Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tabletop Simulator, online sandbox with physics

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Hey everyone! Hopefully this isn't against any rules, but I wanted to share my project with one of my favorite websites that I didn't realize had a forum.

We have a brand new indie game that we’d love for you to check out! It’s called Tabletop Simulator and it’s an online tabletop sandbox with multiplayer physics. It’s a game that offers you the freedom to play how you want without any set rules. If you love board games and are tired of the static and unrealistic web-based games, then this is for you.

We currently have 15 classic games; from Chess to Chinese Checkers and Poker to Dominoes. You can even customize it to create your own games by importing an image onto the board and spawning what you need.

Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274930865/tabletop-simulator
Steam Greenlight - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225493724

Thanks for checking us out! We'd love to hear any feedback you may have!

Berserk Games
Our site
Facebook
Twitter

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: Tabletop Simulator, online sandbox with physics

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:09 pm

So, could this be used to recreate something like Warhammer, or whatever the cool kids are doing these days? They used to have tabletop wargaming nights at my local comic shop, but I haven't seen anything like that in ages around here. Being able to do something like that via online multiplayer could open it up to more players, provided it doesn't fall afoul of somebody's legal team.

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks Hz so good,

We want to allow people to be able import in there own custom stuff, so they can do whatever they want with it. Then we couldn't know about anything illegal in turn :wink:

As the sandbox term implies we want to give you guys the sand, tools, and ability to make your own tools. This should allow near limit-less gaming potential.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Knil wrote:
Thanks Hz so good,

We want to allow people to be able import in there own custom stuff, so they can do whatever they want with it. Then we couldn't know about anything illegal in turn :wink:

As the sandbox term implies we want to give you guys the sand, tools, and ability to make your own tools. This should allow near limit-less gaming potential.

Awesomesauce! :D

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Games Workshop is warming up the nukes because of 3D printing so if you haven't already it would probably be a good idea to consult an IP lawyer before allowing user content to be uploaded to your server, to be sure you're addressing areas where you could be exposed to liability. The outfit behind Second Life has been involved in a lot of legal drama over the years due to questionable user content.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I like the idea, The Warhammer idea is great.

Even a dice rolling simulator would be neat to have on a tablet/ipad etc. For 30 sided dice and smaller for any game like warhammer or dungeons and dragons. I do not play D&D anymore but i used to love it. Thats where my online name came from, my favorite D&D character, Vargis Darkmoor a powerful Half-Ogre fighter with Neutral Good tendencies that had a Human Cleric mother that was raped by a ogre and I had a older Human brother who was also a cleric that kept me on the strait and narrow since half-ogres are not the brightest bunch. But they sure are big and strong 19 strength comes in handy. Except when a opponent makes me turn on my party and they have to subdue me without killing me.

Ah the memories of 8 hr sessions of D&D with 2 orders of pizza boxes around, with a fantastic Dungeon Master that had a flair for verbally describing everything with a lot of detail that he used to pull out of his butt and his huge library of fantasy D&D type books he used to read like crazy.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:03 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Games Workshop is warming up the nukes because of 3D printing so if you haven't already it would probably be a good idea to consult an IP lawyer before allowing user content to be uploaded to your server, to be sure you're addressing areas where you could be exposed to liability. The outfit behind Second Life has been involved in a lot of legal drama over the years due to questionable user content.

The simplest way around that would be for them to *not* host the servers themselves. Let the end-users run their own servers, and then any infringement would be on them. Sub-optimal to be sure, but it's the simplest solution to the issue.

In a more perfect world, Games Workshop could either license the Simulator from the dev team, and then run the servers themselves (and offer promos and such, to encourage return customers), or push out an electronic version of the rulesets/figurines/campaigns designed to be compatible with the Simulator, allowing end-users to play without the potential scare of an inbound lawsuit.

/Just my two cents.

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 pm

These servers are player hosted on their local machine, they just connect to a master server so server browser functionality exists. Custom content will be distribute by the players too each other on server connect.

We have an account system to verify unique names and allow players to block troll players from their games. Friends list is most likely down the line as well, depends whether we can make it past the great gatekeeper (greenlight).

