Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Diablo III

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm scared.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm

I got to level 10 the first night haven't played one second of regular since. Taking your lvl 44 monk in a champ swarm and getting down to ~.10% life is very, very exciting.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

allreadydead
Gerbil

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:29 am

Dunno about US side but the game slowly dying on EU.. Public games are getting harder to find and if you find one, thats prolly one guy with his 254573498573rd alt stuck on double champ and went public :\

Me and my friends are just clearing Act 1 Inferno all over. There is a chance of getting items of good value.. Spending that same amount of time in AH buying/selling is still way more profitable tho :(
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:11 am

I've never played a public game. Always solo or with friends (or solo with friends dropping in). I don't want the possibility of griefers in my game.

Also, finally beat Inferno yesterday with my barbarian. Double Tornado build. Infinite spinning.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah, the game is definitely dying off in the EU, really noticeably (Perhaps the Tour de France, Euro 2012 and Wimbledon have something to do with it).

People have had long enough to realise that the endgame is nowhere near as satisfying as D2. When the honeymoon-effect wears off, the game is much more grinding and farming than D2 ever was, but with nowhere near as much depth or satisfaction due to the absence of many D2 mechanics and the abysmal droprates of set/legendary items.

Superficially D3 was good, but It has none of the depth that will keep people playing like they did D2.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:48 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
I've never played a public game. Always solo or with friends (or solo with friends dropping in). I don't want the possibility of griefers in my game.

That's exactly how I play, too, but now that they made it so you can't skip ahead an act, the friends dropping in randomly doesn't happen as much.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Superficially D3 was good, but It has none of the depth that will keep people playing like they did D2.

I'm not so sure about that, I think they have just about the same amount of depth. The difference is, at least to me, I'm older and really as much as I like D3 isn't not revolutionary.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah, it's definitely a very "safe" game. Didn't stray much from the formula. But that hasn't stopped me from putting 75 hours into it so far (assuming the in-game counter is accurate).

In terms of depth, it's not fair (IMO) to compare it to D2 with the LoD expansion. You need to compare it to vanilla D2. There will be an expansion (if not more) and it will bring new classes and new levels to explore.

My guess is that the overall theme of the expansion(s) is that Imperius didn't actually die, or was restored when Diablo died. Remember, Tyrael had some brethren to join in the final cutscene of the game (according to the narration), so there had to be some angels somewhere. At any rate I think Imperius will vow revenge and wind up aligned with the demos. Common foes result in strange bedfellows. And the lords of hell will be resurrected, or that will be the end aim in an expansion at least.

allreadydead
Gerbil

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

In terms of depth, it's not fair (IMO) to compare it to D2 with the LoD expansion. You need to compare it to vanilla D2. There will be an expansion (if not more) and it will bring new classes and new levels to explore.

I think Chrispy_ was talking about combat mechanics and item generationwise depth. All those mechanics were present in vanilla D2. With LoD they added new ones and polished the older ones. I'm talking about Diablo 2's IAS, FCR, FBR, FHR, Item randomization and Rune system to cover some of the mechanics.
After witnessing the gap between 1.09 and 1.10, I can easily say D3 team is reacting faster. But the reactions are fast because the game's inner mechanics are not deep and complex as previous Diablo game. The impression I had from fixes/patches, the dev team are going more like Trial/Error way. They are experimenting things and that makes me wonder about their grip on the game...
It seems to me, Blizzard made every inner beta tester file their detailed impressions about game and all, got them printed and burned them on xmas BBQ party without reading...
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:16 pm

That's what I meant by "safe" - they didn't stretch the game too much. It's funny to watch all the Demon Hunters crying on the B.net boards with the release of 1.03.

Speaking of which, I would like to say that I don't think DPS is calculating right for dual-wield DH's vs. two-hand crossbow + quiver types. It certainly SEEMS like I drop mobs (and big piles of mobs) faster using a 2H + quiver when my current gear is more or less the same as the DPS on my dual crossbows. I know there are a lot of other factors in play, like enemies resistance to types of damage and whatnot, but I definitely wonder.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm talking about everything; The mechanics, the builds, the gear, the itemisation, the simplification of stats, the much smaller hard caps on things like runspeed, thorns, absorbs, on-hit effects etc. D2's appeal was in the fact there were so many fun ways to make a viable character. Blizzard have basically "fixed" it so that each class has only a very narrow range of choice. The droprates are really lame. The reward for playing D2 was cool new gear to try out gimmick builds, alts, etc. The reward for playing D3 is unexciting junk that you either vend for gold, or list on the AH for gold.

