Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

SimCity developers reconsidering always-online requirement

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:25 am

Just came across this article. This is good news to me since I hate the always online requirements of some games. Living in a rural area, I live on a farm, where the internet does go down for up to several days at a time every now and then you can probably understand why. I hope more developers get the message and follow in their footsteps.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read/ca ... wayso-ncrd

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: SimCity developers reconsidering always-online requireme

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 am

Well, the sales have probably dropped to the level where they feel like this type of DRM isn't necessary anymore...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: SimCity developers reconsidering always-online requireme

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:29 am

Khali wrote:
Just came across this article. This is good news to me since I hate the always online requirements of some games. Living in a rural area, I live on a farm, where the internet does go down for up to several days at a time every now and then you can probably understand why. I hope more developers get the message and follow in their footsteps.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read/ca ... wayso-ncrd
This is ridiculous. I understand saving face and grandstanding, but come on. This game has been a sheer, unadulterated failure in terms of critical and consumer response, despite fair sales.

This is just like if I said the Xbox One's early marketing was "contentious". No it wasn't. It was abhorrent; reviled to the point of complete rejection and all the way back around through satire and parody into the blackest hatred I have ever known for an unreleased appliance.

Always-on requirements (disregarding MMOs and that) are a way of saying "I don't want my product to be successful." Any moron can see this now.