Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Diablo III

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Yeah, the name is...peculiar. I think it refers to these, like they're carvings that came to life.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:21 pm

I just played for about 90 minutes or so and I can only describe it as "broken".

I've got a seasonal Crusader that I just hit 70 with and with the 100% exp/gold find this weekend I gained a few paragon levels grinding out T1-level bounties in Act 1 trying to get an RRoG. I got TWO Goblin portals in the same bounty run. One in Aranae's caverns and another on level 2 of the Halls of Agony. Together I got about 25M gold (these made up my 2nd and 3rd Goblin portals in the history of ever, the first one with my T6 pet WD, which netted me 95M). So after getting TWO ultra-rare portals (and zero RRoGs), I ran a couple standard T1 rifts with this character and got this room with like 10-12 treasure goblins. I wasn't quite strong/fast enough to kill them all, but I netted like 7 kills.

It was.......a very profitable evening, I guess. I don't have enough gems to spend all the gold, but I've got all flawless Imperials in my chest/pants now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just played for about 90 minutes or so and I can only describe it as "broken".

I've got a seasonal Crusader that I just hit 70 with and with the 100% exp/gold find this weekend I gained a few paragon levels grinding out T1-level bounties in Act 1 trying to get an RRoG. I got TWO Goblin portals in the same bounty run. One in Aranae's caverns and another on level 2 of the Halls of Agony. Together I got about 25M gold (these made up my 2nd and 3rd Goblin portals in the history of ever, the first one with my T6 pet WD, which netted me 95M). So after getting TWO ultra-rare portals (and zero RRoGs), I ran a couple standard T1 rifts with this character and got this room with like 10-12 treasure goblins. I wasn't quite strong/fast enough to kill them all, but I netted like 7 kills.

It was.......a very profitable evening, I guess. I don't have enough gems to spend all the gold, but I've got all flawless Imperials in my chest/pants now.

I might have to check things out then. Since the last major patch hit, I've only found one treasure portal and no royal rings at all.

SonicSilicon
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:34 pm

We recently got a PS3 and haven't touched the PC version of D3 in over a year (no RoS expansion.) I've been contemplating getting a copy of the Ultimate Evil Edition, especially since it has offline single-system co-op, but I was left with a question after reading up that patch 2.0.6 is effectively the last content update for that console version. Would we really miss the new system that 2.1 brought? I've skimmed through the thread, but I don't feel I really gleaned a perspective to base a decision on.

We never cared about Ladder placement, and ladder-only drops were not something we really aimed for.
Overly twisting maps were usually enjoyed the least in Diablo 2, The Sewers being an example. I'd wager that Cesspools are not much different from what I've read.
Rune words in Diablo 2 were fairly nice, but the ones added later tended to be significantly more desireable. Is this comparable to the update between Gems and Legendary Gems?
While repeating content can get boring, we tended to overlook it in D2 when we were having fun running as a group. Does anyone have any comments on the older system feeling more stale than 2.1 onward?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:11 pm

There's some really fun stuff in 2.1. The old consoles are the only ones not getting updates; if you have a PS4 or Xbone, you'll get 2.1.x.

The content isn't really why you want 2.1, though - some of the fixes are what you really need. Particularly for classes with pets, pet damage and pet toughness got revamped in 2.1.1 and it made them more viable without breaking other builds.

Evaders99
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:47 pm

The 3 new legendary gems in PTR seem all defensive and lackluster. So no, don't expect them to replace your offensive gems anytime soon.
From PTR notes: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/1680265 ... -12-8-2014
2.1 just adds more to grind for really once you've already gotten your class legendary sets. The legendary gems will take you up another Torment level easily.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 am

Although there are a few things in seasons that are worth it. Kremlins are decent not to mention the wether walker wand for wizards... I will never ever do another bounty run without my walker, split farming with wiz and walkers are just best until you get killing bounties.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks to someone somehow misunderstanding my request for the expansion to Diablo 3, I now have a CD key for the original base game that I have no use for. First person whose name I recognize can lay claim to it!

MODS: If this is an inappropriate forum for a give-away, feel free to move it. I'm not asking for anything monetary so I thought this venue would be ok.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:41 pm

I'll take it off your hands, if you are offering. :D

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:45 pm

PM sent!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Whoop!

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

Don't know about most of you but warlords has almost killed my clan off. Nice thing about D3 though is the guild can do just fine with the 4-5 active members we have atm. The latest patch has given me a small idea how many people are going to be coming back for the next season but I can tell its no where near the start of the last season. If anyone here at TR is looking for a group to level with in the new season send me a PM with your gID. We are just a small group of laid-back IT geeks and I'm sure most people here would fit right in.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:22 am

Patch 2.3 is coming with a new area and the Horadric cube. I'm looking forward to this.

Got bored after my seasonal got to paragon 108...need new content. :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:35 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Patch 2.3 is coming with a new area and the Horadric cube. I'm looking forward to this.

Got bored after my seasonal got to paragon 108...need new content. :)

I probably would have given up even before that, but I got some insanely lucky drops with my seasonal monk. Flying Dragon, Spirit Guards, and 3 pieces of the Thousand Storms set all before Paragon 50. By level 100 I had 5 pieces of the set and Depth Diggers to go with it. That was enough to climb the ladder, but I have more fun with Inna/Sunwuko on my regular monk. Still, I'm ready for the season to be over and the new content to come.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Yeah I wish they would just tell us the seasonal end date. My seasonal is sitting on some set items the main needs and will also contribute ~50 levels.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 pm

I just read up on Kanai's Cube and, quite frankly, at first I was afraid that it would be yet another D2 reenactment. I'm relieved to know that it does something completely different and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 pm

The cube is gonna be sweet. I played some on the PTR and was super sad because I kept getting disconnected before I could finish a set of bounties and get the crafting mats required. Get to 3rd bounty and auto disconnect every time. :roll:

My wife and I are running keywardens and ubers to make hellfire amulets. I've got a bunch of immunity amulets (countess Julia, Mara's Kaleidoscope, etc) that I intend to use in the cube for my jewelry slot, and then replace all those with Hellfires. Doing it with another person cuts the keywarden grinding in half since only one person has to use their machine; doing it with a group of 4 would be ideal but I don't know enough people that play in the endgame. :-?

