BF4 GPU Suggestions

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:51 pm

What Graphics Card do you use to run BF4 and how is it working out for you?

How are your temps when running the game?
JawesomeArt
Gerbil
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Been running a Gigabyte Windforce 7950 @ 1000/1400 with temps being frosty (probably never gets past 70c even though fanspeed also never goes above 50-60%).

I pair it with an i7-4770k@4.3GHz in Windows 8.1 on a 1920x1200 monitor.

As long as I don't use MSAA, I can run Ultra and average 60FPS.

I play at 125% resolution (basically SSAA) with some settings at Ultra and others at low (in order to reduce visual clutter while I'm playing) and this pushes my FPS high enough that I never see it drop below 60FPS (vsynced).
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:40 pm

JawsomeArt what CPU will it be paired with?
A 7950 is an excellent recommendation, but if you have something like an FX-4xxx or Core2 as a CPU it would be overkill.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T
TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:35 pm

'm running a GTX660 Asus DIRECTCU II on High settings. In SQDM it will run 60 - 70 FPS and about 55-65 on the big Conquest maps. Great card, 1150 mhz and mid 50's temps all day long.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 pm

i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15487
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:51 am

JawesomeArt wrote:What Graphics Card do you use to run BF4 and how is it working out for you?

How are your temps when running the game?


Stock Asus 280X Direct CU II with temps never exceeding 70ºC and fan speed never climbs more than 25%. Paired with a i5 3570K @ 4.2 with 8GB of RAM, Ultra Specs and V Sync on, occasional drops to 50 frames in fat explosions :wink:
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:17 am

Seriously....you guys play with Ultra on?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7291
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:22 am

tanker27 wrote:Seriously....you guys play with Ultra on?


At 1080p yes. Higher resolutions need lots of graphical power to drive 60 fps. For 300€ it's not a bad deal. The 7970Ghz/280X/770 are at a similar performance level.
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 am

Let me rephrase that.....Do you play multiplayer with Ultra on?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7291
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:53 am

I play with High and AA Deferred OFF @ 1080p, single GTX 670.

Would rather have a higher, smoother framerate for a seamlessly smooth experience than slightly shinier visuals. Usually around 90FPS.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 am

tanker27 wrote:Let me rephrase that.....Do you play multiplayer with Ultra on?


Yes, with 64 players. Why do you ask?
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 am

I have tried to run low settings by the video appears to run smoother on higher settings to me. I also hate the "popping up' of things as move toward them and the sudden shifting of things like rocks and boulders when running low settings. This gives me a headache on long sessions. I have run low settings and I don't notice any difference gameplay wise between low and ultra as long as your computer can handle it. If the CPU or GPU gets bogged down it can then cause lag that results in might get you "killed". I have read that the "pros"always play on low settings. The only advantage I've been able to see is when walls aren't filled in and you can see players in the un-scoped mode (the walls will appear as you scope up or get closer). It can be an advantage when you are a sniper doing counter sniping at long range and you opponent is hiding in a bush.
For me with BF4 high settings produces a consistent frame rate and nice visuals.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:48 am

Pville_Piper wrote:I have tried to run low settings by the video appears to run smoother on higher settings to me. I also hate the "popping up' of things as move toward them and the sudden shifting of things like rocks and boulders when running low settings. This gives me a headache on long sessions. I have run low settings and I don't notice any difference gameplay wise between low and ultra as long as your computer can handle it. If the CPU or GPU gets bogged down it can then cause lag that results in might get you "killed". I have read that the "pros"always play on low settings. The only advantage I've been able to see is when walls aren't filled in and you can see players in the un-scoped mode (the walls will appear as you scope up or get closer). It can be an advantage when you are a sniper doing counter sniping at long range and you opponent is hiding in a bush.
For me with BF4 high settings produces a consistent frame rate and nice visuals.


Yeah, i agree that pro players should play with low settings for the sake of smoothness and less distracting visual features but, I'm no pro. I like to enjoy the visual fidelity of games first and have a pleasant experience on top of trying to be number one :P
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: BF4 GPU Suggestions

Postposted on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:16 am

Jon1984 wrote:Yeah, i agree that pro players should play with low settings for the sake of smoothness and less distracting visual features but, I'm no pro. I like to enjoy the visual fidelity of games first and have a pleasant experience on top of trying to be number one :P

Exactly.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm


Return to Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests