Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

xbox... WHY!

Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm here to pose two largely infuriating questions. WHY doesn't the 360 have a formal recall at this point. Even the slim is a reck mine crashed twice at the last lan party. The regular 360 had a near 100 percent failure rate inside 3 years. Still confused as to why making a good piece of kit is so impossible for them... 2 consoles and several revisions in. Why does the press declare time and time again that xbox live is the best thing since sliced bread. I might be alone in thinking this but I found it to be the worst online experience I've ever had and payed for the pleasure of it too :evil: . Ok rage rant over. :oops: :x

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Re: xbox... WHY!

Fri May 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Hey, at least they pay to ship it back to them for repairs. Could be worse.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Because stuff is made as cheaply as possible these days. Nothing is designed to last for a long time. Even my launch PS3 gave up the ghost last summer. :(

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 05, 2012 2:54 pm

My 2 launch xboxes are still humming along great, and the third "launch" slim that I have is also been great. Make sure you have proper ventilation and also make sure its not your power brick fluctuating power.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Sat May 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Agreed on the ventilation suggestion. I have the first HDMI 360 and after over 3 years it's running just fine. No issues at all.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 05, 2012 6:02 pm

More anecdotes! I know eight people with 360s at least three years old, and the only one to break had a Jack and coke spilled on it.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 05, 2012 6:07 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I'm here to pose two largely infuriating questions. WHY doesn't the 360 have a formal recall at this point. Even the slim is a reck mine crashed twice at the last lan party. The regular 360 had a near 100 percent failure rate inside 3 years. Still confused as to why making a good piece of kit is so impossible for them... 2 consoles and several revisions in. Why does the press declare time and time again that xbox live is the best thing since sliced bread. I might be alone in thinking this but I found it to be the worst online experience I've ever had and payed for the pleasure of it too :evil: . Ok rage rant over. :oops: :x

All of the XBoxes I've purchased (for me and for other people) still work perfectly, including the first year model, even after a "certain" software mods (some were banned from XBox Live, but that's my own fault). Stuff breaks, pure and simple, that's why there's warranty for it. There is NO "near 100 percent failure rate" - provide official statistics if you think there is, or take that trolling garbage to PS3 forums or somewhere else where people like you might care :roll:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Because the technology they're using is so old and outdated no one makes it anymore, like DDR and SDRAM. This results in them having to find ultra cheap contractors that still make the stuff. :D

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 05, 2012 10:00 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
and the only one to break had a Jack and coke spilled on it.

That's how I want to go. Preferably with that Jack and coke spilling off a stripper's tits.

AbRASiON

Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm

I just sold mine - I had an Elite from when Forza 3 came out, they were 3 or 4 die shrinks in at that point.
I swear I do not lie when I say I only used that DVD tray 6 or 7 times and when I sold it the tray was stuck and I had to paperclip it.
Damn glad I tested it before giving it to the guy on ebay and glad it kept working after paperclipping

None the less, tray wouldn't open after being used 6 or 7 times,......................................... and the drive itself was barely used (I copied things to the HDD when MS allowed that)

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 06, 2012 12:58 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

lex-ington

Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 am

Those are parts of the reasons I don't let my son play the 4GB model he got as a gift

1. If I have to provide special ventilation when the PS3 and Wii are working just fine in the entertainment unit I have, then the Xbox goes no where. I m not messing up my unit so the stupid power brick won't overheat and die. That is retarded design flaw.

2. I am guessing that the whole Xbox Live thing is really just for playing against people online,and that's out. And I am most definitely NOT paying a monthly fee for something no one is using.

I could go on, but I think those are the relevant points the OP is making.

I expect electronics to die in a certain time frame, but I don't expect to have to alter things I already have set up in order to make space for someone else's poor execution.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Corrado

Sun May 06, 2012 8:06 am

lex-ington wrote:
Those are parts of the reasons I don't let my son play the 4GB model he got as a gift

1. If I have to provide special ventilation when the PS3 and Wii are working just fine in the entertainment unit I have, then the Xbox goes no where. I m not messing up my unit so the stupid power brick won't overheat and die. That is retarded design flaw.

2. I am guessing that the whole Xbox Live thing is really just for playing against people online,and that's out. And I am most definitely NOT paying a monthly fee for something no one is using.

Actually, I had a fan go bad in my PS3 AND the laser go bad in my PS3. YLOD. Sony wanted $150 to replace a 70mm fan in the back of the PS3. The box will not turn on without a fan plugged in either. Both my PS3 and my XBox 360 were in the same cabinet.

So you're not letting your son play with a gift he was given because theres a chance it MIGHT break at some point down the line? Exceptional parenting there. Do you not let him ride a bike either, because sooner or later, every bike gets a flat tire or has a chain break? Are you going to ever let him drive? 100% of cars will break down unless they're properly maintained...

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 06, 2012 8:11 am

neg

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am

I have owned a million different consoles and never killed one. I suspect everyone that has one that has died lives in a saw mill and sits on them because they think they are a chair.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 am

neg

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun May 06, 2012 10:04 am

My father's PS3 slim died. Sony replaced it under warranty in less than two weeks.