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Well if you didn't log off 10 minutes before I log on once every few months you'd have a third!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:25 am

Season 3 ending soon announcement has arrived. Looking forward to combining my paragon levels and the new patch!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 am

Really stoked about the Kanai Cube and all the weird stuff it'll do. Re-rolling a legendary and keeping the orange stat from certain items that roll poorly will make for tons of fun. Since the season is ending the 23rd and they need to get S4 stuff into the game by the 28th, I'm expecting it on Tuesday 8/25.

This has been the PC game to get most of my time since RoS came out last March and the continued extra content has given it incredibly long legs for me.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:36 am

Yay, I put the game down again a couple of months ago but S4 will probably hold my attention for another quarter.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Path of Exile has been my life for the past couple of years. I have, according to Steam 1,464 hours in it. However, it has utterly been destroyed by the latest expansion and I have cut off playing it cold turkey, never to return. I have thought about starting Diablo 3. Is there anyone here that has played both PoE and D3 and can compare them both? I'm interested in learning about the game prior to investing money into it. I ask because it seems that quite a few PoE players compare that experience with D3 and if its just going to piss me off like PoE did, then I would hate to spend a bunch of money on it first.
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:16 pm

Never played PoE, but I might be able to explain some of their frustrations with D3. Pre-2.0, Diablo 3 was kind of a turd. Drops were 100% random - there was no bias towards the class you were playing as, and no bias towards a class-specific item actually having stats that benefited that class. I mean, seriously, you'd get bows for Dex-based characters that had a primary stat of +Int. It was ridiculous. Sell your junk and then buy from the auction house. That wasn't much fun, honestly. I got a couple toons up to 60 and quit.

The demo of the last-gen console version (which I never bought) showed some promise. No AH, and items were biased towards your class and biased towards having useful stats. So when patch 2.0 closed down the AH and fixed loot drops, I tried it out adn got hooked. When Reaper of Souls came out last March, I bought two copies and we play together now. The post-game has a lot of grind and not a lot of focus outside of online leaderboards, but the core mechanic of killing stuff, looting stuff, and then crafting stuff is fun. You can play it in bite-sized chunks. I regularly hop on for a rift or two, blow 15-20 minutes in the game, and then do something else. It's very playable solo, but it's also super fun when you can get a couple people to join you.

If the complaints I had have nothing to do with PoE, then I apologize, but that's what I found to be totally broken in the base game.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:17 pm

I played both and found Path of Exile entirely insufferable, so I can't give you a proper comparison.

I will say to you however, that Diablo III ramps up relatively slowly, gives plenty of tutorials, has great skill variety without juggling stupid skill gems in your gear, and you can try it free of charge up to level 20 if I remember correctly.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:21 pm

So how are things going in D3 land?

I think a friend of mine and I are going to find the next RoS sale and jump back into it a little. I haven't played in a while though, since before RMAH was gone and D3 was a **** show.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:43 pm

I bought RoS at Easter having dropped it in disgust because of the endgame RMAH and farming curve once I'd "completed" it on Inferno a few months later.

RoS is the game D3 should have been all along. It's simple, it's streamlined, the loot is plentiful enough that you can experiment with multiple builds based on full sets, partial sets, interesting one-off items and yet still rare enough that you keep playing for more drops. The greater rift system is way better than the story mode as endgame content too, and once you get bored of it, there's seasonal leaderboards with brand new stuff in them to give you occasional incentive to pick it up and go mad for another month or so.

It's a great game that I can spend days on, or put down and ignore for a fortnight. Would recommend A+ 10/10 etc if you enjoyed D2:LoD
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:32 am

ron_paul_its_happening.gif

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am

Shinare wrote:
Path of Exile has been my life for the past couple of years. I have, according to Steam 1,464 hours in it. However, it has utterly been destroyed by the latest expansion and I have cut off playing it cold turkey, never to return. I have thought about starting Diablo 3. Is there anyone here that has played both PoE and D3 and can compare them both? I'm interested in learning about the game prior to investing money into it. I ask because it seems that quite a few PoE players compare that experience with D3 and if its just going to piss me off like PoE did, then I would hate to spend a bunch of money on it first.

Well... I'll just say that if what you enjoy the most with PoE is theorycrafting and tweaking a build endlessly then chances are you will not find D3 interesting. Instead, if what you want is combat that feels meaty, abilities and movement that are satisfying, fast pacing, and a straightforward loot system... D3 is it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:41 pm

(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:08 am

slowriot wrote:
Shinare wrote:

Well... I'll just say that if what you enjoy the most with PoE is theorycrafting and tweaking a build endlessly then chances are you will not find D3 interesting. Instead, if what you want is combat that feels meaty, abilities and movement that are satisfying, fast pacing, and a straightforward loot system... D3 is it.

This.

PoE is a long-term investment. It's only satisfying if you have the time to invest in it, but the reward is greater.
D3 on the other hand is instant gratification. So instant. So gratifying. The only downside is that once you've maxed out everything and played with all the builds you are interested in, there's nothing other than the grind of leaderboards, so after a couple of hundred hours you'll be 100% done with a character and have explored all the possible options. In saying that, there are six characters to play....