I Do Headshots - BF Montage

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

I Do Headshots - BF Montage

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:14 pm

After weeks of editing - mixing & remixing music, complex compositing, subtle color correction, and mastering - I finished this montage.

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome :)

(I recommend the HTML5 player for youtube as Flash significantly alters the audio from source: youtube.com/HTML5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNwMgAXh9VM
LastQuestion
Gerbil In Training

Re: I Do Headshots - BF Montage

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:19 pm

F*n frightening. Bad ass, though, nice work!
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner.
drsauced
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 pm

sry man, song ruins it

post one without it
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU | MX518 | Win 7 Home SP1 | Sennheiser HD 280 PRO |
SoM
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 am

SoM wrote:sry man, song ruins it

post one without it

Was it the entire mix you didn't like? Even Masta Blasta, the track at the end?
LastQuestion
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 am

that's the problem, closed the vid after about 10 Hshots

sry
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU | MX518 | Win 7 Home SP1 | Sennheiser HD 280 PRO |
SoM
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:18 am

I think the video just displays how poor the net code is in BF. Some of those shots were around corners and also in the case of the hand gun where the reticle was way off center of the target. I guess those that adapt do well. But dang it the code needs to be better. :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:46 am

post one without it

Yar
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1638mhz
GTX 970 @ 1465 | BenQ 24" 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB | 2x2TB Toshiba | Win 8.1 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:09 am

post one without it

Turn your sound off?
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 am

Not my musical style, but I liked it. Lots of effort went into the video to get stuff to line up with the beat, which I really appreciate. I can tell you worked really hard on it and the end result is very good.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 am

Sargent Duck wrote:

post one without it

Turn your sound off?

won't hear the gun shots :p
SoM
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm

SoM wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:

post one without it

Turn your sound off?

won't hear the gun shots :p

Please take your jackassery somewhere else, thanks.

I really enjoyed watching the video- the cuts were done quite well and the framerate transitions served to keep the focus on the blood spraying out of your victims' heads :). And I actually liked the music.

As for the headshotting in general- that's the stuff we used to do in Counter-Strike with Scouts and Desert Eagles. In BF:BC2/BF3/BF4, we play Hardcore, which makes it a bit more difficult! Still, I regularly get complains when shooting from the hip with my current rifle; no crosshairs, no sights, just straight up run-and-gun from the hip with a bolt-action :-p.

And I think you need to figure out how to include a parody reference when you do your BF4 video- BOOM HEADSHOT!
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Didn't mind the music at all, very well done.

How many hours of playing did it take to accumulate all those?
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.
Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 pm

tanker27 wrote:I think the video just displays how poor the net code is in BF. Some of those shots were around corners and also in the case of the hand gun where the reticle was way off center of the target. I guess those that adapt do well. But dang it the code needs to be better. :-?

To be fair, I capped this footage at 30fps, while running at 45-60fps, so there's a lot of missing frames. And unless youtube has changed things, it streams video at 30fps even if the u/l is higher than this. I also have a GTX 570, which has frame latencies higher than newer cards.

Some of it is netcode, but much of it is just missing frames. For most of the shots though things are lined up if only for one brief frame. Also, weapons have bullet drift when suppressed and in some games, I'm not certain with BF3, the bullets don't go to the crosshairs while hipfiring but where the guns muzzle is pointed. When 'from the hip' the muzzle is rarely pointed in the center of the crosshairs. This is most obvious when looking at the location of the laser dot from the rifle, frame by frame.

I didn't bother finding out whether BF3s mechanics do, in fact, work precisely in that way, but I think that is the case. At least, until you get suppressed ><
LastQuestion
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm

SoM wrote:that's the problem, closed the vid after about 10 Hshots

sry
Prestige Worldwide wrote:

post one without it

Yar

To be honest, I remixed the song because it is...well, I remixed it for a reason. In fact, I was considering cutting it out.

The start of the remix is the same as the original track. My alterations later on are significant, but the remix is not dramatically different from the original, so I won't ask anyone to give it a second chance.

However, if you two, and anyone else disliking the music, don't mind would you take the time to let me know what you think of the mix from 2:10, which is where the next two tracks begin If they suck skip directly to 3:05, which transitions to the last track, Masta Blasta. To me, that's where the video starts to shine and I'm quite curious how mindful I need to be in selecting music for future projects.
LastQuestion
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Convert wrote:Didn't mind the music at all, very well done.

How many hours of playing did it take to accumulate all those?

I capped it all in March, and didn't have time to edit until recently, so my memory is a little hazy. I recall spending maybe two weeks capping footage? Wait, could do an estimate with some math. Its 1.4TB of footage with an bitrate that's, on average 200Mbps, so that's 16 hours of gameplay. It'd been over a year since I'd played BF3, and hadn't been gaming much. I was really out of practice.
LastQuestion
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg
clone
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 pm

I personally didn't mind the music too much, though I would have preferred the gunshot sounds to be just a little louder, so they stand out better.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count
lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Like some other ppl said, I don't really like teh music. But that is a purely subjective thing :wink: So yea, whatever music you will chose - someone will ALWAYS dislike it. Be it either "Doomsday" by Nero, "Divine moments of Truth" by Shpongle or "Ride of the Valkyries" by Wagner :wink:

tanker27 wrote:I think the video just displays how poor the net code is in BF. Some of those shots were around corners and also in the case of the hand gun where the reticle was way off center of the target. I guess those that adapt do well. But dang it the code needs to be better. :-?

