Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

DIREWOLF75
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

A game that might be... hopefully...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:43 am

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bla ... video-game

Looks like it could become an excellent game, if it´s made. So with such hopes i post this here and maybe draw in someone interested that otherwise would never have known.

Thank you for your attention.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Re: A game that might be... hopefully...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:09 am

You should change the title to something that makes more sense.
It reads much like the spam thread titles.

or better yet, just add it to the kickstarter thread.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

LafInBob
Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:08 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game

Looks like it could become an excellent game, if it´s made. So with such hopes i post this here and maybe draw in someone interested that otherwise would never have known.

Thank you for your attention.

Thank you. I guess it's time to contribute to a kickstarter project for the first time.
GA-EP45-UD3R, E8500, NZXT Tempest, MSI N260 OC (216 cores), Core Contact Freezer
Corsair HX520, 4GB Mushkin DDR2 800, WD AALS 640 GB, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Just keep in mind that contributing is no guarantee that you'll get a functional game in the end. Kickstarter-funded projects can fail, just like any other business venture.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DIREWOLF75
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 am

danny e. wrote:
You should change the title to something that makes more sense.
It reads much like the spam thread titles.

or better yet, just add it to the kickstarter thread.

Oops, didn´t see that there was such a thread. And the title, well i wasn´t certain what to write really.
Since the game in question is a bit on the niche-side, just putting the name up as title didn´t seem like a good idea.
I´ll just make a post there then.

just brew it! wrote:
Just keep in mind that contributing is no guarantee that you'll get a functional game in the end. Kickstarter-funded projects can fail, just like any other business venture.

Uhm, that´s really not a nice way of saying it. You make it sound like any pledge for a failed game is money lost, that is obviously not so.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:19 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Uhm, that´s really not a nice way of saying it.

How so? Kickstarter is a great idea, but people also need to realize its limitations. When contributing towards development of a game, one of those limitations is that you've effectively buying a (very small) stake in what could end up being a failed development effort. I'm just being realistic.

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
You make it sound like any pledge for a failed game is money lost, that is obviously not so.

As long as you don't come in with the idea that getting a copy of the finished game is guaranteed, then I agree. You've helped fund someone's attempt at producing a game that you want to play; as long as everyone has acted in good faith, then the money is not wasted even if the game ends up not getting finished. Many people will be fine with that, but others may not be.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:30 am

To me, Kickstarter just seems like a way to avoid securities laws. This way developers are able to raise funds without having to jump through any regulatory hoops by pre-selling products instead of shares.

In the end, if the company goes bankrupt then you have a worthless claim for a breach of contract instead of a worthless claim to a share of the profits.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:30 pm

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Uhm, that´s really not a nice way of saying it. You make it sound like any pledge for a failed game is money lost, that is obviously not so.

If:

1.) the kickstarter project meets its funding goal then you are charged
and
2.) the game does not ship

then:

3.) you are screwed

Pick and choose Kickstarters very carefully and it's not an issue. I've done 3 kickstarter projects - a game, a video series (at my wife's request), and a music project. The CD shipped about 6 weeks after the kickstarter ended, because the money was basically to pay for mastering and production. The game (Wasteland 2) is still 8-10 months out but I have no doubt it will ship. The videos are some...thing...that my wife is into and the first of 3 has been finished. As long as you are careful you get what you paid for.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen