Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

If you though "cheating in multiplayer PC games is bad"...

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Well, on consoles it can actually be much, much worse. You might lose more than the price of the game itself if you accidentally join the online match with cheaters on your Xbox One:
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comment ... in_hacked/
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

f0d
Gerbil XP

Re: If you though "cheating in multiplayer PC games is bad".

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 pm

wasnt you the one who admitted to cheating in online games a little while ago?

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Well, judging from that first post, all he lost was the price of the game. And the second copy of the game.

I highly doubt Infinity Ward can ban people from Xbox Live. I'd certainly never buy anything of theirs again if that happened to me.
Meow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 am

That was "she", actually :wink: And yes, she did got somewhat "lucky" by only losing access to the CoD account, but Microsoft can easily issue a permanent hardware ban for each console for any reason, including "disrupting the service or impacting the users", and according to Microsoft's own statements all bans are non-reversible and "Customer Support for Xbox Live cannot undo a suspension or ban for a console".

Savyg wrote:
I highly doubt Infinity Ward can ban people from Xbox Live

I believe all bans/suspensions are issued by Xbox Live service regardless of the game or developer. If you'll read up more comments in the link, this is basically what that person was told by both developer and publisher.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 am

Because cheating in MP on consoles involves hacking the hardware/software. You are technically violating TOS for Xbox Live and PS Online. It is no different from hacking a console in order to play "pirated" games and you get caught red-handed.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

LostCat

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:47 am

JohnC wrote:
but Microsoft can easily issue a permanent hardware ban for each console for any reason.

But they didn't, so it's kind of irrelevant in this case.

Either way you'll be happy to know my plans to get an X1 are on hold anyway...I'd rather have Mantle, though I still want one at some point. Just started the build, waiting on Kaveri.
Meow.

Kougar

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:36 am

Welcome to the joys of a closed ecosystem!

I find it a little incredulous that hacking would be SO prevalent that 3 lobbies in a row would be hacked games. Taking the post at face value, if I was guessing I'd say whatever hack the first lobby used was carried over to anyone that joined it, and when they joined a new lobby they inadvertently transferred the hack with them?

If that sounds far fetched, it's really not. Anyone that plays TF2 on Steam should have noticed that when joining a VAC secured, but modded server, sometimes the mods are not unloaded when the player joins a different server. It can result in all sorts of odd glitches or a crash when it happens.

There's also precedent with consoles, a la http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/10 ... ge-attack/ where poor game programming was to blame.... could just be the same with Ghosts.