Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: BF4 beta + final retail information

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:17 pm

tanker27 wrote:
NINJA EDIT: Oh and if you don't know how to fly please don't! Or at least go on an empty server, or better yet use the TEST RANGE, to learn how to.

That (as well as using excellent new "spectator" mode to study the map and other people's behavior) requires extra effort and thought. Much easier to just hop in a public server, start doing stupid ****, get yelled at, then go whine in various forums and go to nearest shop to buy new CoD instead :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 pm

I, for one, am extremely glad they added the Test Range. Hated how in BF3 I could only learn to fly by being killed over and over while being screamed at by the server for being useless.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
I, for one, am extremely glad they added the Test Range. Hated how in BF3 I could only learn to fly by being killed over and over while being screamed at by the server for being useless.

There were Co-op missions that had you flying :).

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
ChronoReverse wrote:

There was the helicopter one I recall but I think there weren't any plane ones where you're actually flying and not just manning the gun.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:10 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
ChronoReverse wrote:

There was the helicopter one I recall but I think there weren't any plane ones where you're actually flying and not just manning the gun.

No co-op, but the jets were far easier- I unlocked everything for them quickly flying with just the keyboard, like I did in X-Wing back in the day!

And a joystick really helps the jets. Now that the helicopters are damn near user-friendly with mouse and keyboard inputs, I need to get my joystick recalibrated for BF4 :).

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm getting frustrated with constant crashes. I've experienced around a dozen so far and have yet to find what might be a common factor. Game will stop, crash to desktop, the Windows pop up saying your program has stopped working comes up and that's it. Doesn't even impact other applications or have any kind of trigger. It's a remarkably smooth crash honestly, it'd just be great to be able to play a full map.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm

slowriot wrote:
I'm getting frustrated with constant crashes. I've experienced around a dozen so far and have yet to find what might be a common factor. Game will stop, crash to desktop, the Windows pop up saying your program has stopped working comes up and that's it. Doesn't even impact other applications or have any kind of trigger. It's a remarkably smooth crash honestly, it'd just be great to be able to play a full map.

Might try attacking all of the usual suspects related to stability- drivers, overclocks, overheating, OS patches, other programs, etc.

I've had my fair share of crashes too, but not on an every-map basis.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 pm

I can actually replicate the BF4.exe stopped working crash.

When I die If i spam the respawn button (I forget what its called) I'll instantly crash. So now I have trained myself to just click it once.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Just press the spacebar once, and you'll be set to auto-spawn on your selected point as long as it remains available.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Re: BF4 beta information

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 pm

JohnC wrote:
Oh man... That was fast :-?

If this program can produce a clean screenshot then can it also produce a clean video capture?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 am

How would you do a forced client-side video capture?
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 am

JohnC wrote:

Remove "forced." If the user of this program wanted to capture gameplay video but remove the overlay, could they do it? I had read your comment about clean screenshots and was watching a interesting streamer earlier, so the quesiton came to mind.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:19 am

I know I'm not a huge Battlefield fan to begin with but I'm kinda bored of this one already. It's pretty, it's entertaining, and yet it still feels just like BF3 to me.

And no, I wasn't expecting anything else, for the inevitable person asking.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 am

slowriot wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Remove "forced." If the user of this program wanted to capture gameplay video but remove the overlay, could they do it? I had read your comment about clean screenshots and was watching a interesting streamer earlier, so the quesiton came to mind.

I don't know, I never experimented with recording. What was the streamer's name/channel?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Ok I've put in a good bit of time since the game went live last week. But dang it if I didnt run into people last night that were already level 80. How is this possible???

uggg, Assault unlocks are just so painful right now. All I want is the dang M4.......

Also can someone tell me which reticle this is in BF4?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Sooo... yea... Looks like people have finally learned how to use helicopters properly (use engineers to repair it in flight and stay alive even with constant stream of Stingers hitting you):
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ba ... 781759836/

Stinger/Igla buff incoming? :wink:

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm

JohnC wrote:
Sooo... yea... Looks like people have finally learned how to use helicopters properly (use engineers to repair it in flight and stay alive even with constant stream of Stingers hitting you):
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ba ... 781759836/

Stinger/Igla buff incoming? :wink:

We've been doing that since BF:BC2 :). It's the only way to make a transport chopper truly useful, and not having it is a distinct disadvantage for the attack helicopters, which must attack in bursts and then vacate to recharge counter-measures or to land and repair.

