Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Hearthstone

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

Sad to get a pack and disenchant everything. I think I have all the commons and most of the rares now. Of course, many epic and legendary cards still missing.

I was having more trouble winning casual games than rank 17 yesterday. Not many "casual" players in this game.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Anyone besides me having trouble with Shaman decks?

No.

Hawkwing74 wrote:
They just seem so fast. I hate Mana Tide totem!

You need more spells or perhaps a couple Crazed Alchemists. I almost always play a druid, my best rank was 10, and I have entirely different weak points.
Crazed Alchemists instantly kill anything with an Attack of 0.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Meadows wrote:
You need more spells or perhaps a couple Crazed Alchemists. I almost always play a druid, my best rank was 10, and I have entirely different weak points.
Crazed Alchemists instantly kill anything with an Attack of 0.

Oh man. I can't believe I didn't notice that before. That would help a lot with Shamans.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Oh man. I can't believe I didn't notice that before. That would help a lot with Shamans.

Also works wonders against a Shieldbearer, Doomsayer, Alarm-o-bot, or Lightwell. Plus the card's soundbite is evil.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

My best deck is the hunter, with hounds, buzzard, hyena. I have at least 1 of all the hunter cards now.

Does anyone happen to know what the level cap is for each class? Just curious, since it really doesn't affect gameplay.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Current level cap is 60, at which point if you do that with every class you'll have golden versions of all the basic cards.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Level

They've announced a single player "campaign" kind of thing, which sounds interesting.

I think 2v2 and free-for-all (neither of which they've talked about at all that I know of) would also be kind of fun.

I've pretty much completed the silver and blue card collections, got a long way to go on purple and orange...every time I get a pack of cards from Arena rewards it seems like I'm disenchanting 4 at minimum and more often than not, all 5 cards because I already have 2 of each. It's getting to be kind of a grind, but after several hundred games I guess that's to be expected.

It's my first-ever CCG, and it's fun while you discover new stuff. After that, though... I was just hoping I would be better at making a deck by now...I seem to be peaking at rank 15, mostly settling into 16-17 range.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Same exact peak here. I find ranked games frustrating and mostly avoid them now. And it is sad to d/e a whole pack for 40 points. So you need 10 packs d/e'd to get an epic card. Not great.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
After that, though... I was just hoping I would be better at making a deck by now...

Well, what's holding you back? Add me to your friend list and I might be able to give tips, if nothing else.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Oh! I didn't see Meadows' post here, so that's what his PM was about. :lol: i'll get you added next time I'm in the game from my PC

Been playing on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. It runs pretty well at the native resolution of 1280x800 and medium settings. The touch controls seem to work for all the different card mechanics. Now I can hang out on the couch and still play, which is cool. Tried the iOS version on the corporate iPad (which is an iPad 2) and it's sluggish as all get-out, so that wasn't going to be a long-term thing. On this, it's not perfectly 60fps or anything but much more playable.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Fun little distraction, and very portable with the iPad version, but the old nerd in me can't help but see this as Magic The Gathering for Dummies.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:56 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Oh! I didn't see Meadows' post here, so that's what his PM was about. :lol: i'll get you added next time I'm in the game from my PC

Oh yes, I didn't realise you checked the forums once a fortnight. :P

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:01 pm

This thread, I dunno, just didn't see your post (or remember it :p)

jihadjoe wrote:
Fun little distraction, and very portable with the iPad version, but the old nerd in me can't help but see this as Magic The Gathering for Dummies.

In my case it's "baby's first CCG" and in that way it succeeds for me. :D

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Let's do be honest, if it were any more complicated, I would not want to play it. I want a game, not an investment.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I copied a hunter deck I found online and made it to rank 13. I still find the ranked games stressful so I have taken a break from it.

Sometimes in casual you get curbstomped if a speed deck has everything fall together...but I can get my quests done pretty quickly.

"First turn 2 Innervates...really??"

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon May 05, 2014 6:15 am

I'll just leave this here.

lollers. But so true.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:

2 innervates, the coin, and Hogger. :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon May 05, 2014 8:35 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

2 innervates, the coin, and Hogger. :lol:

Once in a while when a particular deck has everything fall just so, I just get annihilated.

tanker27 wrote:
I'll just leave this here.

lollers. But so true.

Very nice.

I really am enjoying the game still but hope Blizzard continues to come out with content for it. Need monk and dk decks, and the adventure mode sounds cool. Also I wish they would make an achievements page. You get achievements but then you can't even see the ones you have or don't have.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu May 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Doh! Unleash the Hounds nerfed.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:11 am

Well, the expansion is out. I like the PvE mode, nice for weak decks which haven't spent real money or earned a lot of cards. The new cards are kind of lackluster to me, and I don't see much use for them in my decks.

