Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

willyolio
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Star Citizen: from the creator of Wing Commander

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 am

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

basically, the project is a high-detail, vast-scale, physics-based space sim. I think TR should put this on the front page.

Also, donations of $30+ will reserve a ship for you. higher donations get you better ships, apparently. $250+ gets you the top-of-the-line ship.
Last edited by willyolio on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Space Citizen: from the creator of Wing Commander

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm

willyolio wrote:
I think TR should put this on the front page.

And for a few cents per impression, they will.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Sputnik7
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:37 pm

reminds me and makes me miss my copy of Freespace 2. Time to dust off the ol' logitech joystick...
ASUS Prime 270Z-A | 7700K @ stock for now | 16 GB DDR4-3200 | GTX 970 | Fractal Define S | Dell S2716DG 144hz G-Sync @ 1440p

Lore
Gerbil

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:55 am

I just get "Invalid currency: eur" when trying to pledge. Which is weird when i am on the European pledge site.
I7-8700, Msi Z370-A Pro, 960Evo 500GB,16GB 2666 DDR4,Tesla R2 500W PSU, Sapphire R9 Fury and 3x4TB spinning rust

Parge
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:04 am

Looks freaking incredible!

This game should be embraced by every hardware fan on the planet. I've just pledged 48 Euros, so apparently I'm a 'Bounty Hunter'.....

Agree with the OP - this game should definitely be on the front page!

BTW: OP - Maybe change the title of the thread to 'Star Citizen'?

willyolio
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: Star Citizen: from the creator of Wing Commander

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:12 am

lol, i didn't even realize i named it wrong

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am

Looks great but I'd like to see some planetary action.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:13 pm

As much as I have like the idea of the Kickstarter projects, I haven't been motivated to invest.

Then I read about this project on RPS and I felt an overwhelming compulsion to spend money! I can't wait to get my Citizen card in the mail this Christmas, whatever that means.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:52 pm

wow, surprised there aren't more wing commander / privateer / freelancer fans here at the tech report. played all of the wing commander games and privateer way back in the day; awesome awesome games. can't wait for this to get done, but it'll be a year until alpha testing and one-two more after that befre the game is (hopefully) finished. i really hope roberts and company can make this vision a reality and will certainly pledge at least $30 to help in that aspect.

seriously, online privateer with a wing commander-like story arc embedded; what's not to like? i feel sorry to the younger generation of gamers that missed out man. watch that trailer, how do you not want that? and that's just the wing commander part!

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm probably going to kick in at the $50 level... I've already backed 3 or 4 projects.. hopefully they'll see me through until this is out..

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Not a 'fan' of the series, for whatever reason I can't really explain, but kickstarter is starting to interest me. Something to pass the time?

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 am

in case anyone didn't know, they now have a kickstarter page up. you may also want to scroll through the comments as chris roberts and company have answered several questions brought up. they also added a star citizen faq page which explains the game in further detail and answers more of the common questions.

supposedly there will be an option to increase your pledge on the rsi site by monday or soon after, possibly additional ship info, and a reddit ama all day, so stay tuned for all of that. finally, here is another interview with chris roberts.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

reddit ama will start in three hours from now (10am pt / 1pm et). i'll post a link when it gets underway.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:14 pm

the reddit ama is now live, ask away or just come back and read later. should be good!

i never played freelancer, but i liked privateer well enough. if done right, i think an online privateer would be cool (maybe that was freelancer, i don't know). he did say he couldn't make freelancer what he wanted it to be; we'll see if this venture goes better. i'll play it regardless though; i want to fly in space and blow **** up again!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:33 pm

This looks pretty good to me, and I'm excited for it and all, but damn i'd like a new X-Wing or Tie Fighter game. I always like them more than the Wing Commander, or Privateer.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:15 pm

i liked them both, and played both. although, i don't recall ever beating x-wing or tie fighter? maybe i'm just getting old o_O.

anyway, figures reddit would go down just as the ama was getting started. hopefully it'll be back up sooner rather than later.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
This looks pretty good to me, and I'm excited for it and all, but damn i'd like a new X-Wing or Tie Fighter game. I always like them more than the Wing Commander, or Privateer.