The Russian gunship in BF:BC2 was just awful to fight against when this tactic was used!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Yea, but people were not doing it so often even a few days ago... I was actually able to kill stuff with Stinger. Now the Stinger/Igla are just a waste of a gadget slot.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yea, but people were not doing it so often even a few days ago... I was actually able to kill stuff with Stinger. Now the Stinger/Igla are just a waste of a gadget slot.

It takes teamwork to keep a chopper in the air- and it takes teamwork to take a good chopper crew down. One AA unit fires, chopper fires counter-measures, next AA unit locks and fires- if there's three AA units available, having two fire after the counter-measures have abated will kill any aircraft.

Still, one AA unit can force an aircraft to cut and run after firing counter-measures, unless the pilot finds you :).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
it takes teamwork to take a good chopper crew down

In other news, the Earth is not flat and the sun does not rotate around it :wink: There is no "teamwork" without a good "team" and not all of your friends/teammates are available for playing at the times you are able to play. It's also not really wise to force EVERYONE to participate in such closely coordinated activity or to switch to a very specific class if they are already enjoying playing some other class.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 pm

JohnC wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
it takes teamwork to take a good chopper crew down

In other news, the Earth is not flat and the sun does not rotate around it :wink: There is no "teamwork" without a good "team" and not all of your friends/teammates are available for playing at the times you are able to play. It's also not really wise to force EVERYONE to participate in such closely coordinated activity or to switch to a very specific class if they are already enjoying playing some other class.

It's a 'team' game; either your team is accomplishing it's objectives, or everyone on your team is losing :D.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 pm

In other related news, PunkBuster appears to be going crazy:
http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-latest50-bf4-lfb44.html
:o
Noone really knows why is it doing this. Including the users of a popular "aiming assist" framework, who are still happily playing :wink:

I was playing on some pub server earlier, saw like 3 people kicked/banned by PB, all at the same time...

Edit: just looked at the profile of one of the banned persons:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/so ... 5672511/1/
Yeap, definitely a cheater and PB definitely did a proper job :wink: :lol: Oh EA, they will never learn...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Whats aiming assist?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:29 am

This is hilarious! PBBans list keeps getting longer with same exact violation number, the number of related forum posts also continues to grow (25 pages in just a single thread), and all EA can do is spam "we are not responsible for denying you the access to our game, contact EvenBalance" (even though the people who bought BF4 actually paid their money to EA, not EvenBalance):
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/fo ... 526982/25/
:lol:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 am

EA has totally lost it... I've read numerous complaints about BF4 crashing on PS4 - a **** gaming console with a fixed set of hardware and drivers. They have also recently released the patch for PC users, which supposed to fix some of the crashes, however it seems like it made crashing worse for many people:
http://bf4central.com/2013/11/new-battl ... -problems/

Not surprising that I see so many empty servers right now - servers which were constantly full for a few days after the game's release.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 am

Still runnin great for me, just bored with the game. I still play here and there...just kinda waiting for the expansion and to see how it performs with Mantle.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 am

Personally, I dont like any of the maps. However, with a good team some of the maps are very fun. I primarily play Rush and my favorite map right now for that is Parcel Storm. Yes the first two MCOMS are a total pain but with a good team they are extremely doable. Also Meatlocker (as I call it) is very fun, but you have to have a team that's willing to push. Also, while its not very fun for the attacking team, its fun when defenders push back. Yeah sometimes it ends up as a spawn camp.

I have also dabbled with obliteration. And to me its very very fun when you go for the bomb. Dont just sit back and snipe.

But again, I have to agree the maps are uninteresting and I hope the xpac brings some good ones.

One last note is that I must learn how to quickscope and learn to deal better with the netcode.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:01 am

Ehhh... Second Assault is going to be pretty MEH.

Operation Metro 2014? No thanks. What a dumb idea to rehash BF3 maps for a BF4 expansion. Half of the reason anybody bought BF4 was just to get away from BF3's tired maps.

Caspian Border and Firestorm are OK and fit in with most of the larger conquest maps.

At least they're grabbing a BF2 map, Gulf of Oman.

They should have looked to Bad Company 2 for some maps instead of BF3. Valparaiso, Arica Harbor, Laguna Presa and Port Valdez were all excellent maps with well thought-out choke points that made for some intense battles.

That said, I'm looking forward to China Rising. The maps share the tropical look that some of the best BFBC2 maps had. And the Dirtbike from End Game is said to be making a return, which, paired with C4 was my favourite anti-tank tactic in BF3 :).
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2