I don't use WASD -- do you?

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

I don't use WASD -- do you?

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Most people apparently do, but I prefer ESDF for my directional movement. That gives me an addition column of keys -- right by my pinky that I can use for movement or other actions -- that WASD players don't get. I've used ESDF for close to two decades now. Is there something great about WASD that I miss by using ESDF?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: I don't use WASD -- do you?

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Most games just map WASD by default, and use tab, shift, and ctrl as pinky actions.

Aside from having to map all the keys manually, which isn't a big deal, you do lose the Alt key.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.
mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:30 pm

FireGryphon wrote:Most people apparently do, but I prefer ESDF for my directional movement. That gives me an addition column of keys -- right by my pinky that I can use for movement or other actions -- that WASD players don't get. I've used ESDF for close to two decades now. Is there something great about WASD that I miss by using ESDF?

I use WASD. It's where my left hand sits during non-gaming activities. I know and can feel the keys around it. You can always assign other things to the keys around it and I am more comfortable with going to ctrl/shift/capslock etc than I would be if I felt another "letter-sized key" with my pinky if I reached over.

Whatev though. Whatever is most comfortable for you is what you should use, man.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm

WASD no, ever couple of years I try to train myself to do it but can't. I STILL use the arrows and various buttons around them.
This forum owns.
Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:55 pm

I still use arrow keys if at all possible; I've never gotten used to WASD or ESDF.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Either WASD or ESDF, I switch freely between them based on my needs. Arrow keys.........seriously?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Use left and right mouse buttons for forward and backwards. Z and C are left and right strafe with X as jump and Space (thumb) as fire. I stopped using that re-map recently because of DayZ needing too many keys to be re-mapped.
My Johnson
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:16 pm

I use ESDF because having Caps Lock mapped as a control key gets annoying for in game chat. I also use Belkin (Razer) Nostromo keypad because I found that the offset of the key rows on a regular keyboard combined with having to arch my hand over lower keys really stresses my hand after a while - brilliant device, even if it is significantly overpriced.
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:45 pm

tanker27 wrote:Either WASD or ESDF, I switch freely between them based on my needs. Arrow keys.........seriously?

If you include the numpad as arrow keys, then yes. Seriously. This makes it particularly annoying when games arbitrarily decide not to let you bind keys such as numpad ENTER (eg, Max Payne 3).

As long as games allow you to bind all the keys, as most do, there's usually enough keys around the numpad to make it work.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:55 pm

I try to use mostly default keys- I only change stupidly placed ones. Now, for a controller or joystick- that crap gets remapped all to hell :)
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:18 pm

ASDX - gives me three keys in the row above I can map as necessary, and feels better. The friend of mine who bases all of his FPS controls on a modified version of the Star Wars TIE Fighter controls... now that's an unusual configuration.
AMD FX-8320 | ASRock 970 Extreme4 | 24GB Corsair Ballistic DDR3-1600 | 2048 MB MSI Geforce GTX 660 | 600W Corsair Builder Series |Xubuntu 14.04 x64 | Cooler Master CM690 | Pioneer Blu-ray RW Drive | 240 gig Mushkin SSD | 500 gig Western Digital SATA Drive
Concupiscence
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 pm

puppetworx wrote:I use ESDF because having Caps Lock mapped as a control key gets annoying for in game chat. I also use Belkin (Razer) Nostromo keypad because I found that the offset of the key rows on a regular keyboard combined with having to arch my hand over lower keys really stresses my hand after a while - brilliant device, even if it is significantly overpriced.

I map Caps Lock to Control on every system I use. I can't imagine a legitimate use for Caps Lock. It certainly has no place in game chat.
slowriot
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:47 pm

puppetworx wrote:I also use Belkin (Razer) Nostromo keypad because I found that the offset of the key rows on a regular keyboard combined with having to arch my hand over lower keys really stresses my hand after a while - brilliant device, even if it is significantly overpriced.

