Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What are you playing right now?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm

A Wizard's Lizard, a cutesy hardcore 2d perma death roguelike 2d fantasy shoother. Phew! Man, this game is *hard*. It makes Megaman look like a walk in the park and Binding of Isaac look like a regular mugging instead of waking up chained to a drainpipe with a hacksaw and a cellphone next to you. Lots of fun, though. Starts off deceptively easy, then gradually pulls the rug out from under you.

Also playing The Banner Saga, gorgeous viking-style SRPG (strategic RPG) with humans and giants vs mysterious stone-like antagonists. Think XCOM/Master of Magic turn based combat, only without save scumming and with almost no dice rolls (damage is based entirely on stats, and to-hit is automatic unless your strength is not high enough to overcome the enemy's armor). Great game with hauntingly beautiful artwork and gorgeous atmosphere.

Lastly, playing Legend of Dungeon, another roguelike, this time a 2.5D dungeon delve with pixel art and randomly generated items, with a fabulous lighting engine to boot. Also, the game has unicorns. that. shoot. rainbows. out. their. asses. Epic. Oh, and you can find William Shatner's face and wear it as a mask. Whatever the devs are on, I want it.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ElizaMed
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:21 am

Medieval Battle. An optimal strategy for me at the moment: engaging and fun but not requiring much commitment.
academmedia.com/en/apps/medieval_battle

frayne
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 am

There is only one I'm playing assassin's creed unity companion when I'm in my pc.

Pez
Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:12 am

Hammering Dragon Age: Inquisition & Elite: Dangerous currently

My sleep pattern is beginning to suffer somewhat...
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 am

TeS:Skyrim. I have always played as a battle mage in any similar game, but my inner Legolas has now been released, and I take great pleasure out of those 2x sneak attack ebony arrows to the head that I can now deftly deliver with ease. I have two followers that specialize in up close bashing (Mjoll the Lioness and Erandur), so I just snipe away while they dish out the up close and personal damage.

I've also managed to smith and craft like mad, to the point that I can empty the pockets of almost all vendors selling goods in each town. I am diverting from the main quest at this point, slowing down to fill in lots of miscellaneous side quests, and I haven's even gotten into any Dark Brotherhood quests yet, which is generally regarded as some of the best quests the game has to offer. I still remain a goody two shoes, and have refrained from killing any NPCs to acquire any special daedric weapons, going so far as to reload from previous saves if things don't go well.

I'd say this is the best $5 I have ever spent on a game. With less than 100 hours invested, I can see myself getting 300-400 hours out of this game if I really want to explore the entire world.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

superjawes

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 am

Finally got around to Spec Ops: The Line. Play this game. It isn't fun (it isn't supposed to be), but it delivers a great story on one hand and blistering criticism of most modern military shooters on the other.

I've only been through once so far, but it's definitely worth going through at least twice, if not more.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 am

Right now I am playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

So far it's my favorite of the series; though AC2 was pretty good as well. Both are much better than the original game in my opinion. A lot more variety in terms of missions - I liked that many of the assassinations actually required strategy and stealth, rather than just letting you run in and slash like a maniac. I also liked that running in and slashing like a maniac wasn't completely removed from the game.

I liked that my master-assassin wasn't doomed by falling into water. I liked that his voice actor actually sounded like the rest of the people in the game environment.

I didn't care for the "truth" puzzles all that much. The encryption wheel ones were at least interesting, but the ones where you have to line up the layers to see a picture were annoying more than anything.

The only thing I'm not liking about AC:B so far is the timed obstacle courses. For one thing, I like to poke around in the various catacombs and that's harder to do when you're running like crazy. And they just don't make a lot of sense from a game/story perspective. There is no reason why, after ignoring the secret base for weeks, I should need to get through it in under eight minutes. Mostly, I'm just not good at jumping puzzles :roll:

LostCat

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:28 am

Just loaded up Dying Light on the X1. Hot damn that looks amazing. Plays good too of course.