This. Hell, Lucasarts could just re-make these games with modern graphics while adding a little more interactivity and background story and they'd have a winner. Would sure beat the snot out of TOR :).

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't really understand why LucasArts stopped making those games. Space combat sims must be cheap to make. There are only a few 3D models with the background being a skybox. I think that there's still demand for Star Wars space combat games. I don't get why you wouldn't make a game if it's easy to make and will make a bunch of money.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 pm

A space sim?

1994 called, it wants its game back.

Seriously, does it have FMV with Mark Hammil and Ginger Lynn Allen, too?

I kid, I kid. I'm glad to see this genre might be making an return.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I don't really understand why LucasArts stopped making those games. Space combat sims must be cheap to make. There are only a few 3D models with the background being a skybox. I think that there's still demand for Star Wars space combat games. I don't get why you wouldn't make a game if it's easy to make and will make a bunch of money.

Because it's not a MMORPG and that's become the sole game paradigm, at least the sole paradigm investors will back.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Vrock wrote:

Um, the same Ginger Lynn I remember from worn-out VHS tapes and odd hookups with Charlie Sheen?

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:33 pm

chris is answering questions over in the star citizen kickstarter comments for the time being. he usually takes questions there every night at 9pm pst (or has been for the past couple of days) as well. if reddit stays down today, there will most likely be another ama session when they get their servers back up and running.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Um, the same Ginger Lynn I remember from worn-out VHS tapes and odd hookups with Charlie Sheen?

Yes. For your amusement, I present Wing Commander III, Miss Allen's attempted foray into "legitimate" acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZPTc6wBd4

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Vrock wrote:
Yes. For your amusement, I present Wing Commander III, Miss Allen's attempted foray into "legitimate" acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZPTc6wBd4

Oh that's just bad, sick, & wrong on so many levels. Wonder if she ever "got her hands on it"?

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:26 pm

if i'm not mistaken, a kilrathi gave her the business end of his claws.

d0g_p00p
Gerbil

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Looks amazing. It's really sad that the last great space sim was Freespace 2. I still remember how great that was game to this day. Cannot say that about many of the games I have played since then. I would almost kill for a space game. Please, please, please, please....
Last edited by d0g_p00p on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:

Very true. Over at Hard Light ( which was posted up earlier ) the Battlestar game, Diaspora, looks pretty decent and it is just an updated version of the old freespace engine. I wouldn't exactly call it up to modern standards, but it still doesn't look bad at all. It's a shame it's so damned short. Trying to get into Wing Commander Saga, but not enjoying it as much.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 pm

alright, lots of updates tonight!

• we've passed $1.95 million and should reach the $2 million goal in nine hours or so
  • you can now upgrade your pledge at the rsi website (click on "you account" at the top)
  • there are more pledge tiers added, and more benefits for the higher tiers
  • the long-awaited ship info is out!
in addition, here is a recent interview with chris roberts that is worth a read, and answers several questions about the game.

members from the rsi team (including chris himself) frequently answer questions in the rsi general forum and in the comments section of the star citizen kickstarter.

little news update: we've officially passed the 2 million dollar goal; props to all the backers so far. this game is getting MADE!

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:57 am

time for another update i think.

• we've passed the 2.3 million dollar mark!
  • expanded stretch goals listed on the rsi website and a separate one for kickstarter
  • stretch goals apply for everyone, regardless of where you pledged
  • more info about the stretch goals is here
  • Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview with chris: part one and part two
it looks like we'll hit the 750K kickstarter stretch goal (repair bot) on monday, and the 2.5M main stretch goal (new bomber) on tuesday. if you haven't already, check out the spectrum dispatches for some universe fiction and the time capsule for some universe backstory.