Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Borderlands 2

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 am

You guys are making me curious, have never played the first part, but i might throw the cash on second.

Recommendation required, should i buy the part 2 directly or is it required for me to play the first part to get sync with the story ?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:54 am

You don't really need to play the first one - the story of Borderlands 2 is different, with absolutely new "antagonist" and playable characters... However, if you have chance - you should play the first one anyway, a lot of NPC characters from first game appear in second one, plus the game itself is fun to go through at least once. Plus it may give you enough time before the first patch for Borderlands 2 will be released - there are plenty of issues right now with the game.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:59 am

travbrad wrote:
It runs really smooth on my GTX460/2500K too. I have everything maxed other than PhysX, and I never drop below 65-70FPS.

There are some areas when I get weird "pauses"... For example, during the mission of saving Roland, in an interior area (Bloodshot Stronghold) with a huge round "whirlpool" with lots of water in it. Other than this - it does run fine.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 am

So I have quite a bit of time in game so far. I have Zer0 up to a lvl 20. His melee attack is finally useful. Restoring his health as I slash through the enemies. The guns have gotten a better now. I haven't had as many glitches as I did in borderlands 1 on release.
The one thing I wish I had was someone in my group with ammo regen. It was such a relief in the first game when I didn't have to open up every ammo chest I found. But even doing that in this one I run out of sniper bullets around every 5 min.

There are an obscene amount of side missions and I have been trying to get as many done as possible so I don't have to go back and do them later when I am insanely over powered.
One of the best things in the game is the comedy. I laugh multiple times during play. Over all at this point the game is quite enjoyable.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:16 am

Curious, are there still ammo and backpack upgrades so that you can carry more? I do kinda like some challenge in the inventory, but it's still a bit annoying running between machines to sell the guns I pick up.

And yeah, 48 sniper bullets off the bat. I make good use of them, but since I favor the rifle so much, they still go away quickly.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 am

Jigar wrote:
You guys are making me curious, have never played the first part, but i might throw the cash on second.

Recommendation required, should i buy the part 2 directly or is it required for me to play the first part to get sync with the story ?

I would play the first one first. BL2 is a better game (from the 4 hours I have played) and I think that it will be hard to go back to BL1 after playing BL2. If you are tight on time, then I would skip straight to BL2.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 am

JohnC wrote:
You don't really need to play the first one - the story of Borderlands 2 is different, with absolutely new "antagonist" and playable characters... However, if you have chance - you should play the first one anyway, a lot of NPC characters from first game appear in second one, plus the game itself is fun to go through at least once. Plus it may give you enough time before the first patch for Borderlands 2 will be released - there are plenty of issues right now with the game.

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I would play the first one first. BL2 is a better game (from the 4 hours I have played) and I think that it will be hard to go back to BL1 after playing BL2. If you are tight on time, then I would skip straight to BL2.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, looks like will directly go with BL2.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 am

superjawes wrote:
Curious, are there still ammo and backpack upgrades so that you can carry more? I do kinda like some challenge in the inventory, but it's still a bit annoying running between machines to sell the guns I pick up.

And yeah, 48 sniper bullets off the bat. I make good use of them, but since I favor the rifle so much, they still go away quickly.

Yes, there is a bank, a stash and your backpack, which can all be upgraded in slots. Including equipable guns + storing items.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 am

There better be some form of ammo regen as a class mod or something. The first game was annoying without a Roland with team ammo regen in the ground. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 am

From what I have read the only Ammo regen is from the Gunzerker this time, not the commando.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 am

I'm on vacation this week without my PC. Borderlands 2 is waiting for me to fire up Steam and start downloading. You guys are killing me with anticipation.

Keep it up!
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 am

Turns out I missed a quest on my way to sanctuary, I'm currently busy killing me some bonerfarts!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Waco wrote:
The first game was annoying without a Roland with team ammo regen in the ground. :P

Not really - other classes also had "class mods" with single weapon ammo regeneration... At least Mordecai did. I usually always had plenty of ammo for almost all weapons I've been using for both my Mordecai and Roland characters even when playing solo, especially since ammo carrying capacity upgrades were pretty affordable and required only single currency.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Thia was a fun find...

I'm also very pleased to report my system can drive this game in full 12 megapixel glory at an acceptable frame rate.

Behold!

http://www.leor.com/tr/2012-09-20_00003.jpg

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 pm

...b.t.w, not sure if it's me, but I feel like I'm doing A LOT of backtracking (revisiting the old areas) when doing various sidequests, and it involves A LOT of running... don't remember it happening in original Borderlands :-?

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am

JohnC wrote:
...b.t.w, not sure if it's me, but I feel like I'm doing A LOT of backtracking (revisiting the old areas) when doing various sidequests, and it involves A LOT of running... don't remember it happening in original Borderlands :-?

