Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Diablo III

Thu May 24, 2012 7:43 am

What is with the Auction House not working since yesterday? Was there an announcement I missed?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 24, 2012 7:48 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
What is with the Auction House not working since yesterday? Was there an announcement I missed?

There was a message yesterday stating that they were working on it, But I was able to use it yesterday (last night) just fine. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 am

So, without reading all eight pages of posts, it feels like Diablo III is superficially fun for a while, but then ruined by the Auction House.

Am I missing something or are Blizzard's plans for the economy ALL KINDS OF WRONG?
Items and gold are coming into the economy at an incredible rate, but apart from the 15% AH cut, there's no reason for genuinely good items to ever be destroyed. This has already lead to ridiculous devaluation of all the weapons, armour and materials on the Auction House. I can buy weapon or armour that is all but guaranteed to be a huge upgrade for less than the crafting costs at the moment. If I craft with my hard-earned gold and materials from salvaging blues instead, I'll get another 2H bow with Strength, another wizard wand with dexterity or another barbarian belt with intellect.

Other things Diablo II had that I miss in Diablo III:

• Campaign length (feels smaller than Diablo II even without LOD expansion)
  • Horadric cube recipes
  • Runes and runewords for sockets
  • The ablilty to socket items
  • LAN play (EU servers have been down or flaky for much of the weekend/evening playtime since launch)
  • Act V - I read somewhere (I can't find it now) that Blizzard won't be making any DLC or expansion for Diablo III
  • Secret Cow Level
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Other things Diablo II had that I miss in Diablo III:

• Secret Cow Level

What, is Whimsyshire not good enough for you?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 am

I don't see how the AH breaks the game. It didn't break WoW. The economy just hasn't matured yet. I'm just not going to use it for a while. Might pick up a nice cheap rare item if such a thing is available and my dude would benefit. If you don't like it, just don't use it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2012 12:20 pm

thill9 wrote:
What, is Whimsyshire not good enough for you?

No :)
You need 150,000 gold and several rare spawns/drops just to make the normal version of the staff.

The secret cow level was a reward for finishing a difficulty level.
Getting to Whimsyshire is a grind that (after hours or days of effort) doesn't even have a boss to loot :(
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Thu May 24, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 24, 2012 12:27 pm

I haven't even looked at the AH yet, I should check it out tonight it would help me get through act 2 quicker now that I have to replay part.

So is it possible to transfer items between your own Characters or do you need to use someone else to do the transfers like in D2?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 pm

tfp wrote:
So is it possible to transfer items between your own Characters or do you need to use someone else to do the transfers like in D2?

Your characters share the stash.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The economy just hasn't matured yet.

Help me understand how it will mature!
Am I missing some obvious mechanic?

1. Items are never destroyed so the number of good items on the AH will grow as people keep playing.
  2. As more and more 'good' items are crafted/dropped by mobs the supply of available items on the AH increases
  3. As people level, they need gear upgrades less frequently and the demand for good items goes down.
  4. The value of items falls as mandated by the economics of (2.) supply and (3.) demand.
  5. You have massive economic deflation.

Even with abysmal salvage-to-crafting ratios and a 15% gold penalty on every auction, my basic grasp of economics says that this system cannot work and will only get worse.
Empirical data suggests that I am right because we're already at a point in the economy where:

• Hours of work collecting gems and crafting the upgrades is negated by picking up a perfect quality gem for as little as 80 gold, which is about ten seconds of work at most.
  • I can buy HUNDREDS of upgrades compared to world drops at my level for every item slot for less than the crafting cost alone
...and more players means more items going into the economy with no good reasons to remove them from the economy. We have a positive feedback loop which is so far out of control it cannot go back.

Please explain to me how ANY economy that's injecting the economy (like D3's gold/item drops) can avoid deflation!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu May 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Chrispy's logic seems bulletproof to me. I am buying gold items for my characters as low as 250g.

