Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Kickstarter Game Projects

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:47 pm

First impressions of WL2:

* I find it...challenging. Maybe I am rusty in single RPG play. My characters have died so many times that I learned to save early and often. It is quite amusing when NPC's go rogue. Just like in the old days.

* I can still see the Toys R Us in my mind with the rack of Commodore 64 and such games back in 1986. Had to persuade my Dad that Wasteland wasn't "too violent". Lots of nostalgia going for this universe. Finster's head in the Ranger Citadel museum? Sweet.

* A bunny 1-shot one of my people. Very nice.

* I also screwed up and didn't finish something fast enough. There is a timer and now Highpool looks doomed. I HATE timers in RPGs, especially when they allow exploration. Fallout 1 did the same thing.

* I already restarted the game once and rolled characters with more INT> read: skills are important.

* I'm finding ammo management to be tolerable, but medic packs are in high demand. Overall, I'm enjoying it but still find the interface a little clunky. WoW has spoiled me in that regard.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:04 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I also screwed up and didn't finish something fast enough. There is a timer and now Highpool looks doomed. I HATE timers in RPGs, especially when they allow exploration. Fallout 1 did the same thing.

There isn't any timer. You can only save one or the other. The Radio broadcasts are only for flavor; the other location is doomed the second you set foot in the first one.
Last edited by Glorious on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I find it...challenging. Maybe I am rusty in single RPG play. My characters have died so many times that I learned to save early and often. It is quite amusing when NPC's go rogue. Just like in the old days.

What difficulty? And did you pick up an old friend as your first NPC in the starting location?

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I already restarted the game once and rolled characters with more INT> read: skills are important.

Yeah, that seems to be the crucial stat in this game. I wish that were better balanced...

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I'm finding ammo management to be tolerable, but medic packs are in high demand. Overall, I'm enjoying it but still find the interface a little clunky. WoW has spoiled me in that regard.

Yeah, I seem to always have just enough ammo, which keeps me worried but never frustrated. Perfect balance there, I think.

I heavily rely on leveling for the free heals too. ;)

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 am

Glorious wrote:
What difficulty? And did you pick up an old friend as your first NPC in the starting location?
Default difficulty (1 above rookie I guess). I think I have a handle on it now. Mostly completed Ag Center. Yes, the old friend rules.

Glorious wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the crucial stat in this game. I wish that were better balanced...
Yes, I'm rolling with all INT 10 now. Also seems you can get some stat boosts from items rabbit's foot for luck. -2 Animal Whisperer? Oh noes.I also find it interesting that I have several fighters and several skilly people. My main medic is terrible at fighting but that seems ok so far. It's funny how many safes are everywhere. I guess they wanted you to be able to use Safecrack, which was mostly useless in the old game.

Glorious wrote:

I heavily rely on leveling for the free heals too. ;)

Me too. People online were complaining that free heals were "exploitable" and such. My rangers would quickly fill graves without those.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm playing on the same difficulty and I'm not too far beyond you in story progression either. I started with the official release just like you, didn't touch the game before. I tend to be a completionist, so I've been wondering around the wastes trying to find locations.

I've only run into one location fight that I wasn't able to handle, so I backed off for awhile and revisited it later. It was still hard, but with better gear and somewhat better skills it was doable.

I think they've done a better job than most at making most of the skills useful and evenly-distributed. It's not perfect, but it's darn sight better than a lot of other games. My only disappointment is with the attributes, because as we discussed Intelligence is king. It's really a problem because Intelligence->Skills->Weapon Proficiency. Your high intelligence dweeb is ironically going to become your best fighter *very* quickly, because they are going to be the only ones that can hit and crit effectively. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Here is my experience, if you are interested (story-free):

1. You need to buy new gear. Purchase the best weapons you can get, when you can, because waiting to wander across better ones isn't as viable. Unlike some games, I haven't yet run into a situation where I've spent all my money to buy the best weapon available only to immediately loot a dozen better ones before I've barely even used it.
2. Maybe I'm missing something but I have no idea what animal whisperer even does. There are random encounters with wild animals as opposed to raiders, but I'm not sure if outsdoorman covers the ability to evade both or if animal whisperer is involved somehow.
3. Those skill-enchancing items seem limited, at least so far. Then again I haven't really advanced the story very much. I don't know how much they can offset skill deficiencies.
4. If an item isn't specifically listed as junk, don't sell it as such. There are certain people interested in certain things and will pay a higher price for them. So, don't flag things that appear to be junk but aren't specifically labeled as such.

Maybe we should start a wasteland 2 thread?

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu May 28, 2015 11:08 am

Does this count as a game project? I've was able to help the creator of this project with some prototypes and test it out myself before the Kickstarter launched. I'm curious to see what you guys think...

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 28, 2015 11:39 am

I backed Bloodstained: Reitual of the Night and Yooka-Laylee recently. Bloodstained was a no-brainer. Yooka-Laylee was tougher because is really smells like a Banjo-Kazooie knock-off (which is to be expected considering the team...), and part of the appeal of mascot platformers, IMO, is the acutal mascots.

But in the end, I had to back both games just to spite Konami and Microsoft, who apparently believe that people don't want these games.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.