Don't even get me started on gear; Comared to D2 gear, D3 gear is totally devoid of any charisma whatsoever. None of the gear is satisfying, none of the uniques have unique effects. I've already listed just a few things I feel are MISSING from D3 and many of those things are core mechanics that were present in the original D2 before LoD. I'm sure a D3 expansion will add some depth, but fundamentally the oversimplification and lack of variety in gear and viable builds makes D3 a much shallower game with far less long-term appeal.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 am

Farming for new gear to wear does not add depth.

As for D2 and the confined builds, it was not worth the time when I was younger and had more time to go out and replay every character trying to make the strongest build when ever they tweaked the system. Did I play it a lot, I think so but I didn't make multi level 90+ characters. It just wasn't that compelling to grind away to do it. Nor was it fun to keep replaying Act4/5 in Hell to see if I'd get that next part of the set item or whatever I was looking for.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:30 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Speaking of which, I would like to say that I don't think DPS is calculating right for dual-wield DH's vs. two-hand crossbow + quiver types. It certainly SEEMS like I drop mobs (and big piles of mobs) faster using a 2H + quiver when my current gear is more or less the same as the DPS on my dual crossbows. I know there are a lot of other factors in play, like enemies resistance to types of damage and whatnot, but I definitely wonder.

If all else is the same, build and gear, it comes down to the weapon. Part of it has to do with the tighter/ smaller damage range on the 2H Xbow. You see stats like 190-230 or smaller. Whereas with 1H the range is much much greater, 90-200. Then you have to factor in OH with the same range.

However, I also feel something is missing with Dual wield. I do know (or at least some forum posters have pointed out) some modifiers to crit, damage, etc only extend to MH and never to OH on both the Monk and DH.

I realize DIII is a hack and slash game but part of me wants to theory craft it for min/ max builds. Dare I say I would like to have a ......combat log.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:33 am

Combat log would be helpful.

The reason I don't think DW damage is right is that both of my 1H weapons have a fire rate of 1.6 per second. That means I should be firing more than 3 times per second, or the damage from the two should be combined. And I'm not firing any faster with 2 than I am with just one of those. I think even with 2 in hand I'm still firing at 1.6.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:48 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
..... the damage from the two should be combined.

Everyone is saying that this isnt happening. The forum theory crafters are saying that damage is calculated for each hand, separately.

I have tried both DW and 1h on my DH and without understanding what is going on I notice that I do more damage with 1H than DW. /shrug WoW has spoiled me with the ability to theory craft and min/max.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:13 am

I'm passing 200hrs in:

-The RMAH has slowed to a crawl, only best-of-the-best items are selling, but EVERYONE has EVERYTHING up on there, for way too much
-Gold AH has polarized. Either something costs 100k gold (which is nothing) or 20million+ (a lot) or 1 billion (stupid high).
-Farming Act 1+2 Inferno is still better than farming 3 or 4, even if you can clear 3 or 4 with no deaths (I'm currently farming act 2, with 3-5 deaths per hour)
-There are "interesting" specs, but they are based around stacking "boring" specs, and for them to be viable, you need a piece with a specific stat for nearly EVERY slot, not just one unique item (ala D2). For example, there is a viable melee spec for wizards, but you need a certain amount of block % (a good shield + helm of command ), a certain amount of life on hit (A high end amulet + weapon with 500+ LoH ), and a certain amount of increased attack speed (amulet, both rings, gloves, and at least one unique that has AIS on a slot that can't normally get it)
-The game is soulless, can't describe exactly what...but here are few things:
--Chests aren't effected by magic find...so they are always disappointing.
--Many of the "events" have a chest or named "boss" at their finish, many of these bosses have been flagged as "exploitable" so their loot has been all but removed (several only drop gold) so WHY BOTHER with them.
--Even getting loot, such as a ilvl63 weapon with 500dps base, 99% of the time it will have trash modifiers, and will end up at 600-700dps...which at the inferno level is vendor-trash.
--Having to sit through the storyline is annoying while farming. I wouldn't harp on this so much if Blizz hadn't made such a big deal about how "good" it was supposed to be. IT ISN'T, LET ME TURN IT OFF, LET ME FARM ANY ACT, ANY BOSS, ANY SECTION, without jumping through hoops.
-PvP still isn't here
--Public Games / Playing with friends is still a disappointment. My RL brother and I farm solo in our own games, we get decent loot, sometimes upgrades (it's rare). We farm together, we both get trash. We both have very decent magic find (me 150% without neph stacks, him 180% without stacks), yet loot has been consistently worse when we farm together.
--I'd move on to harder content, but with repair fees being so high, if I have ONE tough pack of elites that I need to die and retry over/over, I'm 50-100k in the hole...and no guarantee I get the mob down. (this is part me bitching honestly, but I don't see a good reason for the high costs, "dedicated" players will just farm up the gold, but casuals will just quit, the end result of both is LESS FUN)
--Let me re-iterate, most of the time, THE GAME IS NOT FUN.