I guess I am happy they are that cheap :p

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
[*]The value of items falls as mandated by the economics of (2.) supply and (3.) demand.
[*]You have massive economic deflation.[/list]

While what you say is sound and true in the real world it doesnt hold true in the virtual. You may flood the market with with +50 whatever legendary but if everyone and their brother wants one the price will stay constant. And that constant will be what the masses are willing to pay.

For instance since this is Blizzard lets take the AH in World of Warcraft as an example. People 'play' the AH all the time. Most of the time when someone floods the market with underpriced goods someone will snap them up en mass and usually repost at a higher price. Thus righting the market.

Also you are only seeing a portion of the Auction House when the RMAH is released then we will see things differently.

And lastly stats, level, and the amount of stats on an item are RNG and are placed on the item on drop (or pick up or when the zone with the mob is made, I forget which one). So while you may see 50 Legendary [OMGWTFBBQPWN Belt of the Badger] they will rarely have all the same stats and level. So again the masses will only buy what they perceive is the best item for them. Just look at the AH right now you can see this, there are tons of things listed that just have one or two stats that nobody wants which after a couple of listings will ultimately get destroyed or vendored.

The only problem I have right now is that people dont know how to value items. They are listing level 10 Legendaries with 3 stats as 1,999,999,999 when there are level 60 Legendaries with 5 stats that go for 200-400K. Or when even some fool who lists a level 10 rare for 50k. NinjaEdit: And this is probably because they dont understand how RNG works and how item stats are generated.

If you look well you can outfit your level 10 in complete Rares for under 30K.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 24, 2012 4:57 pm

only being able to list 10 items at a time will stop item spam a bit, but you are right the market will increasingly get flooded with higher end gear. I think that bind on equip wouldn't be such a bad idea for the best of the best items. I think they wanted to avoid copying WoWs item system, but really the game would be better if there was a higher tier of items available. i.e. wow had epics and legendaries. there is nothing legendary about the legendaries in d3, they're mediocre at best.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

blitzy wrote:
..... but really the game would be better if there was a higher tier of items available. i.e. wow had epics and legendaries.

Diablo does and its the set pieces. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blac ... /#type=set Which are crafted but the recipes are drops.

blitzy wrote:
there is nothing legendary about the legendaries in d3, they're mediocre at best.

Thats because of the RNG, I have a couble of Legendaries that are epic one for a monk and one for the BARB, both have stats like +109 STR and +112 Dex. The monk belt with the Dex also has spirit regen on it, +98 Vitality, chance on hit to blind, and All damage 24-36. Thats a +5 Legendary thats is awesome.

I cannot stress enough that RNG seperates a lot.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 pm

the thing is people seem to prefer easily being able to see the level of a players gear, it's like in WoW when purples were the best items around and they weren't given out like candy. You could tell immediately just from the color that it was decent gear. In d3 you could be using yellows or blues that can be better than the legendary or set pieces.. which really doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 24, 2012 10:35 pm

tfp wrote:
You know because I joined the game and it was act1 I think I lost my act2 progress....

Solution: From the menu where you choose which hero to use, click the "Change Quest" button and then change to desired difficulty and quest. It will only allow you to choose quests you've completed afaik (I'm only lvl 59 though).

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 24, 2012 10:41 pm

I made it to level 25 or so before even visiting the AH. I spent like $3k max on each upgrade and now I feel like I'm invincible! It kinda ruined it for me. I'm still only on normal mode and I do understand that it's not supposed to be difficult, but man, they made it WAAAAY to easy and the economy is all screwed up. I wish I didn't spend any gold on leveling BSing my first 25 levels...
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 am

Jason181 wrote:
tfp wrote:
You know because I joined the game and it was act1 I think I lost my act2 progress....

Solution: From the menu where you choose which hero to use, click the "Change Quest" button and then change to desired difficulty and quest. It will only allow you to choose quests you've completed afaik (I'm only lvl 59 though).