No consumer electronic devices are invincible. X-Box has certainly been more failure-prone than most, but anything can break.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

lex-ington

Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Corrado wrote:
lex-ington wrote:

Actually, I had a fan go bad in my PS3 AND the laser go bad in my PS3. YLOD. Sony wanted $150 to replace a 70mm fan in the back of the PS3. The box will not turn on without a fan plugged in either. Both my PS3 and my XBox 360 were in the same cabinet.

So you're not letting your son play with a gift he was given because theres a chance it MIGHT break at some point down the line? Exceptional parenting there. Do you not let him ride a bike either, because sooner or later, every bike gets a flat tire or has a chain break? Are you going to ever let him drive? 100% of cars will break down unless they're properly maintained...

And I don't let him take a bath cause he might drown . . . . . . and I don't let him eat food cause he might choke . . . . . .any more unrelated analogies anybody want to bring up?

I said I already have everything setup in my entertainment unit just the way I want it. There is absolutely no reason for me to change it around because a system designer couldn't cool their system properly. My son plays the PS3 and Wii quite fine, without me having to make any special adjustments for cooling (and that means not having to open the doors for air to go in). If you want to call that overkill on parenting that's your business.

I have never said the PS3 or Wii were perfect or that they don't have their own rates of failure, but the first thing my non-techy wife said was "I don't want to see that big plug anywhere" so, no xbox. What's so hard about understanding that.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 06, 2012 1:44 pm

There is absolutely no reason for me to change it around because a system designer couldn't cool their system properly.

Meanwhile, your kid's being mocked at school after he tells all his friends "I have a 360 but daddy won't let me use it". Anticipate a second mortgage to pay for therapy bills when your offspring's 22.

But at least your entertainment center looks spiffy! Yay! :D

thecoldanddarkone

Sun May 06, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm not sure why you would even keep it at this point, sell it and buy some games your kid wants with the money, instead of just depreciating. Unless the person who gave the gift would rather it not be used.
Anyways, I had a ps3 that failed.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun May 06, 2012 2:09 pm

My wife gets alot of leeway for the way she wants some things, so far as computers and electronics goes, she has almost no say, grow a pair buddy and enjoy the benefits of the xbox.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 pm

clone wrote:
My 2 launch xboxes are still humming along great, and the third "launch" slim that I have is also been great. Make sure you have proper ventilation and also make sure its not your power brick fluctuating power.
guess the 100% failure rate has been debunked.

agree on ventilation and unstable power, seen it all too often.

The 100% failure of original Xbox 360s is an admitted fact by Microsoft. There's a reason why they took a several hundred million dollar charge on their earnings that quarter...

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 06, 2012 3:30 pm

I.S.T. wrote:

The 100% failure of original Xbox 360s is an admitted fact by Microsoft. There's a reason why they took a several hundred million dollar charge on their earnings that quarter...

I guess my first-year unit is also a "failed" one by YOUR OWN **** "logic" (there are no "facts" unless you can provide official statistics numbers), even though it continues playing all the games :roll:

Srsly, you PS3 trolls are beyond pathetic :lol:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

David

Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 pm

My launch 360 died after 5 years. Frankly I don't think I ever played a system as often for as long. It led a rough life. I forgive it for dying.

As a comparison, I've had two motherboard failures and a hard drive become unreliable in the same amount of time. I guess ASUS, Gigabyte and WD all have insane rates of failure. In fact, they're probably near 100%.

Oh, I also had a steering system failure on my car after 6 years. I guess it needed "special" handling and I've been driving it incorrectly all this time.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 06, 2012 5:59 pm

My Xboxes blow up, so do most of my "made in China by the lowest bidder" electronics, mainly graphics cards and toasters.

China sucks, but without them, everything would cost 5x more.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Mine is 5 years old and never a problem.
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Mon May 07, 2012 4:33 pm

lex-ington wrote:
If you want to call that overkill on parenting that's your business.

I have never said the PS3 or Wii were perfect or that they don't have their own rates of failure, but the first thing my non-techy wife said was "I don't want to see that big plug anywhere" so, no xbox. What's so hard about understanding that.

I hear ya loud and clear. I don't understand why a significant number of people in this thread decided to harp on you for that. It's not like your kid is "depraved" either. Like you said, you've got a Wii and PS3 in there and I haven't seen you write that your son was whining to play the 360 either.

The 360 is trash anyway. My girlfriend had the arcade version that she used seldomly but would play when she had time. The thing only lasted 3-4 years of extremely light gaming until it red-ringed. The most resource intensive game played on there was probably 5 hours worth of Army of Two, or maybe the 10-15 hours worth of Skylanders. Most of the games on her play list involve the lego games. Who knows how long it would've lasted in the hands of someone that played everyday. Probably just enough to actually be within the warranty period. :P

I have several friends that are on their second 360. A few are on their third, and I believe one is on his fourth.

And yet, my Sega Genesis, N64, Gameboy pocket, original Xbox and even my dad's Atari all still work. The same was true of my NES up until a few years ago.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:

I have had 3 xbox's and none of them succumbed to the RRoD. /shrug

I would look toward where are you placing the Xbox. It seems that heat build up plays a huge factor in RRoDs.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!