tactical advantage of swapping the five weapons skills for useful combinations.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 am

So since i'm back to leveling a new 80 I have started with completing all starter areas then moving to the 15-25 zones, so on and so forth. I find this actually helpful for professions in gathering resources and in theory you should find yourself over-level and better equipped for the zone you are in. With that being said, last night I found myself in Kessex (last of my 15-25 zones) once again and I am rolling through the hearts, grabbing POIs and Vistas. I just happened on the broken bridge where there are a couple of events that occur there and what did I see? I slew of botters. Seriously!? People are still doing it after the ban hammer went out? Needless to say I spent the next 10 minutes observing them to be sure, I even whispered a bunch as for help and directions to which I didn't ever receive a response. I then proceeded to report every single one and I dont feel bad for doing it. Besides controlling the events to where I cant participate it just plainly ticks me off.

I'm going to have to say it again but GS warriors make me sad.

My last rant of the morning is for you people that like to steal the warrior flags. 1) its a long cooldown until I can place another one 2) dont steal my flag robbing the group of buffs and just buff yourself, you selfish bastard 3) and dont steal my flag because you want the swiftness buff for yourself to just run through hearts or travel in general! If you want your own flags roll a warrior but leave mine alone!

I know in the heat of combat or looting you may accidently pick one up, no biggie, just place it back down. Really Anet needs to lock these down to only be retrievable by its owner.

Oh and i'm still looking for good crafting guides. And links you guys have would be appreciated.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 am

I've been running my warrior with sword+mace. Daze and knockdown from the mace offhand are handy.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:44 am

So my new leveling plan seems to be working well, in addition to actually grabbing crafting nodes spread out among tyria (600+ raw Iron ore anyone) and having two crafting professions (Jewelcrafting and weaponsmith.....I wish there was a good guide, I feel I am wasting mats just doing whatever to level them) and hitting all the starter zones of the different races and their accompanying 15-25 zones, I find myself mid 40 with a lot left. I am calculating I should be 80 before I reach Orr.

So last night as I was running about its seems some GS warrior noticed that I was running sword/horn and that I am able to take on elites and veteran elites with no trouble. (Champions are still a problem) I went over with him on what I was doing and that I rely on my Bleed condition for packs as I switch through mobs in a pack. And that the #5 skill on the horn offers superior health regen and I keep it on cooldown, not to mention its an AoE blast that helps the party. I may have a convert, we'll see.

So one question I have are trophies, they are unsalvageable and cannot be sold to NPC vendors are they used for something? Something I havent come across. As of now I am keeping them. On my guardian I just destroyed them.

NinjaEdit:

It seems I cannot log into the forums. I get the same error everytime in every browser (Ie, Safari, FF, and Chrome) and the form itself is no help and my emails to forum support have gone unansrewd for a week now. Can anyone help? (Things I have done: Cleared cache and cookies, dumped DNS, tried a different DNS, tried a different PC all together)

The error is:

Error 401: Unauthorized
ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken
Sorry, but you have stumbled upon a rare error. If you are a person
(and not a bot), it could be that you have disabled cookies. If so,
you must enable them to use this forum. Sometimes corrupted cookies
also cause this error. Occasionally when multi-tab browsing, if you
logged out in one tab, you may get this error on another tab. Close
all tabs and try again. You may also get this error when leaving
browser windows or tabs open for a very long time. Close your
browser/tabs and try again. If this error persists, you may try to
close all other browser tabs, and log in again. If the error still
persists, please email [email protected] or contact Guild Wars 2
Support.

This error happens after I agree to the forum rules.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 am

tanker27 wrote:
So one question I have are trophies, they are unsalvageable and cannot be sold to NPC vendors are they used for something? Something I havent come across. As of now I am keeping them. On my guardian I just destroyed them.

If they don't sell as junk, they are probably part of a heart quest as an item you can give to the NPC to boost your progress on that quest. After you are done with that particular quest, they are useless AFAIK.
The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 am

lethal wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

If they don't sell as junk, they are probably part of a heart quest as an item you can give to the NPC to boost your progress on that quest. After you are done with that particular quest, they are useless AFAIK.

OH......hmmmm, I was thinking they were used in crafting in some way, but you may be right.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

lethal wrote:
This.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Re: Guild Wars 2

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:19 am

Still waiting for the reward system retool on WvW a.net has been talking about. I hit 80 last week and I've still been trying to make gold for my exotics. I have no intention to grind anets gawd awful version of dungeons (3 hours is way too long in a dungeon), so that just leaves me with farming and the AH. Anet has been stealth nerfing all the things I've been making gold off of and I don't realize this till I've pretty much lost everything I've made, which has happened four times already.

Also during the TP fiasco on Tuesday I ended up putting up a offer before it went down the second time and lost 90% of my gold due to the order not being on the TP, having none of the items I ordered, and no gold was refunded... Yay...

Guardian is kinda weird, I'm still trying to figure out how they're supposed to be amazingly defensive. Overall they don't seem all that defensive. They have a lot of neat defensive abilities, but those only last for like 10s and the Virtues have really long CDs unless you spec into the bottom tree. Quite a few of the defensive abilities are pretty pointless too... Overall guardians don't seem to have a big enough impact for what they're supposed to be... I think a lot of the radii and defensive stats need to be buffed... Like for instance, healing except for the tome, is pretty worthless. Most of the heals besides the tome are tiny little self heals that don't really help anyone around you all that much. The virtue included is pretty worthless.

Perhaps this will change with +heal gear I don't have, but I sorta doubt that.

So overall, frustrated... but still playing.