There were times it happend in the first borderlands. Which required me going back when I was a much higher level to do side quests.
There seems to be a lot more this time around. Normally what I will do is try to gathe all the quest I have available and just knock them out according to what area and lvl they are. And then I go back to main quest.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am

I'm not an FPS person, but I'm a big loot/grind fan. I got a great deal on this game thanks to being gifted some gift cards at my birthday and not sure what to spend it on. Bought the PC version last night at Gamestop. Played about two hours last night and woke up early this morning so I played some more. I'm catching on. It's really fun so far. Looking forward to lots of great loot drops. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 am

Spent 23 hours in Pandora since Friday - not a bad place. :) We had a great time and even though we still have a chunk to go before we beat it I think the end is in sight. I played as Axton and went for the Survival tree but after we were done for the weekend I respeced for the Gunpowder tree and think I will be a better contributor to our team that way. What I really want to do is get to level 34 so I can the first three turret special abilities, add rockets, deploy it long range, and add a shield. That sounds like a recipe for fun and worth splitting my skill points for. If it sucks I can just reset it for a reasonable price and try something else.

So yeah, Borderlands 2 is great fun and all but I kept thinking about the Just Cause 2 multiplayer I had enjoyed so much the previous two weekends - hope I can play that again soon too.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 am

I am 23 hours in, and at lvl 26.
Zer0 has gotten pretty amazing compared to how weak he was at the start.
When the game starts and you have your teamate throwing a turret out and your skill is to walk around invisible, you feel like you made a mistake.
But now at this point in the game, you see your teamate and his turret attacking a guy and you turn invisible and can crush him in 1 melee attack while also gaining health. Its pretty awesome.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 am

FYI my 23 hours got me half way through level 25.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 am

I just started my second playthrough of it last night in the "true vault hunter mode", and I think it's even better the 2nd time through. You basically redo the same missions but the enemies are all scaled to your new starting level, and it's A LOT more challenging on this play-through. :)
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 am

Wow. I got it on Thursday and I have no idea about my time spent but I'm only at level 10. That's what I get for watching **** football yesterday. :x
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 am

Heh, I didn't play more than about an additional hour or two on Sunday. Still watched the Lions game though - some crazy stuff that was.

travbrad,
Harder than the 2nd run through of the first game? That was fun too.

Corrado

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Wow. I got it on Thursday and I have no idea about my time spent but I'm only at level 10. That's what I get for watching **** football yesterday. :x

Thats what I did. I think I'm level 11 or 12 with Zer0. Finally starting to get some decent weapons but I don't like how underpowered the sniper rifles are if you don't get a head shot.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 pm

I had some minor hitching and framerate issues with BL2, but Catalyst 12.8 CAP 3 helped some, as did a couple tweaks in the ini files (changing poolsize to 512 and d3d11=true). I'd encourage any AMD users to try those. The ini files are in C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config and specifically I changed in the WillowEngine.ini:
[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=512
[SystemSettings]
AllowD3D11=True

I'm about halfway through the second playthrough as Siren (wanted to try something different and never played Siren in the first game) at level 44, and it gets pretty challenging in the second playthrough as someone said. It's a weird game in that it seemed most difficult in the very beginning of each playthrough, but now that I'm a long ways into the second playthrough it's getting as hard as it was at the beginning. I am liking the challenge though.

There was a point where it was so hard I was ready to throw in the towel, but respeccing helped, and then I found a good sniper rifle that does 4900 dmg and that really helped too.

superjawes

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Corrado wrote:
I don't like how underpowered the sniper rifles are if you don't get a head shot.
That's the point of playing a sniper... The sniper rounds still tend to do a lot of damage, but the most you'll ever be able to pump out is 12, and that's on pretty rare rifles, so every shot needs to be a critical one so that you don't get killed while reloading.

But speaking of time, I went to homecoming for my college school this weekend and spent the time drinking and enjoying the company of friends. After an extra day off, I've still only logged 6 hours :lol:

Oh well, things sound fun ahead of me, and I look forward to playing more. Glad to hear even newer players are having fun, too.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 am

Corrado wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Thats what I did. I think I'm level 11 or 12 with Zer0. Finally starting to get some decent weapons but I don't like how underpowered the sniper rifles are if you don't get a head shot.

Well, it was kinda the same in first Borderlands... Though there you at least had a helpful "pet" for your "huntard" :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 am

leor wrote:
http://www.leor.com/tr/2012-09-20_00003.jpg

I really enjoyed the particular mission you were playing when you snapped that screenshot. He was so exasperated in trying to find a new name...lol

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 am

Finally beat the game last night. Took almost 30 hours of playing. And I finished at level 30.
I think I have two side missions I must go back and do. And then off to play play through 2.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am

Looking for help, But some spoilers may be listed here so only look if you have beat the game or don't care.

I am only a level 36 but I wanna fight the boss that Tannis sends you to fight. I know I can't do much damage but I wouldn't mind the exp boost. Is there anyone out there who can help do a run to the boss and defeat him?