I'm only a little bit into it but I'm very much enjoying it so far.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Way back when it was new, I bought Leviathan Warships, played a bit, and then promptly forgot about it. I reinstalled it and I've been playing the campaign and it's a lot of fun. I'm alternating between that and Valkyria Chronicles, which is a great port of an even better game.

cphite wrote:
Right now I am playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

AssBro was my second AC game, after playing Black Flag. I still don't understand the whole Assassins vs. Templars in the real world storyline, and apparently it's a direct sequel to AC2 for the historical story, but none of that bothered me. It was good fun.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:10 pm

Been plugging away at Divinity: Original Sin for 2 weeks now. Absolutely love that game. It combines most of the best of Baldur's Gate, Magicka and XCOM: UFO Unknown into a fantasy setting. Its the best game I've played on PC in a long while, and definitely worth every penny of the $23 I spent on it. Here's hoping Larian makes a dozen equally awesome sequels.

BTW, just a tip: When starting, it is way more fun to have your main characters be spellcasters. Way more elemental reactions and all that goodness. You can easily (and should) multispec your characters, but having them start as spellcasters makes it easier. Firing off a fireball into a pool of oil or poison is way more satisfying than doing a regular melee attack at close range.
Last edited by southrncomfortjm on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Voldenuit wrote:

Also playing The Banner Saga, gorgeous viking-style SRPG (strategic RPG) with humans and giants vs mysterious stone-like antagonists. Think XCOM/Master of Magic turn based combat, only without save scumming and with almost no dice rolls (damage is based entirely on stats, and to-hit is automatic unless your strength is not high enough to overcome the enemy's armor). Great game with hauntingly beautiful artwork and gorgeous atmosphere.

Looking forward to Banner Saga going on sale for $5 on Google Play since I'll buy it at that price. $10 is too rich for my taste when I'm not in a rush to buy it since I'm playing XCOM: Enemy Within on my phone and have Baldur's Gate II in reserve (Got XCOM for $7 and BG2 for $5). Both Android ports are mostly excellent - XCOM is basically the exact same game as on PC, just with lower graphics.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:06 pm

I started playing Heroes of the Storm in 'closed' beta. (Closed is in quotes because you can buy into the beta and get some characters along with it, or get one of the 93842342 free keys that are out there.) I had never played a moba before, although I was vaguely aware of some of the terminology and the very basics of gameplay. It seems pretty cool so far, there are a lot of different characters that have some similarities but a lot of uniqueness too. The team aspect of it is nice, although I can't compare to other moba-style games, but I am definitely aware that the moba communities can be among the worst in gaming, and that says a lot. The team aspect of the game cuts down on a lot of this. I'll see if it continues to keep me wanting to play when the newness wears off.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:11 am

Thanks for those who suggested Banner Saga. I bought this yesterday and am enjoying so far.

I needed a break from WoW garrison drudgery and Hearthstone.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 am

I'm finally trying Minecraft. When I'm not doing that, I'm working through Super Mario RPG.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

superjawes

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 am

bthylafh wrote:
I'm finally trying Minecraft. When I'm not doing that, I'm working through Super Mario RPG.

Impressive...for not having played Minecraft until now AND for picking an excellent older title.

I'm still playing Smite, and I've been toying with The Escapists. I really hope they expand on this idea. The core systems are pretty solid--albeit a bit unforgiving so you don't just plow through all the prisons. I think this game would work well with multiplayer, it could be expanded into a general suvival/escape simulator, and I would really like to play from the guards' perspective.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:07 am

mattshwink wrote:
Fallout 3: New Vegas

Good choice! I had a lot of fun with that one, much better than the Bethesda made Fallout 3 IMHO.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:48 am

Last night fired up the classic - Alien Shooter - Zerg attack was overwhelming 8)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:25 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Super Mario RPG.

This was Nintendo and Squaresoft's final love letter to the SNES. I really enjoyed it back in The Day.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:28 am

So I've been playing Evolve since release, are any of you guys or gals doing the same? It would be great to have some people to play with aside form randos on the internet.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:45 am

Currently I am in MMO mode and have been spending time with Eve Online and World of Tanks.