Thank you!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon May 28, 2012 9:55 am

Dumb question here...when they say commodity auctions are disabled, do they mean gems? I can't seem to find any gem auctions.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Dumb question here...when they say commodity auctions are disabled, do they mean gems? I can't seem to find any gem auctions.

That and other crafting supplies.

They all seem to be back up today, though I can't find anything actually for sale.

Finished the game last night, ready to dive in on the next difficulty (nightmare?). Pretty fun game. I love the drop-in, drop-out multiplayer. When I finished it, a friend of mine had just hopped in and we were both around level 31.

The scoundrel is a great follower for my monk, though I'm disappointed he goes back to camp when a friend drops in. He's got pretty good DPS and I can just tank along with my summoned water dude.

And I also found out you can bind any skill to any hotkey or either left/right mouse button if you enable some checkbox in the Gameplay menu. I forget the name of it now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Elective mode - bread and butter if you are a wizard ;)

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 28, 2012 7:58 pm

I know I'm quite away behind everyone else but Act 3 in D3 is so much better than Act 3 in D2.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 28, 2012 8:07 pm

tfp wrote:
I know I'm quite away behind everyone else but Act 3 in D3 is so much better than Act 3 in D2.

Yes, yes it is. By a long shot. After finishing the campaign I can say there's nothing like D2's Act 3.

And yeah, Elective Mode, that's what it's called. Allows for a ton of customization.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The scoundrel is a great follower for my monk

Personally I like the Enchantress because of the polymorph (nothing like seeing 10 mobs get turned into chickens!) and the Templar for Bosses for the extra heals.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm

If any TR regulars are looking for people to play co-op with, shoot me a PM. I bit the bullet and bought a copy last night and leveling alone isn't much fun.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Sure wish I could play the game I paid for....

metalhead
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Me too, my psu just died so im surfing the net on the PS3 woohoo! I did get to play for a little bit after the servers came back up the second time at least. I'm really liking the monk, currently on nightmare act 1 and so far so good. He's a scrapper thats for sure.

*edit to add I have one trial key available if anyone wants to check it out shoot me a pm

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 am

Finally made it through normal with my monk. Good game all around. I can see where they can make an expansion but it will be one act like LOD and really this should be the end of the franchise at least for this time period and game type.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 pm

The reliance on flaky servers is ruining this otherwise excellent game;

• I had three friends over a couple of weekends ago for a long-planned D3 LAN and we spent most of it watching movies and waiting for the servers to come up.
  • This last week has been massively laggy and unstable, cancelling our four-man group for the only three hour slot we are all online together for another week.
  • 1AM CET maintenance is starting at midnight, meaning that servers are down at 11pm for anyone West of that. If anyone has kids, that's basically PEAK TIME for D3 playing.
  • I started a hardcore character with one of the guys last night until all four of us can get together again. We were both kicked off the server for no real reason (our connection wasn't the culprit because we were uninterrupted over voicecomms). We both logged back in immediately without issue to find both characters dead after three hours of playing.
It is utterly infuriating. He punched his keyboard and broke it, I'm slightly less ill-tempered about games that abuse players (but only slightly, hence this rant).
Unfortunately, Blizzard know how to get people addicted and we all signed up for the sh*t they pulled with DRM and online-requirements voluntarily because we're stupid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:09 am

So Inferno as a melee just plain sucks.

Someone tell me which ranged class is good. I have rolled all three (WH, Wiz, WD) and have yet to reach level 20. They are boring to me. Well the WD is fun in a effed up way. I mean you can go wrong using a main attack that throws glass jars full of spiders at mobs right?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 am

I enjoy the demon hunter but mine is only level 19. With rapid fire, you can mow down rows of mobs with ease. You need +hatred to really make it shine, but you can take the talent that health orbs add back hatred.

I found the wizard slow going so far. Level 21. The wizard looks like it has a lot of options later on, though.