On the flipside, I've hit about $150 profit on the RMAH...but who cares, I'd rather have a long-lived, fun Diablo game.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 am

I am going to have to agree with all the points you made but one point in particular just pisses me off:

lilbuddhaman wrote:
-Gold AH has polarized. Either something costs 100k gold (which is nothing) or 20million+ (a lot) or 1 billion (stupid high).

The problem here is that people dont know how to price an item relative to its stats. A rare drops and it has:

34 STR
139 Dex
64 VIT
9% Magic Find
with a level of 42

People will place that at probably 20-30k thinking it good for a Monk of DH, it is but NOT that good. This is a leveling piece and shouldn't go for anything more than 10K and more than likely less!

Also if you spend hours just searching you can find some really under-priced gems, but like I said it takes hours to find those. Sometimes you get lucky.

The other problem is people dont put up Buyout's for leveling gear, gear thats level 10-55. Stuff that will be replaced often and frequently. People who dont post buyouts are wasting their time and AH space. The player wont bid on an item if they are just going to out level it in a couple of hours anyways. This is why I believe that there needs to be an up front penalty for posting an item. Too much of it is just junk.

Too many times have I come across something that I really wanted but two things have held me back 1) It was obscenely overpriced or 2) there was no buy out.

My last gripe is that DIII is too random. Im all for RNG but give me something I can control. Neph stacks was suppose to do this but it still fails. Sure I am guaranteed a number of rare drops but that doesn't men the stats on said drops are a) Useful for my class or b) useful at all or for any class. If Blizzard wants to keep the drops the same that's fine but then lets use the Blacksmith for creating Items that are useful. Take some, not all, of the the RNG out of the Blacksmith.

I would suggest that the Blacksmith can create level items that have standard Str, Dex, Int, Vit with the magic properties being random. Not all of it random. You still have to farm mats and unlocked or get patterns.

Speaking of patterns I have two level 60's, Monk and DH. I farm Acts 1, 2, and 3 pretty regularly and I still havent seen a pattern drop. Talk about RNG. /Sheesh
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 am

I agree Tanker, which is why I post my levelling rares with buyouts. They almost always sell. Some of the prices you see are just moonbat crazy.

And yeah, it is not cute to get a wizard piece with +90 STR. Blacksmith, even since it has been made cheaper, is almost useless compared to gold AH.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Combat log would be helpful.

The reason I don't think DW damage is right is that both of my 1H weapons have a fire rate of 1.6 per second. That means I should be firing more than 3 times per second, or the damage from the two should be combined. And I'm not firing any faster with 2 than I am with just one of those. I think even with 2 in hand I'm still firing at 1.6.

Dual wielding is done by alternating the weapons with each hand using the cooldown time for each. Then you increase the overall attack speed by 15%.

Therefore, if you had two 1.0 APS weapons and are dual-wielding, then your overall attack speed is 1.15 APS.

What this means is your DPS can actually be lower if your weapons differ in DPS by too much (about 22% IIRC).

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am

Every single thing in the GAH should require a buyout. 2 days is too long to wait for something if you actually play the game. I think the auctions are shorter now, but that's just dumb.

I've agreed with most everything Tanker has said about this game. Those leveling items really need to be cheaper. This is pretty important to me too since I play HC and when I die (unless I have stacked gear from every class in my stashes) I don't normally have decent stuff for every leveling range.

"Hey, buy my magic dagger that has 24 S, 41 D, 42 V, +2life after each kill for 23K." No, sir, I don't think I will. BAH!

I seriously can't understand playing regular and not HC. Where is the thrill?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
Dual wielding is done by alternating the weapons with each hand using the cooldown time for each. Then you increase the overall attack speed by 15%.

