Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 am

not that any of you care deeply, but it unlocks tonight at 11 central and I'm excited :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeedForSpee ... re=pvchclk
Seems like they went a little overboard on the trailers/videos but hey it works while I wait
Meow.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 am

Wasn't Need for Speed: Most Wanted released like 6 years ago?

*checks wikipdedia* Yep, 2005. I played a lot of Undercover, but haven't touched the series since I found GRID.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah I don't get why they're re-using the name... could be because the original Most Wanted was probably the only good NFS game ever.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

LostCat
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 pm

I liked Need for Speed 3, 4, Underground 2 (never played 1,) Most Wanted, Carbon, Hot Pursuit, and The Run so far. I'm sure I'll like future ones as well :)

The one coming out today will kick ass.
Meow.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Meh, I've beaten all of the following, but... Underground 2 was good and took a long time since you had to drive to every race (best bang for your buck), Most Wanted was great (maybe the overall best), Carbon sacrificed a lot for drifting. Pro Street sucked. Since then, I've lost interest and stopped buying the games, just rented them for the weekend which was pretty much all the time it took to either beat or get sick of the newer ones. Undercover, Hot Pursuit and The Run were only okay.
I miss the variety of customizations and tuning and whoever thought adding the race line was a good idea should be shot. (can't remember if they still do this, it came out in Pro Street though) There's nothing more "on the rails" than having to follow a "rail" in order to win. One minor deviation and you can kiss your chances at 1st place goodbye.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

LostCat
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Try Burnout Paradise and Most Wanted then...sounds like they'll be fairly similar in that you can take whatever path you like, it just might not be the best one.

As for customization, I suspect that died in the ever increasing quest for car/world detail and bigger multiplayer matches.

Can't say it'll never come back, I just don't expect it anytime soon.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Well, it's Criterion. Their NFS games re-use names for whatever reason. See 2010's NFS Hot Pursuit.

On the plus side, their games are freaking great. Burnout Takedown, Burnout Revenge, and Burnout Paradise were all outstanding arcadey race games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:35 pm

I hadn't played any of theirs before Revenge on the 360 =)

There's also Burnout Crash on XBLA, which was goofy but fun.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am

I haven't played Crash. Looked a lot like GTA games before GTA3. top-down driving.

Although the concept closely mirrors what I used to do with Hot Wheels when I was a kid - make some traffic and then tear through it. Aww yeahhhh
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Crash was silly. You basically ran into traffic with whichever car you chose, and if it did enough damage you could explode the car (some cars had more explosive power, some had more speed) and basically tried to play car pinball to make as much explode or go into a pit as possible. With some superweapons and some randomization (if you blow up the pizza truck you got a Wheel of Misfortune or sommat to help you out.)

I liked it, but it wasn't something long term.

As for the new Most Wanted, I like it and it's beautiful, but it's a little strange in some ways. I'll have a hard time getting long sessions in, but I'll still be playing it for a long time I'm sure. :)
Meow.