PS3 disk ejection

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

PS3 disk ejection

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Okay, a question for the fountain of knowledge that is Tech Report...

I bought Duke Nukem Forever for my PS3; it's not quite as good as I'd expect after decades of development, but it's okay and certainly worth the $7 I paid for it at the used game store.

My problem is, whenever I try to eject the disc it seems to get stuck. My PS3 will make a whirring noise, sometimes it'll beep a few times, but the thing just won't come out. If I keep pressing eject it'll eventually come out - but the last time took enough attempts that I've decided it's probably not a good idea to use it anymore.

My initial guess was that the disc was warped; but if it is, it must be very minor warping because I can't see it at all. I don't see any visible defects at all.

Anyone else encounter this? It only happens with this disc... all of my others work normally. So I'll probably just toss it out (it's way past the return period for the store) and find it again for another $7. But was wondering if anyone has seen this and knows any way to prevent it...
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Re: PS3 disk ejection

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Is there anything sticky on the disc in the hub area?
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Does it only happen with that specific game? Have you tested any other games? If it only happens with DNF then I would return the game. If it happens with other games, it's the PS3's ejector hub.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Philldoe wrote:If it only happens with DNF then I would return the game.

cphite wrote:(it's way past the return period for the store)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:Is there anything sticky on the disc in the hub area?

Nope; disc seems pretty good - nothing sticky, no warping that I can see, and not even any visible scratches.

Mainly I was wondering if this was just a weird PS3 thing, but it doesn't happen with any of my other games. I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to consoles - my wife got me the PS3 for Christmas, and the last one I owned before it was a Sega Genesis :) I'm mainly a PC gamer.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Return to Gaming