Therefore, if you had two 1.0 APS weapons and are dual-wielding, then your overall attack speed is 1.15 APS.

What this means is your DPS can actually be lower if your weapons differ in DPS by too much (about 22% IIRC).

So if I can find a quiver with a 15% IAS boost and the stats I like, I'm probably better off with it.

Do all the DW classes work like that? Is that why I currently hate my monk? Seems like it takes forever for him to beat someone up even with what appears to be decent DPS (4.5k at level 54).

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:27 pm

That's how dual wielding in general works yes.

However, you need to keep in mind how you can have more stats dual-wielding. For example, 930 is the highest LOH can be for a single weapon for instance (I hear monks need a lot of that like the barbs do). With two, it stacks into 1860 which is monstrous.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm

LOH on barbarians can be very powerful. I played with a barbarian player who had enough LOH to straight up tank Diablo. He just stood next to Diablo the entire time whacking him. I never saw him drop below 90% health even during the fire/lightning channeled attack.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

donna25
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:49 am

I tried many online games,Diablo III is the most exciting and amazing game, it really does a great job, though a light slow in downloading but worth waiting for.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:16 am

So to put things in another way, they basically analyzed the formula for a good game and distilled it down to its most basic pieces and formula, then assembled it into a frankenstein bastardization that lacks the creativity and ingenuity that defines all good works as being created by humans? Souless...

It's sort of weird how this works. We had a mini-lan a few weeks ago and one of my friends had bought Diablo 3 even though no one else did and we pretty much had to beg him to play a game. He almost seemed hostile at the idea of doing it and as best he described it was a complete let down and so different from what he imagined he almost loathed it. Long story short, he couldn't play because he was at a different location and it made him answer his secret question, the answer of which he forgot and couldn't change online without calling tech support.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
However, you need to keep in mind how you can have more stats dual-wielding. For example, 930 is the highest LOH can be for a single weapon for instance (I hear monks need a lot of that like the barbs do). With two, it stacks into 1860 which is monstrous.

Yeah LoH is a monks bread and butter. I have one 930 LoH weapon and I am searching for a second.

So yesterday, I farmed act IV/ Hell (on my Monk), I did notice an improved drop rate with 5 stacks of Neph. By the time I cleared to half way to the Crystal Arch I had to go back and sort my bag full of Rares and Magic items. Also I dont carry a MF set with me so I was utilizing the MF on the Neph stacks. However, as much as I enjoyed the drops rates it still didnt amount to much as most of it was junk. I think that I may have gotten 2 Rares and 2 Magic items that were worth reselling and/ or equipping. :/ (I was farming for my new level 60 DH)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:13 am

Diablo III is fun for a couple of play throughs. No AH needed for first play though, by the second it was either farm for better weapons / armour or buy them in the AH as all the merchants are rip off compared to AH.

IMO the game is imbalanced, the AH needs different rooms 1 hour sell, 3 hours, 6 hours and 2 days. The amount of loot that I just trash because it's not worth putting up for 18 hours is crazy. Also AH is rigged to give the buy all the power. Since everything is up for so long right now.

Once you go into farming mode in the game, looking for the next big item for your character is becomes boring. As for the story, its good enough for a couple of play through, I'm on Act II of Hell and getting to the point where I need to upgrade all my items again.

The game lacks play styles if you play a Wizard then you pretty soon learn the best way to take down a mob, but there's only one good way to do it.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 am

Pax-UX wrote:
The game lacks play styles if you play a Wizard then you pretty soon learn the best way to take down a mob, but there's only one good way to do it.

What is your way? I have a 46 Wizard and I figure I'm probably doing it wrong.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Pax-UX wrote:

What is your way? I have a 46 Wizard and I figure I'm probably doing it wrong.

In inferno, there are a few viable options, but they usually revolve around some combination of Blizzard, Hydra, and Arcane Orb. If you're geared you can do a melee build, but you're talking 10mil+ for each slot. The "best way" of taking down a mob is usually "kiting like a scared bitch for 2-5minutes"
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 am

lilbuddhaman wrote:
In inferno, there are a few viable options, but they usually revolve around some combination of Blizzard, Hydra, and Arcane Orb. If you're geared you can do a melee build, but you're talking 10mil+ for each slot. The "best way" of taking down a mob is usually "kiting like a scared bitch for 2-5minutes"

Not surprisingly, my wizard probably won't make Inferno. That sounds like a complete lack of fun to me.