Clearing Steam Cloud

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Clearing Steam Cloud

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 am

Ok ok, You all know that I like Steam but this past weekend I came across something that is ultimately frustrating and thats the Steam cloud. There is no way to reset it as far as I could find. Sure there's tons of convoluted steps and ways to try and do it and for some it seems to work. I spent most of Sunday trying any and all of these and nothing, I am still stuck with something in the 'cloud' that I want gone.

So my problem in a nutshell is that there is a script I used a long time ago in TF2 that is no longer useful and is banned on the servers that I play (it cause crashes because of the wait command is no longer recognized) . In fact I can play well without it. (yes its the Demoman's fast firing sticky script :( ) I want to clear this but because it is saved to the Steam cloud it comes back.

Does anyone have a foolproof nonconvoluted way of clearing the Steam cloud? Why doesnt Valve just put a button in the options to clear the Steam cloud! :evil: grrrrrr

Oh and before all you Steam naysayers thread jack......Don't! Your snide and asinine comments are not welcome.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Re: Clearing Steam Cloud

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:30 am

Don't you have locally saved config files? At least for DODS, I just change my local config and it updates the Steam Cloud version on its own. Does TF2 do things a bit wonky?
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 am

TheEmrys wrote:Don't you have locally saved config files? At least for DODS, I just change my local config and it updates the Steam Cloud version on its own. Does TF2 do things a bit wonky?

There are local config files and when I edit those I was hoping that it would overwrite the cloud but the exact opposite happens, the cloud overwrites the local stuff. I could always turn off the cloud for TF2 but then that just means that stuff is "stuck" up there. I would just like to reset it if all possible.

(BTW I know there are two places to turn the cloud on and off, one is within Steam and the other is within the game properties)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 am

I've noticed that if I turn off steam cloud and turn it back on a few days later, I'm asked if I would like to have the cloud sync the newer files or keep the older ones.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 am

Valve/Steam customer service?
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:52 am

Philldoe wrote:I've noticed that if I turn off steam cloud and turn it back on a few days later, I'm asked if I would like to have the cloud sync the newer files or keep the older ones.

Hmm I may just try that.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am

I obviously don't know what you're tried or found on Google, but this post on the Steam forums seems pretty complete. I haven't tried it myself, though. I'm also not sure it qualifies as "non-convoluted" either.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m
mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

mortifiedPenguin wrote:I obviously don't know what you're tried or found on Google, but this post on the Steam forums seems pretty complete. I haven't tried it myself, though. I'm also not sure it qualifies as "non-convoluted" either.

Very very convoluted and yes that was the first one I tried and it didn't work.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Return to Gaming