Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

WonderTwin01
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Headset that works with Skype and game audio simultaneously?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi I have been looking for a headset that will work with Skype on my laptop while projecting the game audio from my console at the same time. My friends and I use skype on our PCs to communicate while we play on PS3/4. Is there any way I can use any headset to communicate on skype and hear the game audio at the same time? I tried the bluetooth feature on my XP300s and the signal seems to cut in and out and the sound and mic quality is terrible when using skype with the XP300s over bluetooth.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Re: Headset that works with Skype and game audio simultaneou

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 pm

So you're looking to get audio from both your game console and computer at the same time? What I've done in the past is put the console's sound into the line input on my desktop and set it to replay all sound that gets input. I don't know how well it would work for a laptop or mic input however.

In any event you may need something that can accept many inputs and output them to a single source, like a mixer or amp, if you don't use the computer's sound card.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 pm

The V-Moda Crossfade M-100 have a mic option you can buy and can accept inputs from two sources. They are $300 for just the headphones, though.

Adaptive
Gerbil

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:19 pm

You could get one of these and combine your two stereo audio channels (via RCA adapter cables, which are cheap):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

This would work with any headset that uses standard, separate mic/headphone cables.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I've used the Turtle Beach P11 (Newegg) which is a USB headset with analog input and separate volume controls. It's kinda cheap feeling but it's comfortable and audio quality is ok.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:47 pm

If you are just using standard headphone cabling, any "dual headphone" adapter will work fine. It's not perfect, and there's no safety in that if one device breaks, it could break the OTHER device as well. A mixer is the proper solution, but likely as not it's not something you really want to mess with.

Search in Google for 3.5mm splitter and then look until you find the correct m/f combination you need. Here's one you can just click and buy: http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-1-Female-2 ... B0009JFF7U

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 pm

I have a Jabra 410 doing my Skype work, it's a speakerphone, but it's really good about stripping background noise while still sounding good.

I know it's not what you wanted, but I figured I'd mention it in case you decide to compromise.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

WonderTwin01
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm not sure what I will do just yet but its good to know that I have some options here.