I did a play through and started several characters in DA Inquisition but the game has some issues I just got tired of dealing with. Issues beyond control problems I mean. For example, you can never fully repair the castle, or if your character is a straight male or female you have really limited love interest prospects compared to the Homo/Lesbian/Bi options. Really limits role play value. No I'm not trying to drag this thread into a political/life style debate. Just stating a fact about the game.

I tried to make another run through Skyrim but I have pretty much "been there, done that" to death.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:58 am

Just picked up dying light after watching some lets plays. So far it looks really good, but havent got very far in it so far to really try it out yet.

Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:21 pm

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when I'm AFK, working on DXHR / Transistor / Tomb Raider / Batman: Arkham Asylum when I'm not goofing off in Minecraft
powerNode: node 304, 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, EVGA GTX 980+ROG Swift, ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:18 pm

Besiege came across my radar yesterday. I bought it on the spot and played a bajillion hours in one sitting. It's a really fun game if you're the mechanically inclined type. It reminds me of Kerbal Space program, only in this you're actually supposed to blow stuff up. First alpha early access game I've bought since DayZ, unlike DayZ this game has a lot of polish to it already and the core of it seems to be there. Best £5 I've spent on a game in ages.

alrey
Gerbil

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 am

grim dawn :)

superjawes

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 am

Want to play an Ubisoft game that doesn't suck? Pick up Grow Home for $8. You play as a robot trying to grow this plant 2000 meters high. The core of the game involves jumping and climing, and as you collect crystals, you gain better abilities to navigate the landscape.

I think a couple of Youtubes have checked it out, so there should be gameplay footage available, but it is a lot of fun playing yourself.

EDIT: I should also add that you can get this from Steam without requiring UPlay. It also looks like it is available on the Humble store as well.

kvndoom

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:33 am

Battleheart Legacy on ipad the past week or so. It starts hard because you're woefully weak and vulnerable, but once you pass the tipping point with skills and gear, most areas are laughably easy. The controls are top notch for a mobile game.

The fact that your character is classless and you can approach the game many different ways makes it really fun. You can use skills, armor, and weapons from any profession, and your effectiveness depends on how you use your stat points. My hybrid melee character is super effective at the arena, my record being around 250 kills so far.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:36 pm

Far Cry 4 on the PS3.

I love the setting; you don't see many Himalayan games. The engine and controls are almost identical to Far Cry 3, so if you liked that you should like this - if you didn't, you might not. Vehicle control is better.

In some ways it's very similar... you have the thing where you reprogram radio towers to reveal the map and gain access to new weapons; you have to clear camps to make the surrounding areas less threatening. You have various critters trying to eat you - the eagles are a pain in the ass.

You also have the same thing where you have to kill animals and use their skins to make various items - wallets, ammo pouches, holsters, etc. I get that it's a game mechanic but I still find it silly that you can only make specific items out of specific skins, and that you can't just buy a frikkin' wallet or bag somewhere. Seems cheesy to me.

Graphically it isn't much different than Far Cry 3 - you're in the mountains instead of on a tropical island. But the setting really is pretty slick; very colorful. The game area has a more "lived in" feel to it than FC3 did.

superjawes

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Finally picked up Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, and I'm immediately hooked (and only an hour in).

On a different note...I'm looking at the Humble Indie Bundle 14, and I am very tempted to pick it up for Shadow Warrior, UnEpic, and Outlast. Worth it?

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 pm

superjawes wrote:
Finally picked up Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, and I'm immediately hooked (and only an hour in).

On a different note...I'm looking at the Humble Indie Bundle 14, and I am very tempted to pick it up for Shadow Warrior, UnEpic, and Outlast. Worth it?

I got the bundle. Shadow Warrior is a fun game, but nothing special. Unepic is decent. I would suggest just picking the $1 tier if you wish. I can give you a copy of outlast. I got the Tier 2 mainly for Torchlight II. I have no intention of ever playing outlast, so I dont mind giving you the key if you are interested.
Intel i7 4790K
MAXIMUS VII RANGER motherboard
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

superjawes

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:15 am

Really, I was only looking at Outlast because I was looking at Shadow Warrior (so it was more to justify the whole thing). I might just pass on this one.

I finished Gat out of Hell, and every minute was excellent. The problem is that there aren't a lot of minutes :(