setting a small LAN PARTy

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

setting a small LAN PARTy

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 am

Hey guys. I always wanted to play on a LAN Party...so my friends and I want to setup a LAN
to play games, like MW3, BF3...

So here are the requirements I need:
one switcher with enough ports for the PC's on the network

so, what I want is you to help me with another configurations, what do I have to configure on software
, workgroup??? ...

tq :) :D
Core i5-2500K|MSI P67A-GD55|8GB DDR3-1333|Sapphire R6950 2GB|1TB WD SATA3|CoolerMaster V6 GT|Logitech Z103|Logitech K200|SAMSUNG SyncMaster SA350|Xigmatek NRP-PC502|
luisnhamue
Gerbil

Re: setting a small LAN PARTy

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:22 am

With the two games that you mentioned you really don't have to have any settings done as neither of them have Lan support. Basically what you will be doing is playing with the group that you have on online servers. Alot of the current games have lost lan support and only support online multiplayer.
DrkSide
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 am

They don't need to be configured for the same workgroup, they just need to be on the same IP subnet. You can either configure the TCP/IP settings manually on each system, or use a cheap router to automatically hand out IP configurations (DHCP).

Edit: Based on DrkSide's comment, it sounds like you're going to need an Internet connection and router anyway. If you're connecting through a remote server, depending on the speed of the shared Internet connection things could get kind of laggy depending on how many of you are playing.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:12 pm

aw...i dunno how i forgot that one...those games have online servers.
so it means im **** up...my internet connection has been capped to 100KB/s. but it can reach more using an in-host-proxy program
capable of masquerading packets coming/leaving my PC.

the thing is that i was using ultrasurf, but now, the administrator of the proxy server computer responsible for giving me internet access
has blocked the port where it was using for sending the packets. which is 9666
now, im looking for another in-host-proxy server.
Core i5-2500K|MSI P67A-GD55|8GB DDR3-1333|Sapphire R6950 2GB|1TB WD SATA3|CoolerMaster V6 GT|Logitech Z103|Logitech K200|SAMSUNG SyncMaster SA350|Xigmatek NRP-PC502|
luisnhamue
Gerbil

Return to Gaming