I did like Maexxna, though.

Still wish they would give an achievements tab with maybe some more achievements. Can't view your achievements so far, or see which ones you haven't earned.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 pm

So how much of the first expansion do I have to play to get to keep it for free? I beat the first boss but haven't done much else with it yet. Hearthstone is still a solid time sink.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
So how much of the first expansion do I have to play to get to keep it for free? I beat the first boss but haven't done much else with it yet. Hearthstone is still a solid time sink.

Purportedly every new wing will open for 700 gold if you don't feel like paying actual money.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

As far as I know, once you get it, you can keep it... the rest of the wings will cost though.. I've only managed to save up 1100 gold :(

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:23 am

I got lucky and beat the first heroic boss on my first try. He summoned my dinosaur 8/8 due to a deathrattle.

45 HP and his hero ability is summon a 4/4 for 2 mana.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:55 am

So after 5 defeats from Anub I finally defeated him with a low cost druid control deck, all commons, and promptly /facepalmed. Faerlinna was defeated on the first try with the same deck, it wasn't even close. Now Maexxna was a challenge because of the OP hiss ability. For her I played a priest control deck with a Leroy Jenkins, which she always hissed and I would replay. I kept her side of the board full of 1/1 and then just out healed her. Yeah its a gimmick but it worked.

NINJAEDIT: I dont think any of these decks would survive playing a live person. But isn't that always the case in CCGs? I remember early in MTG (I am talking version 1 & 2) there were always those gimmick cards that when played upended some very well constructed decks. (That is until everyone started to get the same cards)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

AcidSnow
Gerbil

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:13 pm

So I'm now hooked on the game!
When I first gave Hearthstone a try 2 months ago I just wasn't in the mood for that sort of game, but a week ago I finally gave it a real good play session, and WOW! I'm really loving the game, but I kind of dislike that other players have cards that I'll never get unless I pay a bunch of money. Sometimes I just roll my eyes :roll: at some of the combos I see my opponent play against me. There's just no way I could know what to expect, and that feels cheap and kind of disappointing.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 am

AcidSnow wrote:
... I kind of dislike that other players have cards that I'll never get unless I pay a bunch of money.

HuH? I have only spent about $20 bucks on decks and that was in beta. I haven't spent a dime since. If you play the daily and weekly quests you will get more gold than you know what to do with. In fact I 'bought' the expansion with gold and still have around 1700 gold left.

Make sure you 'level' all the classes to get the common core cards. Disenchant any cards that are more than 2 and craft what you are missing.

You really don't have to spend actual money. If you struggle at deck building check out icy-veins.com they have decks for just about anything. If you are stuck with mostly commons starting out use the 'low cost control' decks for your preferred class. You'll be surprised at how effective they are against stacked decks with a bunch of uncommons, epics, and legendaries.

But again most important is to play the daily and weekly quests. (these are the ones like, get 5 wins with a priest or paladin.)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

AcidSnow
Gerbil

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Make sure you 'level' all the classes to get the common core cards. Disenchant any cards that are more than 2 and craft what you are missing.
Yeah I've been meaning to look into what crafting stuff, I don't really know how it works yet. So I'll check it out on youtube or something later today. I've been doing the daily challenges, but didn't know about the weekly thing...

I'm kind of beating myself over the head because I started playing Ranked games a few days back, but didn't realize that when I deleted a deck, I lost all my "wins" for that deck. It's almost idiotic that Blizzard doesn't just make it mandatory that you can only have 1 deck per hero, and make it so you can only edit the cards. It makes zero sense to be able to delete a deck and lose those wins. The game's menu design is also awful, so inconsistent, it's like 3 different people individually made each page :o

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 am

When do Warlocks get their nerf? What other class can reset their health to 15 and gain a hero power of summoning a 6/6 AND attacking for 3? The card drawing is broken, they get 8/8 mobs on turn 4. They take huge advantage of Naxx cards with deathrattle. I'm really sick of 50% of my losses being to warlock decks.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 pm

I hope warlocks never get nerfed! MOAR POWERRRR! Anybody know when we get the special October card-back? I played to rank 19 with a modified zoo deck, but nothing really happened, other than a deck or two and some yippee sounds.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
When do Warlocks get their nerf? What other class can reset their health to 15 and gain a hero power of summoning a 6/6 AND attacking for 3? The card drawing is broken, they get 8/8 mobs on turn 4. They take huge advantage of Naxx cards with deathrattle. I'm really sick of 50% of my losses being to warlock decks.

Stop complaining and build a more versatile deck.

Druid "Naturalize", general "Coldlight Murloc", strong charge or medium-strong taunt cards are more than enough to piss off draw-warlocks, if not beat them outright. Also never keep less than 2 board clear spells and 2 minion dispatch spells regardless of what class you play.