Two and a half years of Titan

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Two and a half years of Titan

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 pm

About two and a half years ago I started playing Titan Quest and the Immortal Throne expansion via Steam. I have only one character, a warrior that specializes in dual-wield and offensive skills. The game is a time sink, but a fun one. I invested countless hours over the years building my character and getting up to the last few sections in Hades.

Earlier today my computer randomly shut off in the middle of playing. I restarted, and got back in TQ. My charachter is there and he has his inventory items, but the quest log is completely gone! The only quest available to me is the torch quest from Rhodes. Apparently the crash corrupted the quest data of my character :cry: :cry: :cry: The corruption is odd; for example, Orpheus is standing there in town, where he went after I rescued him from the cyclops, but his lover's dialogue indicates that he is not yet saved and will not add her quest to my log even after I talk to her.

I suppose I could go back and play the entire game over again so that I could continue from where I was, but this is so disheartening I'm not sure I will. This whole thing reminds me of playing Diablo multiplayer back when the game was new, and getting disconnected from the server as I was going to retrieve my items after a death.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: Two and a half years of Titan

Postposted on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Restore from a recent backup?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 am

Definitely restore from backup. Sounds like a simple enough file-corruption issue.

If you don't have backups, let this be your umpteenth lesson.

I other news, I never played the expansion for TQ. Is it better or worse than the original game?
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:41 am

Just wanted to mention that if you liked Titan's Quest (I did too) then you'll love Torchlight II. IT's on sale for $10 right now, really worth the normal $20, $10 is a steal.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:41 am

Abandon your character and start a new one with the lilith mod.
odizzido
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:45 am

Is the Lilith mod worthwhile? I can't try it now as I only have Titan Quest. I bought it as part of the THQ Humble Bundle and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

As to the quests you may be able to use one of the editors to mark the quests as being completed. You can give TQ Vault a try. http://titanquestvault.ign.com/View.php?view=ToolsandEditors.List I don't know how well it works since it requires TQIT but people seem happy with it.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:01 pm

When I played through TQ I used TQVault a lot, both for storing items to twink and for some game tweeaks. (I didn't cheat the gameplay progression; I did use it to change my spawn point and also gave myself a bunch of gold which seems lame but is really just time spent farming which is boring to me.) so, anyway, TQVault worked great for me, it also has backup functions I believe which would prevent this problem in the future.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:33 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:Just wanted to mention that if you liked Titan's Quest (I did too) then you'll love Torchlight II. IT's on sale for $10 right now, really worth the normal $20, $10 is a steal.

Finished TL and then TL2 on both coop and sp. Loved it, and almost missed it because it released the day before Borderlands2.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 pm

nanoflower wrote:Is the Lilith mod worthwhile? I can't try it now as I only have Titan Quest. I bought it as part of the THQ Humble Bundle and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

As to the quests you may be able to use one of the editors to mark the quests as being completed. You can give TQ Vault a try. http://titanquestvault.ign.com/View.php?view=ToolsandEditors.List I don't know how well it works since it requires TQIT but people seem happy with it.

I think the lilith mod is better than the original campaign.
odizzido
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 pm

That might just be enough to put me off the game. It's certainly not Titan Quest's fault or anything, but I'd look at all the "work" and "effort" and decide I just didn't want to go through it all again. Happened to me in Diablo II. Inevitably I'd go back after a couple months, but during that break I wanted anything but to rebuild a guy.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 pm

I don't have a backup, unfortunately. The Lilith mod looks interesting. Will check that out. Thanks!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Gaming