I have one and even forced myself to use it regularly I just could'nt get used to it even after about 50+ hours of use. It got in the way more than it helped. If you have any tips,tricks, or suggestions I would gladly listen to them.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I use WASD for pretty much every game (unless a game calls for a joystick/wheel/gamepad). There are just so many keys surrounding the WASD keys. I don't even think you could play ARMA II with the arrow keys because of how many different keys it uses. Having the keys further away from the mouse makes it more comfortable too (at least if you are right-handed)

The Half-Life and Battlefield key layouts are pretty much my ideal layouts. I really like ARMA's key layout too, but it does take some getting used to.

ESDF makes as much sense as WASD however, I am just more used to WASD. I have heard of some really wonky key layouts though. There was a guy at PCGamer magazine who uses right-click to go forward, spacebar to strafe, etc which sounded completely crazy to me :P
2500K @ 4.5ghz || ASUS P8Z68-V LX || Corsair Vengeance DDR1600 8GB || EVGA GTX660 SC 2GB ||
Topower ZU-550W 550-Watt || M-AUDIO BX5a || Dell U2312HM || Acer H213H || ASUS Xonar DG ||
WDBlack1TB || WDBlack640GB || 2x WDGreen 2TB || Crucial M4 128GB ||
travbrad
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm

I use the numpad and the keys around that for everything. Been doing that as long as I can remember actually. Never did like the WASD. Although I've also used ergonomic keyboards since they came out basically and while the geometry of the alphabet may change, most of them has had a flat numpad. Although this requires you to have space on the table to slide the keyboard to the left. It also gives you space for the joystick between keyboard and mouse without any trouble at all, which is really nice for games like battlefield.

Basically I always remap all the keys in all games to have very similar abilities for the same keys on my keyboard no matter which game I play. Takes more time to initially setup, but makes it a lot easier to switch between several different games within the same genre that would otherwise have different control schemes. Parts of it is basically only moving the segment that is usually WASD and around those straight onto the numpad.

For Example, here is my Battlefield 3 bindings.
/ Use and bipod
* Laser/flashlight
- Prone
+ Reload
Enter Jump
, crouch
0 sprint
8456 movement
7 commo rose
9 melee
1 Equipment(grenade launcher, tugs, etc)
2 Primary weapon
3 Quick grenade

PgUp - Equipment Slot (Medikit, Ammo)
PgDn - Equipment Slot (defib, Mortar)
End - Map Zoom Level

Arrow Right, Secondary Weapon
Arrow Down, Firing Mode
Arrow Up, Large Map
ArrowLeft, PustToTalk

Basically, EVERYTHING you need while actually playing fits within finger distance which is nice. Talk, chat window visability, console and team status all are on the default keys.

For other games, some of the keys get different usage. In crysis I have suit abilities on 1-2, In warframe and Mass Effect, 1-3 and pgdn gets binded to powers/abilities instead. * gets waypoint/nightvision/nanovision and - gets heal/visor if there is no prone for some games. 7 and 9 or 1 and 3 gets lean if that is required depending on if the game has melee at all if you really need them, otherwise end and pgdn.

cynan wrote:If you include the numpad as arrow keys, then yes. Seriously. This makes it particularly annoying when games arbitrarily decide not to let you bind keys such as numpad ENTER (eg, Max Payne 3).

^^ This, so very much. That was the single reason that put me onto autohotkey until they patched mirrors edge.
Last edited by Aphasia on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Different people prefer different keyboard layouts... Some like WASD, some like arrow keys - I used to use the arrow keys for a long time then I switched to WASD.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 pm

I use ESDF for movement and I've converted most of my friends to it as well.

If you use ESDF your left hand is on the home row, also it feels like you have an extra column of keys to use on the left side.
Starscream
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 pm

It must be some kind of misunderstanding. The proper way is ASDLeftALT. That was the original Doom key binding.

I have used that ever since. Why would you want your hand all cramped up into that ridiculous WASD claw? With the ASDLeftALT setup you have room for useful inside keys. I use X for sprint and Z for health in games that support those things. The top layer is open too and I have used W for use for many years. Q and E I keep for lean if it's in the game.

Anyhoo try ASDLeftALT for a more relaxed, and you will find deadly, pattern.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm

I've tried. I got used to ASDF (left, back, forwrd, right) from rogue/hack/empire or some other ancient game and I can't get over it.
223 Fan
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 pm

WASD is long dead, ESDF took over near a decade ago. Gives you more room to move on the left hand side of your hand. otherwise identical. It's simply the smarter choice.
AbRASiON
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 pm

AbRASiON wrote:WASD is long dead, ESDF took over near a decade ago. Gives you more room to move on the left hand side of your hand. otherwise identical. It's simply the smarter choice.

