Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Help me get into Dragon Age:Origins

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 pm

I bought this game a few months ago, and I believe I played it for all of 5 minutes. Barely past character creation, really. I just didn't get into it at all. However, it should be in my wheelhouse. I played through Neverwinter Nights with pretty much every class of character I could, and even replayed some (yeah, the whole OC plus the expansions). I played through NWN2 and expansions and got into being a bit more serious with my character builds. DA:O should be a game I love. Is it because I have grown to love the strong cleric builds? Anyway, help me long to play this game. Its been out for so long now, I should really have at least played through it once.

But, I don't want spoilers.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Pettytheft
Gerbil XP

Re: Help me get into Dragon Age:Origins

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Can't tell you much other than to grind through the first 2-3 hours of it. Then it gets good with a few highs and lows. I found the Dwarf Noble to be the most entertaining origins story but the others were decent as well. Download the improved texture pack, it makes it much easier on the eyes.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:11 pm

The origin story for each race varies and can be a bit underwhelming overall. The game doesn't really pick up until you get past the initial area and to the highway or whatever.

Also, it'd help if you actually said what it was that you weren't enjoying.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Just play the game further, past the "origin" sections. DA:O is not about playing a "dress-up" at the character's creation screen, it's about story and interaction between in-game characters... Also, make sure you're not playing the "bare" game but at least have the "Stone Prisoner" DLC.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 pm

All the DLCs are pretty good. Also keep switching around your "team" The banter between the team members is top notch and funny to boot.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm a serious RPG fan. I've played them going back to the days of the C64 and honestly DA/DA2 are not really going to get any better. They are on-rails type RPGs. It's more like BioShock Infinite with RPG style fighting except there's a lot to like about BioShock Infinite and there's really nothing of any value in even playing Dragon Age.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 pm

I agree that you have to get past the initial origin story before it really gets super interesting, but I found both of the dwarf origins to be pretty good. The mage one was snooze-ville.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm

My favorite DA:O character is the dwarf thief.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
My favorite DA:O character is the dwarf thief.

That has to be an oxymoron (but no offense). It's been so long since I've gotten into this game, though, that I could hardly tell you. I'm just now catching up with the Dragon Age 2 DLC that came out after I beat the game!

jossie
Gerbil

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 pm

It was challenging yet rewarding to be a mage at the start of the game. Then you become overpowered and can solo all trash mobs and most bosses, which is fun its own way. Key skills, whose names I've forgotten: cone of cold, lightning storm + blizzard, all blood magic, mana burn, sleep

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:42 pm

jossie wrote:
It was challenging yet rewarding to be a mage at the start of the game. Then you become overpowered and can solo all trash mobs and most bosses, which is fun its own way. Key skills, whose names I've forgotten: cone of cold, lightning storm + blizzard, all blood magic, mana burn, sleep

Dual-maging it and simulcasting the lightening storm and earthquake spell meant quick doom for large groups of trash, while a good tank held on to the bosses and semi-bosses.

And that's the nice thing about Dragon Age- four body parties with three hard classes means two mages. One for healing/resurrection (Lee to the rear!) and one for CC, AOE and assassination spells.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Your standard 4-member party for much of DA:O is going to be: Someone who can open locked chests, two mages (one primarily healing, the other offensive with minor healing), and a fourth. If your player character fills one of the three more-or-less mandatory roles, you've got more flexibility for who you can take with you.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Your standard 4-member party for much of DA:O is going to be: Someone who can open locked chests, two mages (one primarily healing, the other offensive with minor healing), and a fourth. If your player character fills one of the three more-or-less mandatory roles, you've got more flexibility for who you can take with you.

Yup;

Though I will add that when you get to Dragon Age 2 (and you will), the DPS Warrior (2-handed) is a hell of a lot of fun. They somehow managed to balance two-tanking that game, and with the move to a more arcade-RPG feel, the actions of the fighters (Rogues and 2H warriors) just add so much fun. You can take your token mage and a ranged rogue (an as mentioned above, the banter is a highlight), making the two characters central to the story great constant companions.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Dragon Age 2 is so dumbed down from DA:O that it makes me hate console game players.

My weapon skill path for my Dwarf Rogue in DA:O was dual daggers.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

2 Mages? What for? I've enjoyed the whole game with only one "active" mage. Wynne is an old and boring hag, better kept in a camp... Or sacrificed during certain events :wink: You can't romance her and her "moral police" whinings are annoying, especially about "blah, blah, blah, you shouldn't romance him/her, you'll get herpes, put your duty above lust" stuff :wink:

Speaking of romance - there are some nice mods that improve it, like "Better Sex Cutscenes" and "the Pearl Redone". Highly recommended, especially if you will "romance" male companions :wink: :o
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 pm

JohnC wrote:
Speaking of romance - there are some nice mods that improve it, like "Better Sex Cutscenes" and "the Pearl Redone". Highly recommended, especially if you will "romance" male companions :wink: :o

That sounds like a trap... but I think Bioware has struck a pretty good balance of 'romance' in their games.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Nah, they really "missed out" on The Pearl... Which is what one of these mods fixes, without "breaking" any immersion or storyline :wink:

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:04 am

JohnC wrote:
2 Mages? What for? I've enjoyed the whole game with only one "active" mage. Wynne is an old and boring hag, better kept in a camp... Or sacrificed during certain events :wink: You can't romance her and her "moral police" whinings are annoying, especially about "blah, blah, blah, you shouldn't romance him/her, you'll get herpes, put your duty above lust" stuff :wink:

I couldn't stand either of the NPC mages, one's a biddy and the other is Stupid Evil. And PC mage didn't seem like a good fit for a number of reasons. When I get around to replaying this I need to see about finding a mod with another option.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 am

Airmantharp wrote:
JohnC wrote:

That sounds like a trap... but I think Bioware has struck a pretty good balance of 'romance' in their games.

Heh. I prefer the Witcher. Geralt's a boss. Maybe I prefer a more casual fantasy since I'm more romantic in reality.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:58 am

NovusBogus wrote:
JohnC wrote:

I couldn't stand either of the NPC mages, one's a biddy and the other is Stupid Evil. And PC mage didn't seem like a good fit for a number of reasons. When I get around to replaying this I need to see about finding a mod with another option.

:lol: I wouldn't necessarily say that Morrigan is a "stupid evil", just, well, more like a "token evil-ish person" because RPG games with "party" system need to have such person. And at least she's not against having a "good time" even without long-term relationships (which might change in next DA game) :wink:

Speaking of next DA - I really hope the Bioware will concentrate on more story/dialog and "meaningful" relationships between characters instead of simply going "OMG, our in-game world is huge! Like, 100x the size of previous gaem! And you can just aimlessly roam around it with no glass walls!".

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 am

Like every one else has said the game gets better once your past the Origins part. I tend to play a Rogue or a Mage, I just can't get into how shield works in DAO so I tend to not play a warrior. I do not see much use in Warriors when a Rogue can use all the armor types that a Warrior can if you so choose. Want to be a heavy tank and a damage dealer, Rogue can do that. Plus playing a Rogue will free up a party slot you have to use for a Rogue just so they can pick locks for you. When I play a Mage I only stay a pure casting Mage for a short time until I can pick a specialization. Then I go the Arcane Warrior, which has to be unlocked before you can use this specialization, route where I can be a casting tank.

I recommend you give the Dragon Age Wiki a look at specializations and what each class can do. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki