Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tribes Ascend console commands

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:23 am

Hey guys,

Been playing Tribes Ascend for 2 days now and i think i will play it a lot in the future. So i'd require a few console commands: for ingame fps counter, fps cap and voice disable.

For the Source engine the commands stay the same for CS:S, TF 2, HL 2 ofc and so on.

I noticed (maybe i'm wrong, i didn't google it) that the game uses a version of the Unreal engine. Since i'm not that familliar with it i'm going to ask for your help.

Shazbot! I really need that fps cap.....vsynch FTL

Edit: after a lil googling i found out that it uses Unreal engine 3 (modified).

Edit 2: found 2 commands
/stat fps (it's the fps ingame counter)
/exit (closes the game from within the game, if you're in a hurry).
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Vivaldi
Gerbil In Training

Re: Tribes Ascend console commands

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:35 am

Hi ArcLight, check out this thread where we have listed our Tribes account names:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79113

Feel free to post your account name and we'll add you.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:55 am

I know it's been a while, but i wanted to dig it up in order to share the solution i found. After numerous patches Hi-Rez have yet to implement a console command for fps cap, but it seems there are 3rd party programs that can do it. I know and have succesfully tested 2 of them: MSI afterburner and nvidia Inspector.

It seems like i was the only one in the dark about this things, but to be frank i expected all games to have ingame cap, probably due to the fact that i mostly played Source based games for the past years. Come to think of it, even Cs 1.6 had that console command......i srsly don't know what's going on with game devs these days.....

Edit
Why hasn't nvidia included this option in the geforce drivers yet? To me it seems pretty desireable for people that dislike vsych due to the input lag it brings.

Edit 2:
I've sent the following message to nvidia, i don't expect much but hey i tried

Customer By Web Form (..............)

08/30/2012 03:59 AM

Hello,

For the last several months i have been playing a first person shooter game called Tribes Ascend. The game runs fine but the card has a lot of overhead and it stresses a lot giving me higher fps than i need (60 fps is all i need since my monitor refresh rate is 60Hz) causing the card to overheat and thus producing noise from the card cooler.

Vsynch is not a solution (even though it caps the frame rates at 60) because of the lag it creates, i don't mind tearing i just need to cap the frames so that the card stays nice a quiet. To my surprise the game has no console command for frames per secound limiter/cap so i was forced to use 3rd party programs like MSI Afterburner.

So my question is, Could the Geforce drivers include in future revisions a frames per secound limiter option where the user can select a certain fps cap for a particular game?

Thank you for your time!

Regards,
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:02 am

although not ideal, you could always underclock your card too.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 am

njenabnit wrote:
although not ideal, you could always underclock your card too.

That is an option also but as the fps limiter from Afterburner works i don't see why i should mess with the GPU and memory clocks.
Though, like i said above, i'd prefer if this could be done from within the geforce drivers so the setting would remain permanent, without having to launch another program.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:30 am

Update

This is the reply i received from nvidia

Discussion Thread

Response Via Email (Josh)
08/30/2012 03:22 PM

Hello ......,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care, Currently we do not have this feature available in our drivers but hope to have something approved and released soon with a driver update in the future.

Josh
NVCC

I'm not holding my breath but who knows....