Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

GOG.com Winter Sale special "gift" offers

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:21 am

So GOG.com is having their winter sale (and if you somehow didn't see the news article, the first 2 Fallouts + Fallout Tactics are free right now), and part of the sale is a daily choice of three special sale items. One old game, one new game, and one random game. The trick is, you don't get to see the games before you choose.

This sucks.

I might have wanted one of the games, or maybe even two of them, but I don't really want the game I got a deal for. It would be one thing if they showed you three deals and only let you have one of them, but they don't show you the deals, and that means potential customers are not getting the chance to get deals they would pay for, and that means GOG.com is making less money.

My idea is that we post the deals they offer us, and if it turns out that they are offering the same deals to everyone then readers of this thread will know which of the three options to pick, more people will get games they want, and GOG.com will make more money.

I picked the modern game on day 1, and it offered me Reus for $2.49.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: GOG.com Winter Sale special "gift" offers

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:34 am

With a half hour to go in Day1 I got offered Spacechem for $1.99. Boo. edit: that was the "new" game option.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:37 am

That shouldn't have been the classic game, so was it the modern one or the random one?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 am

Oh, sorry, I picked Brave New World (the middle option). I was trying to see if we'd all get offered the same thing.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:40 am

Damn. That's my whole idea out the window.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:44 am

I'm following this deal as it was posted over on SlickDeals, and the special offers seem to revolve around three separate offers for each of the three special sales. One is a discount coupon for a percentage off, another a free older game and the third random.
GoG is obviously not making anything on these 'free' deals, so I just hope the publicity from this giveaway sends some traffic their way for DRM-free game deals. So far, the vibe is quite negative due to their website being bombarded by everyone looking for free games and numerous posts detailing these freebies on every hot deal website on the web.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:52 am

Gah. It seems like they're doing a super awesome thing, but presenting it so badly that it's coming out as a negative for them.

I think I'll pick the Timeless Classic for the next round.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:10 am

#FirstWorldProblems
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:46 am

For day 2, after about 40 minutes of not working, the Classic option gave me Deus Ex 2: Invisible War for $2.49.

bthylafh wrote:
#FirstWorldProblems

#GoCrapInSomeoneElse'sThread

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:57 am

bthylafh wrote:
#FirstWorldProblems

#QFT

Seriously, these are super deals on games, and the games are DRM-free. Just enjoy what you get, and if you have no interest in the deal that pops up, try again tomorrow. Treat it like a scratch off lottery ticket or McDonald's Monoply event, only realize that you don't actually have to spend money to win something.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 am

Melvar wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
#FirstWorldProblems
#GoCrapInSomeoneElse'sThread

You're whining like an entitled child on the Internet, so don't be surprised when you get called on it. GOG doesn't owe you anything.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 am

bthylafh wrote:
You're whining like an entitled child on the Internet, so don't be surprised when you get called on it. GOG doesn't owe you anything.

How is trying to organize a forum thread to encourage buying from GOG.com somehow an act against them? I don't think they thought this promotion through very well, so I'm trying to work this out so that they get more sales, and more people get games they want. I'll grant you that this is a first world pursuit, but I do live in the first world. I'm not railing against the tyranny of getting a game for discount, I'm just trying to spread information.

If you aren't going to contribute, please don't stand in the way.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:25 am

Trying to decide when to bring out the #FirstWorldProblem hashtag is also a #FirstWorldProblem. The hashtag itself is a #FirstWorldProblem since that means someone's crying on the internet about someone else crying on the internet. There's no moral high ground with a #FirstWorldProblem hashtag, just a smug feeling of moral superiority. ;)

So now that it's day 2 I clicked the old classic deal and got offered Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. Hellz yeah, I'll take that.

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 am

Well, it's pretty clear that my original idea is a bust. You get what you get, not what everyone else gets. It's too bad, because I think they would sell more games if people knew what they could get. Still, it's a great site that deserves support.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Trying to decide when to bring out the #FirstWorldProblem hashtag is also a #FirstWorldProblem. The hashtag itself is a #FirstWorldProblem since that means someone's crying on the internet about someone else crying on the internet. There's no moral high ground with a #FirstWorldProblem hashtag, just a smug feeling of moral superiority. ;)

Well done, and I agree. We all love to feel superior to others.

ShadowTiger
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm

It would be interesting to know how many people buy a random game just because it is on sale. I personally wont buy anything thats not on my wishlist... because well, those are all the games that I want. If they made a random coupon for something on my wishlist... now that would lead to lots of sales!

I chose classic twice and got
Battle Realms... which I was tempted to pick up because of its interesting multiclass system but decided I would never play it.
Hitman Absolution: which I passed on.

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:39 pm

I chose the "timeless classics" and was offered Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which I had never heard of, but it gets a 9.2 from Ign, 85 from metacritic and otherwise positive reviews.

the price was 2.49 (75% 0ff).

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 pm

ShadowTiger wrote:
It would be interesting to know how many people buy a random game just because it is on sale. I personally wont buy anything thats not on my wishlist... because well, those are all the games that I want.

I've bought quite a few games because of sales like these. Even for a dollar or two I won't buy a game I don't think I'll ever play, but if it looks good and the price is right I'll get a game I've never heard of before. Being DRM free helps loosen my wallet, because that's something I really want to support.

Of course, I now have a backlog of about 35 games that I own but haven't even started up for the first time.