We'd love to release this on mobile devices but Unity engine support for that costs $1500 for each platform. That's why we have it as our highest stretch goal.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:46 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Games Workshop is warming up the nukes because of 3D printing

TBH, I doubt they'll bother for a while. Games workshop figurines are not that expensive, at least not over here. squad of 12 or 18 figurines on 25mm bases is around £20 ($35). Completely Ignoring the $2750 outlay for buying the half-decent Ultimaker2 3D printer, the ABS spools are $45 each and you'd probably get 30 figurines to a spool given that there's always some wastage. Not only would it take you a 20 hours to print each batch of figures at a time, it would actually use a not-insignificant amount of power - given that these things operate with both a heated bed and a heater nozzle for prolonged periods using about 250W throughout the build.

If you 3D printed figurines, it would take ages, the surface finish would be rubbish compared to the smoother result from an injection-moulded piece, and you'd save very little money even if you had free access to a 3D printer.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Hz so good wrote:
So, could this be used to recreate something like Warhammer, or whatever the cool kids are doing these days? They used to have tabletop wargaming nights at my local comic shop, but I haven't seen anything like that in ages around here. Being able to do something like that via online multiplayer could open it up to more players, provided it doesn't fall afoul of somebody's legal team.

Oh! I used to play Warhammer too!! Started with Orks, then switched to Eldar. It's been a looong time, but I still have my army in the closet. I'll admit, I liked it more for the comradery and artistic freedoms above all else. I have enjoyed the Warhammer 40k Dawn of War computer games though, up until "Orks Must Die" (Warhammer isn't a 1st person shooter, come on.)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 pm

What a crazy day so far let's just say we've gone from being 1k away from our goal to almost reaching our second stretch goal.

Thanks for checking us out everyone.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Games Workshop is warming up the nukes because of 3D printing......

That's BS....I dont understand how people are going to stop 3D printing. It's like the Xerox machine all over again. And before that the mimeograph machine. UGGGGG.

As long as someone doesn't use it for monetary gain they should.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:06 pm

"Don't copy that floppy!"

Anyhow, very cool and I think I'll toss some money in when I get home!
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:08 am

Omniman wrote:
"Don't copy that floppy!"

Anyhow, very cool and I think I'll toss some money in when I get home!

Thanks Omniman, we can't wait to get working on the RPG kit!

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 pm

We have reached the RPG kit stretch goal and on our way to the mobile versions of the game at 10k! Also added an oculus rift support for a stretch goal! Thank you everyone!

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Sorry for the triple post!

We are 400% funded on the Kickstarter with 7 days left and we got some awesome stretch goals for you guys. Oculus rift and CastAR support, will add an entire new dynamic to the game, getting us that much closer to the virtual reality experience.

We also now support Cryptocurrency!

Thanks for all the support!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Knil wrote:

Yes, this project is cool, but I really love this tableflip gif :lol:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Haha thanks!

Mentawl
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes, after seeing that animation, I think you need both a "capitulate" and a "ragequit" option in the game ... :)
i7-8700k @ 4.7ghz | MSI Krait Z370 Gaming | nVidia GTX1080 | 16gb DDR4 3200 | 2x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Our Kickstarter has blown up, because our game ended up on the Reddit front page twice yesterday. We are now over 1,000% funded and there is 40 hours left!

Super excited thanks for all the support!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 am

I voted on Greenlight and sent the link around, but since you're well-funded, I'll wait to purchase till you're on Steam. I like having my collection in one place. ;)

Congrats, though!

Edit: What's your netcode look like? Think it'll work well with 100-150ms lag?
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Sorry for the late response! It should work fine there might be a slight delay when moving objects around, but it will be completely playable.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Knil wrote:
Our Kickstarter has blown up, because our game ended up on the Reddit front page twice yesterday. We are now over 1,000% funded and there is 40 hours left!

Super excited thanks for all the support!

Welcome to membase

http://cheezburger.com/8126020608
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Esproc
Gerbil

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:10 pm

This is really awesome, will be even better when someone does a tabletop RPG server.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 am

When I first looked at this thread I honestly thought you were trolling with that raytracing demo that came out a while ago. Turns out you're actually doing something really cool here. Will support after work.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Knil
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey every thanks for all your support, we just released on Steam Early Access!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160