Took over? What do games ship with as defaults these days?
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Airmantharp wrote: What do games ship with as defaults these days?
Something like this, usually.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:22 pm

I always hated using the keyboard. I've been using my trusty Belkin Nostromo for several years and I love it. Can't hardly read the keys on it anymore
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 pm

@ Tanker27 - I have somewhat small hands and so I removed the palm rest. The thumb hits the button above the joystick for run and I programmed the joystick as buttons, straight up is prone. My pinky hits the 11 and 6 key for jump/stand and crouch. Works great for me.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 am

At one time I used werd for q3. I've never felt the need to use anything other than wasd otherwise. I also use a G800V keyboard, which has extra programmable buttons on the side and bottom. There really is no need for me to ever switch off wasd now, because I have more than enough extra buttons, and most fps feel more natural using wasd + shift/ctrl/tab. BTW, I highly recommend this keyboard for gaming, as the extra buttons do come in handy and work well.
l33t-g4m3r
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:41 am

Years ago when we were playing Quake II all nights my friend sold me his secret: lay down your hand comfortably on keyboard and bind the keys your fingers lay on. I got RFEG with pinky on A. This way my wirst lays straight and I dont need to twist any finger. Suddenly my frag count jumped up keeping me always in top three night after night without any hand cramps. I use this combo since then in most games, even some racing and platformers.
i5-4670 | AsRock B85M Pro4 | 8 GB DDR3 1600 CL9 | 128 GB SSD + 2x 160 GB HDD RAID 1 + 1.5 TB HDD | Gentoo Linux
kmieciu
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 am

RFEG with pinky on A.

That does feel oddly comfortable. Dunno how practical it is though.
l33t-g4m3r
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:42 am

AbRASiON wrote:WASD is long dead

You mean how PC gaming is also "dead"?
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:28 am

tanker27 wrote:I have one and even forced myself to use it regularly I just could'nt get used to it even after about 50+ hours of use. It got in the way more than it helped. If you have any tips,tricks, or suggestions I would gladly listen to them.

I'd suggest you stick with it but if it doesn't feel right after a couple hundred hours then it's not for you. It is a big change though and takes some getting used to, it took me a good couple hundred hours of L4D to get fully used to it, but in the end it actually made me a better player which convinced some of my friends to use one too.

A big payoff of using it I've found is that it stresses my hand a lot less and as a result I fatigue a lot slower, this is due to the palm and wrist being taken out of the equation entirely and being allowed to rest while the fingers move in a more natural way and to keys which are positioned closer together. Those are big changes when compared to a normal keyboard, so naturally they will take some time to get used to, especially if like me you've spent thousands of hours gaming on a normal keyboard.

It's not a perfect device despite my ravings. The palm rest could be way more adjustable and I find the thumb buttons to be too far out of reach and awkward so mostly I don't utilize them, a more adjustable palm rest and forward-back adjustable thumb button module would make it a lot better. Despite these shortcomings I still wouldn't switch back to a normal keyboard, I just wish more people manufactured these 'keypads', I see Logitech has one but I've yet to try it.
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:09 am

PenGun wrote:It must be some kind of misunderstanding. The proper way is ASDLeftALT. That was the original Doom key binding.

I have used that ever since. Why would you want your hand all cramped up into that ridiculous WASD claw? With the ASDLeftALT setup you have room for useful inside keys. I use X for sprint and Z for health in games that support those things. The top layer is open too and I have used W for use for many years. Q and E I keep for lean if it's in the game.

Anyhoo try ASDLeftALT for a more relaxed, and you will find deadly, pattern.

Its no more WASD is no different than ASDLeftALT, what are you smoking? With WASD (or ESDF) your middle finger travels WS (or ED), ring and index are staionary. the thumb rests on the spacebar. In fact ASDLeftALT is more uncomfortable for someone with large hands because your thumb is tucked under to reach the ALT button. :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Next

Return to Gaming