Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: PS4 finally arrives

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Waiting for some good games to come out for the system before I plunk down $399. Mass-market COD/BF crap doesn't interest me. Killzone may be fun, but looks like more flash than substance. The Assassin's Creed games have always struck me as silly. And racing games leave me cold. SO....waiting for now.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm

There's nothing silly about fist-fighting the pope over an ancient alien starship, winning, and then using a magical apple to make people's head explode during your escape.

Nope. Nothing. (and that is actually a somewhat inaccurate simplification. The game is even better)

AC2 is awesome. Check it out.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Glorious wrote:
There's nothing silly about fist-fighting the pope over an ancient alien starship, winning, and then using a magical apple to make people's head explode during your escape.

Nope. Nothing. (and that is actually a somewhat inaccurate simplification. The game is even better).

That's half of the last act of A Canticle for Leibowitz.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Well I got a nice bonus from work a couple weeks ago (our year end bonus is actually year-start bonus) and I was good about keeping Christmas off the credit cards (so no big bills to pay) so we got a PS4 today. I got Black Flag and Tom Braider along with it since the local Gamestop had both of them used. Since I was paying attention to PS+ games-of-the-month, I also have everything they've been giving away for the system. Resogun in particular looks really fun. That should keep me interested until Second Son (which I'm REALLY looking forward to) and The Show, which will come in early May and I can't wait to play. All I've done so far is set it up and update the firmware and start some downloads, but it seems like a pretty slick little system.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:41 pm

The ESO beta for PS4 and Xbone will be along very soon. Sign up here:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/beta

Amazing fun, I have been having a blast, PvP is hilarious.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 am

Tomb Raider was *awesome* but I kind of consumed the whole thing in about 2 days. From Friday night to Sunday afternoon I went through the whole story and finished with a 74% completion rate. Wickedly fun, the puzzles were clever enough that the answer wasn't always obvious, and the "survival instinct" was enough to give me clues about what I got stuck on. I'm woefully late to this party, I know.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Tomb Raider was *awesome* but I kind of consumed the whole thing in about 2 days. From Friday night to Sunday afternoon I went through the whole story and finished with a 74% completion rate. Wickedly fun, the puzzles were clever enough that the answer wasn't always obvious, and the "survival instinct" was enough to give me clues about what I got stuck on. I'm woefully late to this party, I know.

I've put about 10 hours into the game and I'm probably 10% through it. I gave up on Tomb Raider months ago due to it being too frustrating to find out what to do next. I ended on that mission where you the blonde guy who gets shot is sitting by the fire and Lara runs off to find him medicine or something. I ended up running in circles indefinitely.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm

The "survival instincts" mechanic (L1 on the PS4 controller) shows you a waypoint that's where you need to get to in order to reach your destination. At that point you don't have any of the cool climbing toys, so it's just a matter of climbing on what you can reach. She hasn't even figured out that she can use the pickaxe as a climbing tool. btw you're looking for a wolf cave to find the radio pack in the scene you just talked about

I just realized that this game plays a lot like the Batman Arkham games with its detective mode and open area to find tools to get you to other areas. Maybe that's why I liked it so well. Plus going in with nothing but a bow and arrow is sweet, sweet fun.