Has nothing to do with net code but everything to do with video recording and extra delay and stuff like dropped frames it introduces. Try to record your own OR watch some BF3/BF4/CS:GO (ESPECIALLY CS:GO) streams on Twitch.tv, you'll see the same exact thing.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Many years ago I played a lot of Q3 and for a short time was good enough to score snap headshots maybe 80% of the time. I mean you run past me and I spin and shoot without aiming and kill you, a snapshot.

It's another level and I've never been there since but it's quite real.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Also, showing off random headshots alone is rather boring for majority of people, whether they play the same game or not. Do not be afraid to be more creative with your vids. Speaking of Q3, it reminded me of a very good "creativity" example. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG6IGM53Kl0
Watch it all. This video is very old (made around 2003) so don't mind the low quality graphics and visual effects/editing (which was actually pretty good at that time).
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 pm

I remember doing that crap in CS- sadly, BF isn't a high-performance game in that sense, so it's more of a luck thing, and definitely not nearly as many headshots.

And since they gave Recon C4 in BF4 and let you carry a 12G as a secondary, well, engagements tend to be either at a distance, or up close and personal :).

(fear the wookie, tank drivers!)
Canon 6D|24-105/4L IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|24/2.8 IS USM|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm an avid BF montage viewer, but i really couldn't take take video. The music, and the lack of change in pace and scope made it too long for what it was.

Ohh, quake, that was a long time ago. Although I always prefered Action Quake 2 having the best out of both quake and a more grounded type of game. Not to mention I could be competitive on a high level there wheras pure Quake was... hard...!

Airmantharp - At least the recon has so much more use now, for all playstyles, close quarter forward recon either 3.4x sniper or carbine/shotty. Heck the map design even made em useful when sniping at some levels. In bf3 it was nerfed to being a quite unusable on most vehicle maps thanks to no vehicle offensive capabilities themselves.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:43 pm

They were 'nerfed' as a solo class in BF3, sure- but they were the only ones with the SOFLAM, which was devastating on said vehicle maps, and were the only class that could truly reach out and 'touch' you 8). An active SOFLAM operator and a crew of engineer and support types could fairly well deny most of a map to enemy vehicles.

It's much the same way that BF3 tightened-up squad-level play, which along with individually selected perks that affected the whole squad, tended to rebut 'rambo' types and funneled people into cooperative play, which was a definite break from what they'd done in BF:BC2.

BF4 tends to do both- you have a break in squad play that's facilitated by the vast increase in equipment possibilities in the disparate classes, yet you have larger squads, larger rewards for cooperation between squad members, squad leaders and their squads, and commanders and the squad leaders. Further, the commander can be one hell of a game changer.

Along with better graphics and the melding of BF2/BC2-style loadouts with BF2/BF3/Close Quarter's-style open areas and tight quarters, and the return of BC2-style destruction, players can choose to either work together to amplify each others' capabilities, or to go lone wolf and 'hunt'.

Hell, they did two things that really help- the new 'squad levels' system that allows individuals to choose which set of perks they prefer but restricts them until the whole squad gains experience for a round, maintaining them only as long as at least one member of the squad remains alive, encourages players to squad-up without penalizing the newer players by alienating them with their lack of 'squad perks' as in BF3. The new VOIP system also seems to work fairly well, not that it's much used (yet). As more people get familiar with the commander role, however, expect that to be a game-changer.
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Nah, they were nerfed as an anti-vehicle class in total. And to be honest, soflam was pretty much a joke for a LONG time after release. But yeah, it could be very effective, but so could a tank with a laser guy or soflamming scout.

I've been trying to play as commander, but people just dont know how to accept an order, after tons of talking on voice or writing in chat, you might get a single accept or two, even on rush with a single target left people doesnt accept or put out orders. Those commander ribbons will easily be the hardest ones to get. With friends there is a difference, but then, we win so fast I need high ticket servers to have a chance. And for some reason, people have a hard time getting the game modes, I dont know if it's the matchmaking that put people where they dont belong, but I've been playing some obliteration and the times people take the bomb and run back to the own base is just... weird. Either people just are that stupid, or they think it's something else entirely.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

People are stupid, there's no getting around that.

A person can be smart, though :). But how to educate the 'masses' on accepting orders... yeah. They seriously just have to hold down Q. The options appear. Hell, you can double-tap Q as a squad leader to designate objectives, no futzing around with the cursor!

Which highlights why I joined a community, and stay active. We have our own server (usually more than one, game's new) for BF and a collection of other games, and we use Ventrilo successfully, particularly when running matches of our own, or when pubbing as a group.
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Airmantharp wrote:Further, the commander can be one hell of a game changer.

Indeed. Even if your orders aren't accepted, simply providing information via UAVs is a game-changer.
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Return to Gaming